HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
7-20

A keeper

I really love the connection detail between the arches at the very bottom of the concrete structure. Mid-century buildings like these often present deceptively simple forms, making it easy to miss fine structural details like that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:27 PM
Come As You Are

I don't understand how people find this building nice and then say the Verizon Building is ugly...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I don't understand how people find this building nice and then say the Verizon Building is ugly...
the verison building isn't ugly, just dreadfully bland and boring

prentice, on the hand, isn't pretty or ugly, it's just magical.

cantilevered arches.

genius!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the verison building isn't ugly, just dreadfully bland and boring

prentice, on the hand, isn't pretty or ugly, it's just magical.

cantilevered arches.

genius!
Why not just continue the floors all the way down. Would it have made any difference?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Why not just continue the floors all the way down. Would it have made any difference?
no magic.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:10 PM

I would give all my money if every architect just submitted plans for the current building. The amusement of it would make it worth it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I really love the connection detail between the arches at the very bottom of the concrete structure. Mid-century buildings like these often present deceptively simple forms, making it easy to miss fine structural details like that.
The top floor of the podium was added later. Originally that overlap detail was much more visible.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:30 AM
Come As You Are

It looks like a Soviet nuclear bunker with a chemical weapons manufacturing facility on top.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:30 AM

I really don't like this building. If it were tore down and replaced with a glass box, I honestly would be more impressed.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:30 AM

It's a little worn out, but you have to see it in person. It can be cleaned up very easily. It's just so perfectly odd and of it's time and so much more interesting than all of the newer Northwestern buildings that surround it. It's designed by one of Chicago's most important architects ever and if this city doesn't preserve it, I will be incredibly pissed off. All the haters just don't get it. This is Bertrand Goldberg! This is Chicago! Can't believe there is even the slightest possibility that this would be torn down. Shouldn't even be up for debate.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:19 PM
Come As You Are

People don't hate this building because it's in 'Merica. If it were in China it would be hated.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:39 PM
them bones

^No. This is the equivalent of trying to tear down an old Oscar Niemeyer building in Sao Paulo or Kenzo Tange building in Tokyo because you don't like the shape.

It's part of the Chicago architectural vernacular. The fact that you and others don't happen to find it appealing (and can't see past that to at least appreciate what it contributes) doesn't change that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:41 PM

yea..no tear it down, waste of space

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 2:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's some radical thinking:

A Vision to Avoid Demolition for a ’70s Pioneer

CHICAGO — A familiar sort of preservation battle has been stewing for months here over the fate of the old Prentice Women’s Hospital, a concrete, cloverleaf structure from 1975 by Bertrand Goldberg, the Chicago architect. It’s a groundbreaking, wonderful oddball among the architectural monuments in this city. High-profile designers like Frank Gehry, Jeanne Gang, Tod Williams and Billie Tsien have signed petitions entreating Northwestern University, which owns the building, not to tear it down, arguing for landmark status and pleading for Mayor Rahm Emanuel to step in.

The architect Jeanne Gang's vision for a new research tower on top of the hospital. More Photos »
The university says it needs new biomedical research facilities and that Prentice is too small, old and quirky to feasibly retrofit. A new building, the university argues, would bring to the city millions of investment dollars, create jobs and save lives.

No surprise, Northwestern has been winning the debate. On Monday Brendan Reilly, an alderman representing the Chicago ward that includes Prentice, announced that he was leaning toward demolition. “I remain open to suggestions,” he added, according to The Chicago Tribune. “And believe me, if there’s a eureka moment, I’m all ears.”

So here is a suggestion: Build a research tower on top of Prentice.

full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/ar...wanted=1&_r=1&

images courtesy Studio/Gang, Jay Hoffman

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 2:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

another good article on prentice:

Prentice Hospital debate goes deeper than surface appearance

Bertrand Goldberg's design not loved by all, but it is important and should be saved
By Cheryl Kent, Special to the Tribune
1:09 p.m. CDT, August 24, 2012

Bertrand Goldberg did not believe in preservation. He said so. If he were still here we would be having a disagreement. Goldberg was, of course, the architect of the original Prentice Hospital as well as the much-loved Marina City; he died in 1997.

It's a surprise to few reading this: There is a fight over Prentice between its owner, Northwestern University, which wants to demolish the building, and the preservationists who want to protect it.

The building should be saved.

Prentice meets three — arguably four — of the city's seven criteria for landmark designation:

•It is a rare and innovative example of hospital design and of a thread of modernism characterized by expressive forms.

•It is the work of a well-known architect and engineer whose work is strongly identified with Chicago and who was influential internationally.

•It represents an architectural and social theme of humanism that was particular to its era.

•Its distinctive appearance is a neighborhood landmark in Streeterville.

full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,0,70032.story

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:02 PM

Why do institutions insist on very high 20 ft ceilings in office buildings today? 20ft ceilings don't make you more productive than 10 ft ceilings and I think it would cost much more to build a building with such high ceilings.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:20 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
Curmudgeon I may be, I will disagree here...
All history should be preserved even those you don't like. ESPECIALLY Those you do not like... I may "Dislike" a building, but once built it is built, it exists. Baring factors like deterioration, or design flaws it should be preserved. Because, as many others have said before, saying "Ew I don't like it, tear it down" is EXACTLY The type of thinking that led to the Singer Building, Penn Station and a host of other treasures being destroyed.

More to the point, Bertrand Goldberg is a rare bird. There are very few examples of his work left, and his work in Chicago is widely regarded as one of his best works. It very much should be protected just as much as the SInger builder should have been.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, that tower built on top would be totally kick ass, I love the design, hell it even compliments the old building.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
The empty two blocks across the street is the only "waste of space" in this equation. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 8:58 PM
dream fast

10-23

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture