HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 7:09 PM

Won't Colorado Tower fill in some of the gap between the W and Austonian from that angle?

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Fox News out of all the stations seems to interview people from Austin the most. They usually use the capitol or downtown at night as the back drop though. It's nice to see a clear day view of dt even if it's partially blocked by a huge Rove head.
I split my TV viewing time between all of the news channels (I couldn't call myself an independent otherwise), and CNBC also has a fair amount of contributors from Austin. They don't usually identify them as being from Austin, but the Capitol is the backdrop.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
MSNBC contributor Victoria DeFrancesco-Soto is a UT professor in political science and does her work from Austin. My sister cuts her hair and she's friends with my graduate faculty advisor.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 10:18 PM

It would make sense that Austin, being the capitol of Texas, the most recognizably conservative state in the country, gets used by Fox a lot. I'm sure that alone confuses a lot of folks. It's a fine way to "keep Austin weird," I guess. haha

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
It would make sense that Austin, being the capitol of Texas, the most recognizably conservative state in the country, gets used by Fox a lot. I'm sure that alone confuses a lot of folks. It's a fine way to "keep Austin weird," I guess. haha
MSNBC also interviews a lot of people here like wwmiv mentioned. While Texas is a conservative state Austin is liberal and the MSNBC hosts know it. I'm sorry I wouldnt waste energy watching Faux news if it was the only supposedly "news" channel left.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:45 AM
Meh

Fox's troubles for me are less because they are conservative and more because of the lack of quality in their reporting. I momentarily watched Fox's coverage of the capture of the Boston Marathon bomber as it was happening that morning, and the way they covered it was just so very amateurish. While the other networks had already concluded on the subject after the suspect was captured, Fox continued to speculate and theorize with dramatic speak and video clips. It was like watching a high school journalism class video.

I don't really watch MSNBC either. I try to steer clear of news outlets that lean one way or the other. Plus, I don't have cable which actually feels like a luxury every time I see it at a friend's/family member's house and am reminded of why I can't stand to watch it.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 6:47 AM

MSNBC is definitely the left wing version of Fox. The 24/7 cable news organizations have all targeted a specific audience and preach to the choir instead of presenting unbiased news casts.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Let's not delude ourselves on this. Although MSNBC quite clearly has a left wing bias, it is not the equivalent of Fox News on the left. There is significant evidence and academic finding showing that MSNBC viewers are significantly (as in statistical significance) more knowledgeable on current events than all other major news outlet viewerships and that viewers of Fox News are significantly less knowledgeable on current events than all other major news outlet viewers.

Current findings suggest that this is at least in part due to self-selection biases (I.E. already intelligent individuals watch MSNBC, while idiots watch Fox, etc.), but that most of the difference exists because the information provided by the news outlets is significant different in quality (bolstered by, again, much academic study that shows that the quality of news - distinguishing between news and entertainment media here is vital, by the way - provided by MSNBC is substantially better than that provided by Fox).

Sure, the news provided by MSNBC definitely has a left wing-bias (also shown by academic study), but that does not make it a Fox equivalent. There is no left wing Fox equivalent currently in American news.

By the way, most political communications scholars find some level of bias in all major outlets. ABC and NBC had a slight rightward bias in 2004, IIRC, in the literature, whereas CBS had a slight leftward bias, again IIRC.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

MSNBC is awful. Chris Matthew is a blowhard moron. NBC is an all around failure.

CNN is becoming a joke. Their disaster coverage is so lacking now that they are a shadow of what they used to be.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
MSNBC is awful. Chris Matthew is a blowhard moron. NBC is an all around failure.

CNN is becoming a joke. Their disaster coverage is so lacking now that they are a shadow of what they used to be.
I.E. every single news station sucks, and I generally agree. My point was that although they all suck, they all suck in different degrees and for sometimes different reasons.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 9:16 PM
Meh

There are other reasons why they're becoming less reliable, but it mostly has to do with them not being as relevant anymore. And the reason is pretty simple. Social media. Everyday people are now reporting the news since virtually everyone has a cell phone and a Facebook or Twitter account. Things get reported faster now that the public has basically been turned into one mass reporting group. It's not like it used to be where you truly needed the news to learn about something that happened, especially when it was far away. Now distances aren't so far and people are closer, thanks to social media. Information and reports now spread like wildfire before official media outlets can mobilize to cover a story.

I remember the night Osama Bin Laden was killed, it was reported not by the local media in Pakistan, but by a man who lived in that neighborhood and reported unusual activity. He unwittingly tweeted about the killing of the world's most wanted man.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
His head does fit nicely in the gap between the W and the Austonian:

I'd rather see the Frost Tower fill in that gap.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
MSNBC also interviews a lot of people here like wwmiv mentioned. While Texas is a conservative state Austin is liberal and the MSNBC hosts know it. I'm sorry I wouldnt waste energy watching Faux news if it was the only supposedly "news" channel left.
Yeah I know. Its just not entirely surprising that Austin gets a significant contribution of exposure through the conservative outlets.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 12:35 AM
Meh

I've posted a new photo thread. You can see it here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205785

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 12:51 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Let's not delude ourselves on this. Although MSNBC quite clearly has a left wing bias, it is not the equivalent of Fox News on the left. There is significant evidence and academic finding showing that MSNBC viewers are significantly (as in statistical significance) more knowledgeable on current events than all other major news outlet viewerships and that viewers of Fox News are significantly less knowledgeable on current events than all other major news outlet viewers.

Current findings suggest that this is at least in part due to self-selection biases (I.E. already intelligent individuals watch MSNBC, while idiots watch Fox, etc.), but that most of the difference exists because the information provided by the news outlets is significant different in quality (bolstered by, again, much academic study that shows that the quality of news - distinguishing between news and entertainment media here is vital, by the way - provided by MSNBC is substantially better than that provided by Fox).

Sure, the news provided by MSNBC definitely has a left wing-bias (also shown by academic study), but that does not make it a Fox equivalent. There is no left wing Fox equivalent currently in American news.

By the way, most political communications scholars find some level of bias in all major outlets. ABC and NBC had a slight rightward bias in 2004, IIRC, in the literature, whereas CBS had a slight leftward bias, again IIRC.
There are also studies that show the opposite of what you are saying. To me MSNBC is off in it's own universe. Fox and CNN provide a left and right balance that I mostly watch.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:03 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Only thing I'll say on this subject is Rachael Maddow is awesome!

I really need to get DT soon and take a lot of pics of the construction including the West Campus area.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
There are also studies that show the opposite of what you are saying. To me MSNBC is off in it's own universe. Fox and CNN provide a left and right balance that I mostly watch.
LewRockwell.com anyone?

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:27 AM

Quote:
None that I'm aware of that are academically accepted. Alot of it does depend on coding, though, and proper interpretation of the data is also important, so there's also wiggle room for discussion.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 11:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Austin skyline on MSNBC right now.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Austin skyline on MSNBC right now.
Who was the giant talking head in front of the skyline this time? I bet it wasn't Karl Rove this time.

CNBC had a reporter reporting live from downtown today about that financial adviser/investor that was found dead in Mason County a few days ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin