HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It would only happen if it weren’t going to generate a constitutional crisis.
Not to mention that our so-called 'Constitutional Rights' can so easily be suppressed i.e. 'Trucker Protest', Emergency Act.

If you support the suppression of rights of people you don't agree with then don't be surprised that comes back to bite you in the future - because you agreed.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Monarchy will likely crumble pretty quickly once the queen dies just due to how much colonialism is hated and out of touch now. Also the train wreck that is that family it will likely just become a uk only thing. Canada is incapable of becoming a republic though without constant constutional crises.
As I alluded to before, the monarchy is increasingly challenged and controversial in the UK itself. Way moreso than in Canada.

I often wonder if one of the plausible scenarios might be the UK getting rid of it themselves and pulling the constitutional rug out from under Canada's feet.

Though I think that Proof Sheet's scenario is very likely and that the outpouring of grief and the media coverage could lead to a resurgence of interest and support for the monarchy.

Pretty sure Will and Kate (on the other end of the emotional spectrum) led to a bit of an upward blip in support for it.

The Queen's passing will be that X10000000 in terms of focus on the monarchy.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As I alluded to before, the monarchy is increasingly challenged and controversial in the UK itself. Way moreso than in Canada.

I often wonder if one of the plausible scenarios might be the UK getting rid of it themselves and pulling the constitutional rug out from under Canada's feet.
Probably more of a "null and void" situation then, I'd think. It'd make it easier... though I think them getting rid of it would be tough... it's entrenched and has a lot more history there...

I'm wondering how that could even play out... a reasonable approach might be to deed a bunch of the holdings (there are a LOT) back to the UK gov and keep enough to let the family be "just another set of rich people".

*shrug*

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:46 PM

William and Kate are so bland there is no attachment to them like the support the queen has. And Charles well we all know the answer to that. I think yes when the queen dies there will be interest for a few months but I don't think it will last and I also foresee an even stronger push to get rid of colonialism once she does pass.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
I never thought of this before, but yes I agree. A self implosion from within the UK may be the best scenario. In 2022, I can't even wrap my head around something as archaic as "birthrights" to be rulers of a country regardless of how much true power they actually have vs being a figurehead. How much tax dollars would UK residents save if they got rid of the Monarchy? Heck, the royal family accumulated their wealth through the backs of commoners to begin with, when you go back far enough. I suppose even our elected officials make personal gains off of our backs as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I never thought of this before, but yes I agree. A self implosion from within the UK may be the best scenario. In 2022, I can't even wrap my head around something as archaic as "birthrights" to be rulers of a country regardless of how much true power they actually have vs being a figurehead. How much tax dollars would UK residents save if they got rid of the Monarchy? Heck, the royal family accumulated their wealth through the backs of commoners to begin with, when you go back far enough.
In the UK it's argued that in the present day the monarchy easily pays for itself through economic spinoffs like tourism and other ways that people spend money on to take in the pageantry.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
William and Kate are so bland there is no attachment to them like the support the queen has. And Charles well we all know the answer to that. I think yes when the queen dies there will be interest for a few months but I don't think it will last and I also foresee an even stronger push to get rid of colonialism once she does pass.
Colonialism is not dead, its just morphed into another system (China's Belt and Road initiative, Russia's invasion of Ukraine)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another thing to consider in the Canadian context is that many Indigenous groups have treaties with the "Crown" and may have something to say if people started to tamper with that.

While they may all not exactly be enthusiastic monarchists, they'll likely have a devil-they-know view of this.

Not sure at all what their trust level would be vis-à-vis a successor Canadian-government-with-no-Crown.

In addition to the constitutional padlock we have, ironically this is another thing the UK wouldn't have to deal with if they wanted to ditch the Windsors.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
In the UK it's argued that in the present day the monarchy easily pays for itself through economic spinoffs like tourism and other ways that people spend money on to take in the pageantry.
That's fine for them. The colonies don't get the same economic spinoff.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That's fine for them. The colonies don't get the same economic spinoff.
I agree with you, but some people make the dubious argument that we do get some spinoff from people who come to Canada from New York state or North Dakota when there are royal visits here.

A somewhat more credible argument is that we'd have to spend something on a non-royal head of state anyway if we didn't have a GG.

And finally, many would argue quite strongly that we aren't a colony at all, and that the choice to have "the Crown" (which is the Canadian Crown, not the British; and that the Queen is Canadian) is made of our own free will.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:37 PM

Queen in poor health Prince Charles is at her bedside and she is under medical surveillance at Balmoral as per radio canada this morning.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Best wishes for Her Majesty, but, at age 96, it is obvious the end is rapidly approaching (if not now, within a few years).

I am 65 years old, and she had already been Queen for five years when I was born. It will be hard to imagine her not being on the throne.

Her funeral will be quite a spectacle. I remember Winston Churchill's funeral in 1965. I imagine hers will be even larger. Almost every world leader will be there.

Except Putin of course.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Colonialism is not dead, its just morphed into another system (China's Belt and Road initiative, Russia's invasion of Ukraine)
This is something a lot of anti-colonialists conveniently ignore. All while bitching about a figurehead.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Queen in poor health Prince Charles is at her bedside and she is under medical surveillance at Balmoral as per radio canada this morning.
The family has all gathered at Balmoral and BBC has suspended regular programming, apparently. This looks like it could be the add.

Not tragic, but very sad.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Best wishes for Her Majesty, but, at age 96, it is obvious the end is rapidly approaching (if not now, within a few years).

I am 65 years old, and she had already been Queen for five years when I was born. It will be hard to imagine her not being on the throne.

Her funeral will be quite a spectacle. I remember Winston Churchill's funeral in 1965. I imagine hers will be even larger. Almost every world leader will be there.

Except Putin of course.
I'm older than you, but same thing - only Monarch for my whole life. Perhaps my earliest memory is being out on the street to watch the Queen pass by on one of her visits. I would have been four years old.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Except Putin of course.
It will be hard when she eventually passes. All things considered, she has been a superb queen. Charles will have enormous shoes to fill. Still, I think retaining the monarchy is a better bet than the awful spectre of revamping our constitution and becoming a republic. We are better off with 'the devil we know.'

It seems like Elizabeth has always been the Queen. This is probably true for 90% of her living 'subjects'.

She has had 170 Prime Ministers!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...f_Elizabeth_II

12 Canadian Prime Ministers
15 (!) UK Prime Ministers

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:29 PM

I hope people give Charles a chance people always poop on him sometimes for good reason but I think he should get a fair chance to prove himself.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I hope people give Charles a chance people always poop on him sometimes for good reason but I think he should get a fair chance to prove himself.
He has done a decent job as a quasi-regent for the last few years. He deserves his chance.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
He has done a decent job as a quasi-regent for the last few years. He deserves his chance.
I totally agree.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:37 PM

I suspect he won't try to stay until death. I would expect him to abdicate when George comes of age.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada