HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:00 AM

That’s a handsome building

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Much improved.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:27 PM

Looks nice but it's hard to tell what's going on with the facade. Is it angled concrete lines that stick out, forming narrow six-story "X" shapes? Kind of weird that there are so few balconies; I can't think of a recent residential building that doesn't have a balcony for every unit.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:03 PM

Looks like a great addition for downtown. Simple and elegant.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Looks nice but it's hard to tell what's going on with the facade. Is it angled concrete lines that stick out, forming narrow six-story "X" shapes? Kind of weird that there are so few balconies; I can't think of a recent residential building that doesn't have a balcony for every unit.
The renderings without balconies are probably the initial concept with some revisions to come. I assume there will be more balconies than shown.

Ironically, I just saw this tower with a similar facade.

https://www.wdgarch.com/portfolio/projects/the-witmer

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:21 PM

1018 West Peachtree updated.

The planned student housing increased from 202 to 264 units (and 3 floors) with 376 market-rate apartments in the phase 1 tower.

The author of the Business Chronicle article doesn't seem to realize that they did not include the parking in the original story on the project which was reported as 27 and 22 stories.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...l-housing.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate this project. I haven't been thrilled about a new project in a while. It checks all of the boxes.
  • Fills in an empty lot
  • No huge parking podium
  • Doesn't consume the whole block
  • Provides an essential community benefit
  • Enhances the neighborhood rather than detracting from it

This is the kind of fine-grained infill that downtown really needs to rebuild the historic core that got swiss cheesed during urban renewal.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 9:54 PM

I was just reading the DRC recap. I don't agree with the committee this time. They made them redo the parking structure and now they've told them to go back to the original design. I think they came up with a good design that complements the rest of the building and would give the building a nice street presence as they requested. I guess they want the combination of the two - better street presence with the uniform design but I honestly think either would look good.

Quote:
1081 Juniper Street

Middle Street Partners and Brock Hudgins Architects returned with updated plans based on feedback received last month from the DRC. The basic configuration of the two-tower project (470 units and 9,000 SF retail in total) remained unchanged with new modifications focused primarily on the parking podium. Additionally, the curb cut on Juniper was limited to ingress-only.   

While the design of the towers (38 and 34 stories each) is the signature element of this striking project, the DRC continued to stress the importance of the street level experience, especially given the proximity of Piedmont Park. They urged the applicant to return to the more cohesive design, presented previously, which integrated the building components in a more seamless manner. Further, the committee noted the limited outdoor dining and reinforced the importance of creating additional patio space along Juniper St.

The committee anticipates receiving updated plans in the coming weeks. These will be reviewed electronically to confirm that design recommendations have been addressed.

Original design

Last edited by Martinman; Apr 15, 2021 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:33 AM

@bryantim3, I agree completely regarding the teachers village project. Looks great. It’s a project that will make buildings around it look good AND appreciate its own design.

@Martinman, I don’t agree. The updated parking deck doesn’t go with the neighborhood or really anything. With the deck up front on the sidewalk and the building pushed back away, it feels like a block of just parking deck. Reminds me more of the parking decks along Novare projects. Sticks out like a sore thumb

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:30 AM

based on looks, I like the original proposal much better than the new proposal, with the brick bottom. I think it is great to have patio space, however, I'm not sure this was ever a priority with other towers, so I'm not exactly sure why it is a big deal here, unless the committee wants to recreate Joes on Juniper somehow.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:54 AM

[OT]Out of curiosity what and why are there so many of this building style downtown? Seems a little unimaginative.[/OT]

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
[OT]Out of curiosity what and why are there so many of this building style downtown? Seems a little unimaginative.[/OT]

These were during John Portman's "glory" days, (1960s), of urbanizing Atlanta. It is brutalist in many ways, but in other ways they have aged pretty well. A similar development was Embarcadero Center in San Fran, also by Portman.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Fairlie-Poplar's SPI 1 Subarea is a "light" historic district in terms of how new buildings are controlled. Street-facing balconies are *generally* not allowed beause there are none in the district today. When permitted, they are limited to juliet or recessed balconies.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Please research John Portman. This was one of the most iconic projects in the world when it was built. There was a specific design concept behind the repetition.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:01 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Please research John Portman. This was one of the most iconic projects in the world when it was built. I love it!
Yes. Also google "Peachtree Center" which is what those buildings are named.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:56 PM

I think every single skyscraper in that shot is Portman, from the first Peachtree Center tower (1965) right up to SunTrust Plaza (1992).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I think every single skyscraper in that shot is Portman, from the first Peachtree Center tower (1965) right up to SunTrust Plaza (1992).
I think Rockefeller Center in NYC as well as the city in the Wizard of Oz were early examples of an early American trend to have clusters of buildings that all look the same, which offer a certain beauty of uniformity. Hudson Yards, and most large scale developments these days seem to discourage uniformity in favor of unique buildings that add individual character to each building. Just my observation.

Last edited by montydawg; Apr 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM. Reason: done corrected my grammar

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:58 PM

GWCC Hotel to break ground this month

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
Quote:
Construction for Drew Co.'s 975-room, full-service Signia hotel overlooking Mercedes-Benz Stadium begins at the end of the month. The Boston-based hotel developer is bullish that Atlanta’s first convention hotel in nearly two decades will be a success — despite a number of operators nationwide cutting expenses amid depleted occupancy rates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The skyline-shaping hotel is the focal point of GWCCA’s campus development efforts, which also include building a pedestrian mall named after civil rights leader Andrew Young. The mall is set to be finished by this fall and a new transportation depot is expected to be done by next spring.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Please research John Portman. This was one of the most iconic projects in the world when it was built. There was a specific design concept behind the repetition.
Guess I should have thought of this. Just thinking Portman brings up images of Renaissance Center, Marriott Marquis or The Cancer Society Center.

And speaking of The Cancer Society Center. Check out this pic from this morning and guess what is special about it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
And speaking of The Cancer Society Center. Check out this pic from this morning and guess what is special about it.
Centennial Olympic Park is actually open?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta