HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:40 PM

^ Tommy Prince is a pretty well known name in Manitoba.

But isn't that partly the issue here? Giving credit where it is due?

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:44 PM

If I had to choose it would be between Tommy Prince, a legendary war hero, or justice Murray Sinclair. Sinclair is an accomplished man who became the first indigenous judge in Manitoba. He also served on the senate and also sat on the truth and reconciliation commission. A wonderful man who has done amazing work for indigenous Canadians from coast to coast. Very deserving of his own bill.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Ironically, many Canadians are in agreement with him, or at least we don't want that representation for Canada. Personally I like to see the pomp and circumstance of history; we live in a rather callous under cultured and sometimes nonchalantly boring world; it's nice to see, and I don't mind if it represents us either. And remember that it was "Loyalists" that largely populated Ontario.
It was rather impressive to see all the Commonwealth leaders come in with their flags. Any organization that brings countries together during these fractured times is probably a good thing.

And before leaving coronation-related stuff a shoutout to Conservative MP penny Mordant who held up that sword for what must have been well over an hour.

[IMG]sword by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
Credit: Banbury Guardian

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
If I had to choose it would be between Tommy Prince, a legendary war hero, or justice Murray Sinclair. Sinclair is an accomplished man who became the first indigenous judge in Manitoba. He also served on the senate and also sat on the truth and reconciliation commission. A wonderful man who has done amazing work for indigenous Canadians from coast to coast. Very deserving of his own bill.
He is alive and (as far as I know) well.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Max Gros-Louis

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:08 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I don't know how anybody could explain the privileges granted to a small bunch of people that come along a monarchist system in this contemporary day and era.
I don't know what form this day and era recommend. Have there even been any new forms since the early 20th?

In any case, the idea that Britain's monarchy is absurd on the basis of time's passage is itself antique, very late-18th.

Because while it is plainly absurd, the once-shiny republics of that era can be easily as clownish as Charles in his furs.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:09 PM
video et taceo

(Really, though... let's not be fooled by ceremonies. Macron is Rothschild & Cie, Sunak is Goldman Sachs. And rule by lenders goes back to Sumer.)

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am probably more knowledgeable in Canadian history and culture than 95% of the population, and I don't know any of these except for Norval Morrisseau.
I don't know any of these, period.

Let's just remove the racist component from the equation; do we immediately then all agree that these people are not our very best, most meritorious options? If Macdonald and Laurier and our current Head of State aren't fit to be on our currency, then people no one has ever heard of certainly aren't any fitter.

If we want a war hero, Tecumseh probably isn't at the very top either (in a race-blind, strictly meritocratic view). James Wolfe died in the battle that created modern Canada, for example.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:52 PM

Quote:
I am probably more knowledgeable in Canadian history and culture than 95% of the population, and I don't know any of these except for Norval Morrisseau.

How about Tom Longboat - champion long-distance runner and First World War veteran?
I have the same response to Tom Longboat as you had to my suggestions, which I think is indicative of how ignorant even knowledgeable Canadians are of most indigenous contributions to this country.

For what it's worth, Prince and Pegahmagabow are also highly decorated World War veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Let's just remove the racist component from the equation; do we immediately then all agree that these people are not our very best, most meritorious options? If Macdonald and Laurier and our current Head of State aren't fit to be on our currency, then people no one has ever heard of certainly aren't any fitter.

If we want a war hero, Tecumseh probably isn't at the very top either (in a race-blind, strictly meritocratic view). James Wolfe died in the battle that created modern Canada, for example.
The problem with your point is that it assumes our best and brightest also have to be our most famous or renowned. There are plenty of Canadians who did great things for this country but, for whatever reason, have never received the recognition they should have. Viola Desmond is the obvious example given the first time 90% of Canadians ever heard of her was likely when they announced her face on the tenner. I'd absolutely die on the hill that Tommy Prince represents our very best.

And, for what it's worth, some of the people I listed are related to government policies that most Canadians don't even know about. Abe Okpik, for instance, played a major role in replacing the disc number system (a system which identified Inuit by a number on a disc that they had to wear). He also contributed to the Berger Commission, which was one of the first instances of indigenous people in the North having a voice in development of their territory.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:

How about Tom Longboat - champion long-distance runner and First World War veteran?
Longboat might be a good choice. Sasakamoose might be another.
My family lore has it that my paternal grandfather once finished second to Longboat in a race.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 10:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I have the same response to Tom Longboat as you had to my suggestions, which I think is indicative of how ignorant even knowledgeable Canadians are of most indigenous contributions to this country.

I'd argue Longboat is more well known though.

I also know Sasakamoose.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I'd argue Longboat is more well known though.

I also know Sasakamoose.
Perhaps Longboat is more famous in Ontario? A review of his Wikipedia suggests most of his recognition arises from there. I've never heard of the man out West.

Sasakamoose is likely the most famous of the individuals mentioned here.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
How many white long distance running champions and world war one heros are you aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I don't know any of these, period.

Let's decide everything based on race and it will eliminate racism.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
How many white long distance running champions and world war one heros are you aware of?
The same quantity as indigenous long distance running champions and world war one heroes I was aware of prior to today.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
The same quantity as indigenous long distance running champions and world war one heroes I was aware of prior to today.
So only Aboriginal ones should be honored? Is that because their modern historical contribution is so limited that's the best we have?

My ethnic group has contributed little to Canadian history or world history to be honest. I'm glad my grandparents fled and allowed me to flourish on what largely the British built on this cold piece of land. Maybe we shouldnt celebrate only famous people and it's the little people who make a difference but there are lots of those and a huge proportion were also from the British Isles. Look at the dead list from WW1.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 1:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Coinage is fine as far as the visage of the sovereign is concerned (and I'm a monarchist).

Chuck doesn't have to be on the $20 bill. If you wanted a prominent aboriginal on the twenty, do you have a suggestion as to whom???
Chief Dan George?

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 1:35 AM

Pauline Johnson? She lost out to Desmond for the $10 bill.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 1:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Pauline Johnson? She lost out to Desmond for the $10 bill.
How many people still know who she is? We learned about her poetry in elementary school.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
How many people still know who she is? We learned about her poetry in elementary school.
True, her poetry would be out of fashion today, but is that a criteria?

If "I never heard of him/her" is an impediment to consideration, ignorance wins, no?

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
So only Aboriginal ones should be honored? Is that because their modern historical contribution is so limited that's the best we have?

My ethnic group has contributed little to Canadian history or world history to be honest. I'm glad my grandparents fled and allowed me to flourish on what largely the British built on this cold piece of land. Maybe we shouldnt celebrate only famous people and it's the little people who make a difference but there are lots of those and a huge proportion were also from the British Isles. Look at the dead list from WW1.
I'm not sure how you got any of what you think I said from what I said lmao

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada