HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

425 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 11:32 PM

all those designs are pretty bland. wasn't this tower supposed to be iconic?

the one on the far right isn't too bad. Nothing of note though.

there are some amazing towers being built around the world right now. New York is really going to have to step up its game if it wants to be in the conversations of cities with modern iconic towers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 12:47 AM

Love the canyon...

http://oma.eu/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
To expand on the twisting metaphor, I do really hope that the Koolhaas design is one day chosen for a spot in the (hopefully) approved MidTown East redevelopment zone. It could even help fill a void Downtown that 56 Leonard will create.
Apropos of this thread, that comparative model of Lord Foster's winner is *sharp*. From due East/West, the appearance of a triple spire (i.e. the fins) will give this part of the skyline a needed and well-deserved boost.
It's not like 1400' tall 432 Park Ave across the street won't give this area a skyline boost

But I know what you mean. The triple fins will leave an intriguing impression on the skyline to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
there are some amazing towers being built around the world right now. New York is really going to have to step up its game if it wants to be in the conversations of cities with modern iconic towers.
I don't think there's a city in the world with close to as many iconic towers planned as NYC.

Dubai, Shanghai and most of the A-list others in the Middle East and Asia have few upcoming proposals relative to NYC (and that's not even going into architectural distinction, which is really subjective, but still, not really close...).

I mean, what city are you referring to? I can't think of any.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think there's a city in the world with close to as many iconic towers planned as NYC.

Dubai, Shanghai and most of the A-list others in the Middle East and Asia have few upcoming proposals relative to NYC (and that's not even going into architectural distinction, which is really subjective, but still, not really close...).

I mean, what city are you referring to? I can't think of any.
Well, if you look at the Supertall U/C page and proposal page, there a ton of cities. I'm not sure if any one city has as many proposals as NY (although china seems to have a proposal with commencing of construction all in the same week).

What I'm really saying though is NY isn't doing anything that is very "iconic". If you look at those 4 proposals, nothing has any real wow factor to it. I understand those are just basic placeholder designs for the most part, but there is nothing about them that sticks out in any way.

The only tower that could have been deemed "iconic" would have probably been Tower Verre. But, it doesn't seem like that is going anywhere at the moment and it was kind of ruined by the height reduction anyway.

Maybe they should have called on that same architect to design a somewhat similar tower on this site?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:57 AM

And maybe it's just me, but I really hate the design (slightly twisty box).

I mean, how many variations and interpretations of a box does NY need? Seems like a city that was always known for its architecture could do so much more.

Time to really bring the wow factor I say

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Order restored.

This isn't a thread on world architecture, so please take that discussion to another thread.

As far as this tower goes, it will be a modern icon for Park Avenue. Now that I think about it, it already has become one of the more talked about new developments in the City (already mentioned among the likes of Seagram and Lever House), and we're not even close to construction. That's what "starchitecture" gets you. Mix that with iconic Park Avenue and you get, well another icon.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:13 PM

Yeah, I think the fins are really going to be a great addition to the skyline. The others were nice as well, but didn't have the same impact from afar.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I mean, how many variations and interpretations of a box does NY need? Seems like a city that was always known for its architecture could do so much more.
Ok, now I am understanding your viewpoint.

You prefer non-boxy designs, and that isn't going to happen (in most cases) in Manhattan.

Manhattan is on a grid, and the zoning rules require that skyscrapers respect the pedestrian streetscape. In addition, Manhattan skyscrapers are built right up against one another, and you can't, in most cases, even build non-box designs, either legally or practically.

You will never get Dubai-style buildings in Manhattan (which is great, IMO, as I hate those types of buildings, but whatever, it's all personal opinion).

Keep in mind, too, that this is Park Avenue, in the Plaza District. This is, without question, the most blue-chip office district in the U.S. The potential tenants are all hedge funds, private equity funds and the like, and they want conservative, timeless buildings, not flashy, trendy buildings.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 9:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2012/1...5-park-avenue/

L&L Holdings’ David Levinson on New 425 Park Avenue Architectual Designs

By Stephen Kleege
11/07/12

Quote:
L&L Holding Co. late last month chose Foster + Partners’ design for an illuminated 41-story tower at 425 Park Avenue, a few blocks north of the Seagram Building and Lever House, 1950s buildings that helped establish the International Style of glass and steel construction. Foster’s tapered steel-frame tower allows for three gradated tiers of column-free floors, separated by tree-lined terraces where employees will take breaks and exchange ideas, as well as a ground-level public plaza.

...The request for proposals also called for: flexible floorplates, column free-spans and energy efficiency; a “contemporary expression” worthy of the Park Avenue address; spaces conducive to cultural interaction and creativity; and attention to budget. All four designs were produced in collaboration with L&L, which also consulted with experts including Municipal Art Society President Vin Cipolla, Real Estate Board of New York Chairwoman Mary Ann Tighe and Jennifer Raab, the president of Hunter College.

In one “marathon” two-day session, Mr. Levinson said L&L worked and dined with each of the four potential partners. “We weren’t just picking a design,” he said. “We were picking an architect.” Mr. Levinson said construction would proceed in 2015, two years before the city’s proposed Midtown East zoning would take effect and ease constraints on new construction in the area. The plan meets the 25 percent floor-space requirement, and the building’s height isn’t an issue, he said. The ground-floor plaza may require city approval in advance of the rezoning. The alternative, allowable under current rules, would be to enclose the plaza space and lease it to retailers, Mr. Levinson said.

Mr. Levinson predicted that the building, with Central Park views from the upper 20 floors, will attract a mix of international companies desiring a prestigious New York address, private equity firms, hedge funds and high-end fashion conglomerates.

The Park Avenue submarket had a vacancy rate of 9.9 percent in the third quarter, according to Cushman & Wakefield. Rents averaged $79.30 a foot. An architectural trophy may command a premium, however: rents at the Seagram Building reportedly have exceeded $100 a foot.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

If you haven't gotten enough of the renderings, check out these videos...
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/49929

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Posting compilations...

The winning design from Foster

Video Link

Still love Hadid's the best

Video Link

OMA
Video Link

Rogers

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 5:29 AM

Watching those videos breaks my heart all over again. This tower is going to be really good filler for Park Avenue which will be a significant improvement over what is there. But all the other proposals would have been great architecture. When did Foster become so timid?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 5:34 AM

If this building is considered an 'architectural trophy' then architecture in NYC is in a sad state. I really think OMA's proposal was the best, and Zaha Hadid's was also better than Foster's. No matter how tall the fins, it's going to be dwarfed by 432 Park Avenue so it would be better to pay more attention to the entire building... this it seems OMA and Zaha Hadid did well, while Foster did not.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
OMA
Video Link
Are those SSP diagram illustrations @ 6:30?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Could be. Hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Watching those videos breaks my heart all over again. This tower is going to be really good filler for Park Avenue which will be a significant improvement over what is there. But all the other proposals would have been great architecture. When did Foster become so timid?
Yeah, and Hadid gave us music to go with it... But I really would like to see that proposal - either version - built somewhere, even outside of New York.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Could be. Hard to say.

Yeah, and Hadid gave us music to go with it... But I really would like to see that proposal - either version - built somewhere, even outside of New York.
Me too, I liked Hadid's design the most. I guess the problem was her tower was "too organic" for Park Avenue. It certainly would be awesome to see it being built somewhere else.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 7:01 PM
don't *meddle*...

Seems like the final height (i.e. including the fins) is 885 feet!

From CTBUH:

Quote:
Figures
Height: Architectural 260.8 meter / 855 feet
Height: To Tip 260.8 meter / 855 feet
Floors Above Ground 41
Please change thread title to NEW YORK | 425 Park Ave | 885 FT | 41 FLOORS

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Please change thread title to NEW YORK | 425 Park Ave | 885 FT | 41 FLOORS
It's not the final height, Foster's design is more of a template for what will be built. But we'll take it for now.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 PM

I thought we've already gone thru the whole design process and selection magilla.

How is this a template? What needs to be noodled around with?

Regards;

Confused.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive