HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:02 PM

Chicagos population

Widely overlooked in the last U.S census estimates for 2018-2019 was that the population of Chicago was at about 2,693,000. That is pretty much on par with the 2010 U.S census of 2,695,000, though I know it was later revised to just over 2.7 million. My question is with all the dire stories of predicted great declining population loss for Chicago, has the city in reality stabilized, poised to grow, or still expected to show declining population loss in the official 2020 census and beyond?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago (city and burbs) has been more or less stagnant in population growth for the past decade.

In the city proper, modest gains in all other demographic groups have been more than offset by the unrelenting black flight that has been hollowing-out many south and west side neighborhoods for 4 decades now.

Sadly, that phenomenon shows no signs of stopping, and with many of those same nabes suffering from the bulk of the looting from the recent unrest, that outflow could even accelerate in the coming years.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:21 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
i cant remember or find where i heard this, but i read somewhere that if downtown chicago were its own city, it would not only be growing, but would actually be the fastest growing (percent wise) city in the US

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
i cant remember or find where i heard this, but i read somewhere that if downtown chicago were its own city, it would not only be growing, but would actually be the fastest growing (percent wise) city in the US
Yeah, definitely gonna need to source that one bud.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:42 PM
Never Dell

Many cities' greater downtown areas would be.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Yeah, definitely gonna need to source that one bud.
https://www.brookings.edu/research/b...e-coronavirus/

Quote:
WHICH DOWNTOWNS STAND OUT?
No downtown grew faster than Chicago. In 1980, the downtown of Chicago accounted for just 0.23% of the metro area’s population; by 2018, it accounted for 1.16%. That percentage point change may sound small, but downtown Chicago is anything but. Over nearly four decades, downtown Chicago’s population ballooned from just over 18,000 to more than 110,000. It was especially exceptional because Cook County, Ill. began losing population in 2000.

Chicago by decade. 2000-2010 was insane.

Last edited by Kngkyle; Jun 3, 2020 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:08 PM

^ But in the case of Miami, I would still guess that about 10,000 - 15,000 of that 24,175 don't actually live there/live there year-round.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:53 PM

The gains are equally impressive on a percentage basis compared with other cities, with Chicago leading the period with 500 percent growth. Miami did manage to outgrow Chicago on a percentage basis between 2000 and 2018—203 percent versus 155 percent. But the Florida city started from a much smaller base, and as of 2018 had 24,175 downtown residents compared with Chicago’s 110,397.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...wns-hot-streak

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions