HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:01 PM

Inflation = the free stimulus $ was not free. Plus Putin problem.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Inflation = the free stimulus $ was not free. Plus Putin problem.
I would add that constrained labor has been a huge issue for the construction industry for many years, so opening our borders to allow more migrant labor would help with salary inflation for business. I guess many are benefiting from increased wages right now, but it also comes with the cost of higher costs across the board. Japan is a poster child for having closed borders and what stagnation it can bring to a large economy if labor is constrained.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 3:52 AM

Does anyone know what the deal is with the abandoned road project straight east of the international terminal? We drive through there regularly and it is a disaster. It looks like they were trying to build an exit off of I-285 for going into the International terminal.

They started to turn Conley Rd into a four lane and connect it to Charles W. Grant Parkway. They installed these nice looking street lights, but they aren't connected to electricity. Old Dixie Highway has also been rerouted onto a new four lane section. But none of the four lane sections are fully open, they only use half the road and have traffic cones set up everywhere weaving back and forth. Really an unsafe situation to drive through- especially at night. It's been abandoned like this for three years now.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Does anyone know what the deal is with the abandoned road project straight east of the international terminal? We drive through there regularly and it is a disaster. It looks like they were trying to build an exit off of I-285 for going into the International terminal.

They started to turn Conley Rd into a four lane and connect it to Charles W. Grant Parkway. They installed these nice looking street lights, but they aren't connected to electricity. Old Dixie Highway has also been rerouted onto a new four lane section. But none of the four lane sections are fully open, they only use half the road and have traffic cones set up everywhere weaving back and forth. Really an unsafe situation to drive through- especially at night. It's been abandoned like this for three years now.
I had heard that it the stoppage was due to the railroad company since a new railroad bridge would need to be built, but take that with a grain of salt. Seems this entire project is being done to reduce the congestion that used to happen there with a semi-crowded intersection complex sandwiched around those train tracks.

But yes, for the longest the entire thing just sat there with no underpass (under the train tracks) to get to the other side, but now work has started again and I can see the new rail bridges being put in. Hopefully the full potential of this "interchange" amongst those railroad tracks is realized soon. They started this whole re-do in 2016.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 12:39 AM

Trolley Line Trail extension is under construction.
https://twitter.com/cqholt/status/15...5xF8MZ5xhMaOQw

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:26 PM
Kev K

Updated infrastructure dates from the Midtown Alliance a week ago:

Youtube link to presentation

• Juniper Complete St
o Invitation to bid - August, 2022
o Construction Q4, 2022
• Piedmont Ave Complete St
o Invitation to Bid – Q4, 2022
o Construction Start – Q1, 2023
• Fifth St Complete St
o Invitation to Bid – Q3, 2022
• 15th St Extension
o Invitation to Bid – August, 2022
o Construction Start – November, 2022
• Spring St Bike Lane
o Construction Start - Q1, 2023
• 10th St Bridge expansion
o Invitation to Bid – Q1, 2023
o Construction Start -

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post

• Juniper Complete St
o Invitation to bid - August, 2022
o Construction Q4, 2022
• Piedmont Ave Complete St
• Fifth St Complete St
o Invitation to Bid – Q3, 2022
• 15th St Extension
o Invitation to Bid – August, 2022
o Construction Start – November, 2022
• Spring St Bike Lane
o Construction Start - Q1, 2023
• 10th St Bridge expansion
o Invitation to Bid – Q1, 2023
o Construction Start -
Great update! Let's hope this is for real this time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post

Thanks for sharing.
So the 15th street extension is scheduled to start this year.
Lots of good projects in the works in Midtown and its good that they are moving forward again.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 3:35 PM

GDOT Northside Drive widening

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 4:10 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Wow! Is that conceptual? A proposal? Or is it funded and approved? Massive massive project.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Wow! Is that conceptual? A proposal? Or is it funded and approved? Massive massive project.
WOW, that is a ton to digest and looks like a gigantic pie in the sky. Please say it is funded. Still stroady but WHAT an improvement.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:46 PM

NSD proposal appears to add slip lanes, widen the road, add lanes, potentially remove part of the tech parkway trail… that proposal as is will be at the detriment and deaths of pedestrians including Georgia Tech students and low income Westside residents. The proposal is not good enough and absolutely does not prioritize pedestrians, cyclists, nor transit. It prioritized vehicle and freight truck throughput at the detriment of constituents of Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:29 PM

Where's space for the dedicated lanes for either BRT or LRT? For a road that has acted as a barrier between Ga. Tech and the Westside and one that is slated for a ton more residential and commercial development, this isn't really much of an improvement. If it's going to remain the car sewer that it is, can we get landscaped medians like the ones in front of Lenox along the entire stretch from the stadium to I-75?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Where's space for the dedicated lanes for either BRT or LRT? For a road that has acted as a barrier between Ga. Tech and the Westside and one that is slated for a ton more residential and commercial development, this isn't really much of an improvement. If it's going to remain the car sewer that it is, can we get landscaped medians like the ones in front of Lenox along the entire stretch from the stadium to I-75?
Agreed. The 94 bus needs a dedicated lane to West End and 17th (where bus lanes already exist), since we're never going to get rail to serve the booming Howell Mill Road corridor. This should be THE transit service to that area. I'd love rail, but I'm a realist.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
This is awful as a whole. There are parts to like, North Ave, Hollowell, 14th. However, the rest, they're eliminating turns everywhere, and making this road even faster than it already is. It'll be more of an intown speed through than anything else, which is the wrong way to treat this road.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 8:19 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
This is awful as a whole. There are parts to like, North Ave, Hollowell, 14th. However, the rest, they're eliminating turns everywhere, and making this road even faster than it already is. It'll be more of an intown speed through than anything else, which is the wrong way to treat this road.
I wasn't making a comment on the pros and cons, I was making a comment on the massive scope, and wondering if it was a done deal or conceptual.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I wasn't making a comment on the pros and cons, I was making a comment on the massive scope, and wondering if it was a done deal or conceptual.
Got to be conceptual. Why too massive and would have to be done is several multiyear phases. Also lots of right away's to acquire and this would likely take years. The Ga Tech right of ways may be fairly easy but still a lot of others. Also it must be an older design since it is still stroad intense. Though it does have a Hawk which is pretty new so maybe just updated. Probably could use a couple of more Hawks. As a runner I know ever meter and have pounded it all multiple times including parts it doesn't have sidewalks (Deering Rd to Bellemeade).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 10:36 AM

The fact that GDOT is using over 5 year old satellite imagery is hilarious and fits so well with their image of being completely incompetent. This is an absolutely horrible waste of money that could be spent so much better. I like some of the intersection changes, but I imagine the widening has to do with the awful stadium traffic during games and concerts. This should be a city road with wide sidewalks and bike lanes, not express lanes down the westside that look like they came from suburban Texas where everything is bigger. It would be much better help and a whole lot better use of the funds to expand public transport access aka MARTA which always seems to be treated like the ugly stepchild. Anyone with a brain sees that to be a world class city, you must have good public transit as the backbone. Thank you for coming to my TED talk

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:21 AM
Development Spectator

GDOT Seeks Public Input for the Northside Drive Corridor Stu

Deleted. Old info.

Last edited by daharris80; Oct 24, 2022 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:23 PM

Science Square bridge

https://ce.gatech.edu/news/2023/01/b...g-gap-westside
Quote:
Inspired by one of modern London’s most famous landmarks, a team of Georgia Tech students has created a winning design for a bridge to guide future growth of Georgia Tech’s campus and the city of Atlanta.

The Westside Community Connector Bridge Class combined an architecture studio and a civil engineering special problems course, resulting in a collaborative design competition during the Fall 2022 semester. Comprised of graduate students from both disciplines, the class met weekly for guest lectures, site visits, and combined studio time with design and engineering professionals. The class even traveled to London over fall break to seek inspiration from the city’s many unique pedestrian bridges.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta