HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 9:10 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2006, 4:59 AM

So no elevator core first here like at the Summit?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 10:22 PM

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 8:29 PM
under the influence...

A few more pics to add, Sunday, Sept. 3rd. Up to the 2nd floor.

from the northwest corner, looking southeast

from the southwest corner, looking northeast

This building has a narrower footpring than I thought.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 6:19 AM

Wasn't this supposed to rise by a floor per week starting with the begining of July or something along those lines?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 11:46 AM

I'm excited for this one too--my wife's family is in Phoenix, so we're down there 2-3 times per year...it'll be nice to have some nicer-looking buildings that aren't earth-toned in the skyline. Keep 'em coming!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 11:01 PM

Good point, this was supposed to rise a story per week. Maybe money problems, unfortuantely...Also i thought it was supposed to be a little taller.
Supposedly it was supposed to be taller than Chase Tower. Now its just another mini tower in this supposedly 5th largest city.
I hope develoopers realize that PhX is a Goldmine with alot of gold yet to be discovered. what I mean is, PHX is either number one or two in population growth and in 10 years, Phx / Tucson will be connected. More and more people will live in az.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:26 PM

I don’t believe 44 Monroe was ever slated to be taller than the Chase Tower. From its initial planning it was slated as ‘third’ tallest in downtown. While there are now questions as to what ‘third’ tallest really meant it will still make an impact on the DT skyline.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 8:29 PM
UrbanPHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxtempe
Supposedly it was supposed to be taller than Chase Tower. Now its just another mini tower in this supposedly 5th largest city.
Have a little faith, this is still the tallest residential tower in AZ, and will be 400 feet if the crown gets built.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:30 AM

Looks like they are working on floor #5.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:45 AM

Work has been moving along noticeably fast the past week or so ...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 7:58 AM
The Lizard King

Thanks for the photo and the update.....

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 3:08 AM

Okay, here's a view from the 10th floor of the Orpheum Lofts. I talked to the sales rep who said he sold a unit today. Huzzah! Another Orpheum resident told me he's bought a unit at both 44 Monroe and Portland Place, so confident he is in their appreciation.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri
Okay, here's a view from the 10th floor of the Orpheum Lofts. I talked to the sales rep who said he sold a unit today. Huzzah! Another Orpheum resident told me he's bought a unit at both 44 Monroe and Portland Place, so confident he is in their appreciation.
I was half tempted to flip the cam over to video and get the crane in action moving back and forth.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 3:26 AM

Soleri-
It is actually creepy how similarly we take pics!
I talked to that guy too-
He was a furniture dealer in L.A. prior to moving here- he was all enthusiastic about 44 Monroe!
-Cool guy- we need more like him Downtown!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 4:17 AM

^he had great 50s pieces. And what great views from his condo. The south side of Orpheum Lofts is much better than the north where even their sliver of views will be compromised by 44 Monroe. Did you notice their parking cover was taken down? Apparently their use permit expired.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 4:20 AM

Quote:
^he had great 50s pieces. And what great views from his condo. The south side of Orpheum Lofts is much better than the north where even their sliver of views will be compromised by 44 Monroe. Did you notice their parking cover was taken down? Apparently their use permit expired.
One of the tenants there told me that the developer is building a building behind the Orpheum which will include parking accomodations for both the Orpheum, and the new structure. I asked when I noticed.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDweller
One of the tenants there told me that the developer is building a building behind the Orpheum which will include parking accomodations for both the Orpheum, and the new structure. I asked when I noticed.
Originally, the plan was to build a four story parking garage with ground-floor retail. The building would have been disguised as a few separate older structures so the ugliness quotient would have been dramatically reduced. When the investor mania hit, they scrapped this plan and considered a condo tower, initially 10 stories, and later up to 20. Now that the investor storm has blown over, they might be returning to the original plan.

IMO, that plan is really the best. With the Orpheum Theater catercorner, parking is a big issue. Since this is one of the best venues in the city, the absence of some quality restaurants in vicinity is glaring. Still, as you probably noticed, the retail storefronts at the Orpheum Lofts are still empty. I had heard a winebar was going in on the 1st & Adams corner space, but the leasee got nervous and pulled back.

I don't mean to overlook Nick's 101 on the other side. It's a great lunch spot and the outdoor seating is really nice.

Last edited by soleri; Oct 2, 2006 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally, the plan was to build a four story parking garage with ground-floor retail. The building would have been disguised as a few separate older structures so the ugliness quotient would have been dramatically reduced. When the investor mania hit, they scrapped this plan and considered a condo tower, initially 10 stories, and later up to 20. Now that the investor storm has blown over, they might be returning to the original plan.

IMO, that plan is really the best. With the Orpheum Theater catercorner, parking is a big issue. Since this is one of the best venues in the city, the absence of some quality restaurants in vicinity is glaring. Still, as you probably noticed, the retail storefronts at the Orpheum Lofts are still empty. I had heard a winebar was going in on the 1st & Adams corner space, but the leasee got nervous and pulled back.

I don't mean to overlook Nick's 101 on the other side. It's a great lunch spot and the outdoor seating is really nice.
My parents continually remarked how nothing was open DT today. It is a real shame. I think N's 101 was open, but not a SINGLE patron to be seen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 10:22 AM
Desert Urbanite

A few more weeks (I'd say three) and the 8th floor will be done (the first floor is obviously the lobby and retail shops, and the 7 floors above are all parking, and the top of the 8th is going to have a pool, the fitness center and conference room, I think).

After that, it's all condos from there, all the way to the 34th floor. Also, once the 8th floor is done, we can start seeing the building pop over that ugly parking garage that is abutting the north side.

-Andrew

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest