HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 2:31 AM
BANNED

I hope they build a 3000' building fronting Michigan Ave...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 8:45 AM
TL;DR

CHA has pledged to redevelop the Julia Lathrop Homes at Damen/Diversey to achieve LEED Gold or Platinum rating. CHA uses the word "revitalization" to refer to this redevelopment, so I'm not sure if this involves demolition or not. It would be difficult to achieve LEED certification after total demolition, I believe, so renovation of existing buildings would be a big part of the project.

Currently, CHA is seeking developers to submit master plans for Lathrop. The exact plan (which buildings will be renovated, torn down, replaced, etc) will be determined after CHA selects a developer.

I'm glad, at least, that a total demolition isn't in the cards, since CHA proposed just that in 2006.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 3:03 PM
Urbane observer

^I wondered about the coincidence, too, but East-West University claims not to even know who the owner of the YWCA property is.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Agreed. I can't imagine how in any scenario demolishing the structure would be the most cost effective—and cost effectiveness is what 99/100 steers any outcome when it comes to real estate.
Speaking of demolished, I don't know if it's been reported on here, but 830 S. Michigan, better known as the YWCA is currently being demolished.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:22 PM

I thought that the buildings fronting Grant Park were protected? Wasn't that building the oldest remaining building on Michigan Ave or something? Does the owner atleast plan on doing something with his property now, or is he just gonna let it sit there? I remember seeing a rendering a while back that included that building into a highrise condo building or something, but that's obviously not the case anymore.
Millwaukee | Madison | Deer Valley, Utah | Grand Rapids | Chicagoland: Roselle, St. Charles, Wheaton, Woodstock

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 6:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Not anymore. They deemed the building pretty much structurally unsafe, i.e. not worth the money to rebuild, so is has to be taken down. I really don't think this is a significant loss. I'm hoping for an assembly of parcels, including the Johnson publishing buildings (even though they reportedly have received renovations and the taller one is designed by an African-American architect), so a forthcoming development(s) can really transform that block.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jan 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 6:57 PM
Urbane observer

The YWCA building was a protected Chicago Landmark, but Johnson Publishing had let it deteriorate for 25 years. Eventually it became structurally unsafe and Building Court ordered it demolished. Though the timing wasn't great for a cash outlay, I'm sure the current owner didn't mind.

Gazing deep into my crystal ball . . . with the highrise housing market moribund for the next decade, it wouldn't surprise me to see East-West University swap its position in the 1000 block for this property, then leverage some private South Asian capital to build a new complex that adjoins or even consumes its current buildings.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Speaking of demolished, I don't know if it's been reported on here, but 830 S. Michigan, better known as the YWCA is currently being demolished.
They are not saving any of it, like the front? What a shame. I hope this is not the future of historic preservation in Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Not trying to derail the thread but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Gazing deep into my crystal ball . . . with the highrise housing market moribund for the next decade...
A brazen gloomy outlook you have there. I hope you're wrong and gazing deep into my far superior high quality made in Germany crystal ball, I believe you are. My prediction, residential real estate development will ramp up in no sooner than three years, will return to full health in five and we'll see 2005-2006 levels of highrise residential starts by 2016-17. I'll bet a jar of nutella on it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 11:46 PM
Chicagotom SSC

830 South Michigan

This picture is about 2 years old - It's a shame that this couldn't have been saved.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 12:11 AM

^^^What are they putting in its place?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:08 AM
BANNED

^^^ An empty lot? Do you really think they have plans to build something given the economic climate right now?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:10 AM

Why not, were not a complete standstill. I still see minor projects starting all over the city, but I'll take that as a no as far as anything being built after demolition.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:12 AM
BANNED

^^^ I'll raise you a slab of bacon that we will see at least 20 highrise (12+floors) housing starts by Jan 10, 2013 in Chicago Proper.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Taken!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:29 AM
1st Ward

thats awful! very unfortunate hit for the historic michigan avenue streetwall. shame that the tower project didnt go through, it would've done wonders to expand the skyline southwards.

are there any plans to preserve the facade, or atleast save it so that it can be reconstructed, ala the McGraw Hill Building or the Farwell Building?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 2:11 AM
The City

..So I was in River North a few days ago and noticed a sign somewhere in the "Ontario entertainment district" general area, perhaps near Gino's East, for a retail development on an existing parking lot.

I forget the exact intersection, but looks like another parking lot could be biting the dust!

Does anybody know which development I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 3:01 AM

^ Maybe nw corner LaSalle and (I believe) Grand?

^^ There is nothing I would risk a nutella jar for.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I hope they build a 3000' building fronting Michigan Ave...
I just want to clarify that this is sarcasm, b/c the chance of someone thinking that is anything less than a heinous crime would be very unfortunate.

But, I would love to see a great set of streetwall scaled residential buildings, with high rises on the two wabash corners on the block behind, with university uses at their bases, where views are not marketable.

My personal hope, considering the current unfortunate state of this block.

but if it is typical development, I'll use this as an example to cite in why never to trust developers.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 6:12 AM
BANNED

^^^ Its mostly sacasm, but what would really be cool is if someone combined the lots and then created a very tall building (maybe 900' that had an atrium in line with the street wall that then sloped backwards towards Wabash and formed kinda a wedge or doorstop shape with the slope of the wedge twords the park. So that way the building would still have a Michigan Ave address, but the tower portion and driveways would be on Wabash.

I guess imagine if the front wall of the legacy gradually sloped outwards towards the park ending in an Atrium that fronted Michigan ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development