HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 8:09 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Wouldn't the challenge with this be to create something which is reflective of all indigenous customs, rather than just those found in a specific part of the country (such as the Iroquois)? There is significant difference between the customs of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis, let alone the different nations which comprise each of those groups.

Then again, creating a new form of governance based on white people's interpretation of indigenous culture would be fitting for this country.
It seems like an honorable idea to represent the country, but mostly we are not indigenous, even the descendants of the original indigenous aren't really that anymore; it's only a pastiche of what it was. The world has changed, and the symbolism would seem contrived, without tradition. Would it make sense to replace a historical monarchy with a fictitious one which never existed, and would seem more like a Hollywood creation?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 9:26 PM

Keep the monarchy

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 9:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It seems like an honorable idea to represent the country, but mostly we are not indigenous, even the descendants of the original indigenous aren't really that anymore; it's only a pastiche of what it was. The world has changed, and the symbolism would seem contrived, without tradition. Would it make sense to replace a historical monarchy with a fictitious one which never existed, and would seem more like a Hollywood creation?
I am moving more and more in the direction of this honest but brutal take, but it's extremely controversial to voice this in IRL Canada these days.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Interesting... Here in France, they realized that a lot of peoples in the world needed somebody concrete made up of flesh to embody their nations.
We think that's a reason why a bunch of countries in Europe, like those of Scandinavia are still constitutional monarchies. They need a royal family to identify themselves to, as if it was a role model.

It means nothing to me because I'm a Republican. I just was raised and educated in the French Republic.

Republicanism may sometimes feel much more complex because it's kind of abstract. It's like a project forever under construction, so to speak.
The French themselves needed some personification to embody it. The woman they call Marianne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne

Of course, this creature never existed or lived in the world. She's just an allegory of our Republic, that citizens may recognize in themselves.
But it remains an abstract concept, unlike monarchy of which hypocritical despots are real, made of flesh indeed.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 12:32 AM

We might as well ditch the monarchy as soon as Liz croaks. What are we going to do? Change all our Money and references to Her Majesty and then have to change it again in 10 years when Charles croaks?

Just rip off the bandaid now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
We might as well ditch the monarchy as soon as Liz croaks. What are we going to do? Change all our Money and references to Her Majesty and then have to change it again in 10 years when Charles croaks?
The European Union managed to change the whole currency (not just freaking faces on bank notes) of some 20+ countries in a matter of years, which is clearly a feat of economic engineering.
I think the process took something like 10 years in all, when it comes to the earliest EU members like say, the Netherlands, France or Germany.
So it's nothing much for you guys to do it.

I can remember, when I was a kid, we still had the French franc currency over here.
20 years later, we're so familiar with the euro that it would be a pain to go back to any franc.
Not to mention the loss of money to the French people on their savings. The French save a lot of money because they're always worried about tomorrow, which is some kind of well known issue here. They are not confident enough in future.
Anyway, the old franc would be worth nothing much compared to the euro, then people would lose all their savings.
It would be a total disaster to our country.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:25 PM
ハルウララ

Jamaica to remove ties to monarchy as soon as William and Kate leave, sources say

By Michelle Butterfield Global News
Posted March 22

A journalist is sounding the alarm that Queen Elizabeth could soon be removed as the head of state of Jamaica as local politicians plan to push ahead with turning the country into a republic by August.

Noel Phillips, Good Morning Britain‘s North American correspondent, says he’s heard rumblings that Jamaica will begin to remove their ties to the monarchy as soon as Prince William and Kate Middleton leave the island.

In a segment posted to Twitter, Phillips commented on the couple’s current Caribbean tour, saying, “the timing just doesn’t seem to be right. The people here in Jamaica, they don’t want William and Kate here.”

“They don’t have a problem with the Queen, they have a problem with the institution. They see the British monarchy as an institution that has long oppressed them and they want reparations, they also want an apology, and they feel they’ve been asking for these things for an awful long time and until now there’s been no acknowledgement of their suffering or pain.”

Phillips continued, adding that he expects to see a lot of people “taking to the streets” in protest of the visit before he drops a major bombshell: “A source within the Prime Minister’s government who has told me that as soon as they leave Jamaica will begin the process of removing the Queen as head of state.”

The Independent also reported it has talked to inside sources that confirm Phillips’ news.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8700947/r...een-elizabeth/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:53 PM

Good for Jamaica! Next up, the rest of the Caribbean and Papua New Guinea!! This should have been done decades ago as far as I'm concerned.

And the rest of the Commonwealth should switch over as well once Old Liz kicks the bucket.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:57 PM

is she ever going to die though? I feel sorry for her having to work into her 90s.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Dream on, guys!

A case could be made that the monarchy is on stronger constitutional and legal footing in Canada than it even is in the UK itself.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 9:25 PM

I'd be fine with getting rid of the monarchy here in Canada. Keep it in the UK as it has been proven to be a net economic benefit and it gives the tabloid readers something to read something other than vicars having it off with parishioners or the latest goings on of D Lister media no hopers..

I'm only really reminded of it on our currency and some documents that are in the name of HRH and at the post office where I make a point of buying only stamps without the Queen

I imagine that post Elizabeth, the hangers on/sycophants and general 'royal household' will be limited to Charles/Camilla and then William and Kate. Andrew is gone, Anne is over 70 and Edward is pretty low key. His wife seems to be a trooper.

The less said about Harry and his grifter wife the better.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 9:29 PM

Jamaica's a basketcase anyway. One small step up from Haiti. The Queen will probably be glad not to have to take any responsibility for it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Jamaica's a basketcase anyway. One small step up from Haiti. The Queen will probably be glad not to have to take any responsibility for it.
Actually, the ruin of Haiti would have mostly originated in the massive compensation that France required from them when they turned independent, which was very unfair given the fact that the French settlers had ruined their soil by intensive agriculture. They used to grow / harvest only a couple of types of crops over there, that causes soil impoverishment because of a lack of diverse flora. That is still an issue to the Haitians to date.
Not to mention the humiliations caused by slavery, that was harsh in the Caribbean.

Then, once they were independent, the US would have acted malicious to them cause they weren't really excited by the idea of a Black free Republic when the economy still partly relied on enslavement of the Blacks in their own country.

I can remember, I saw a documentary by a couple of American guys (including an Haitian American) about this. It was very informative.
Sure, there is much corruption in their country, too. That certainly doesn't help them.
Bur I doubt a lack of monarchy would have anything to do with their difficulties.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I think you mean the current British Royal Family is a basketcase and no country should have to take responsibility for it any longer.

Also, yikes to your statement that Jamaica is as bad as Haiti. I suppose they're all just a bunch of Darkies running around on an island (half of one for Haiti) to you, amirite?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:07 AM

Perhaps take another step away after Elizabeth finishes. Not a complete abolishment but start distancing ourselves. Maybe just a “special” relationship in symbolism only.

I think more Canadians will start to feel distanced once Elizabeth passes. More people have a connection and respect with her than the actual idea of monarchy per se.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Perhaps take another step away after Elizabeth finishes. Not a complete abolishment but start distancing ourselves. Maybe just a “special” relationship in symbolism only.

I think more Canadians will start to feel distanced once Elizabeth passes. More people have a connection and respect with her than the actual idea of monarchy per se.
When she goes it will be non stop tributes to the Queen on CNN, Newsworld, CBC for days. I wonder if Harry will find time in his busy life to go to the funeral. Megan probably won't bother.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:39 AM

Monarchy will likely crumble pretty quickly once the queen dies just due to how much colonialism is hated and out of touch now. Also the train wreck that is that family it will likely just become a uk only thing. Canada is incapable of becoming a republic though without constant constutional crises.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Monarchy will likely crumble pretty quickly once the queen dies just due to how much colonialism is hated and out of touch now. Also the train wreck that is that family it will likely just become a uk only thing. Canada is incapable of becoming a republic though without constant constutional crises.
It would only happen if it weren’t going to generate a constitutional crisis.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Good god get rid of it.

The very notion of hereditary rights in 2022 is simply disgusting.

I honestly don't know how anyone can defend that.

Not without performing mental gymnastics and hypocrisy at an Olympic level.

Apply that entitelment mentality in any other sphere of life and see how far you get.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It would only happen if it weren’t going to generate a constitutional crisis.
We created a constitution that has no effective means of ever moving beyond 1982.

Bravo, us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada