HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
CATCH's highlighting of November airport stats seems kind of defeatist. If Hamilton does well and creates higher end R&D jobs, there will be an increased demand for passenger services. As has already been said, picking the 3 year period was obviously done to "catch" the effect of WestJet moving their Eastern hub. Is there a chart in the CATCH report? Not everything goes in a straight monotonic increase.

I am not sure I buy CATCH's views on what Peak Oil means for Hamilton, especially with regards to air travel. Peak Oil theory says there will be less and less oil every year after the peak when it occurs, not zero. Even with almost $100 a barrel oil, air travel is hardly cratering. In twenty years, people in Southern Ontario will still want to fly, even if the prices quadruple to allow displacement for other uses of liquid fuels for air travel. Is Hamilton supposed to get rid of its airport now because CATCH falls on the doomer side of the Peak Oil spectrum?
Agreed. Peak oil does not mean the end of air travel - it means the end of air travel as it now stands. We are already noticing the effect peak oil is having/will have on air travel. Airlines and air couriers are looking for planes that are more fuel efficient and/or carry larger loads so to minimize number of individual trips. Many passenger airlines scrambled for the new Boeing 787 aircraft because they are so much more fuel efficient. AS the pressure of peak oil continues, the R&D industry will kick into overdrive to develop better designs using lighter metals. Hamilton will directly benefit from this due to the relocation of the CanMet labs to Innovation Park.

Another peak oil reaction which coincidentally contributed to fewer air movements at Munro as mentioned in an earlier post (conveniently left unmentioned in the CATCH article), is the fact that the cargo carriers using the airport are now flying much bigger airplanes into the airport. Instead of two smaller craft, they are flying in one aircraft with a cargo capacity greater than the other two craft combined. This is a combined gain at the airport as traffic is easier to manipulate and the overal environmental impact on the surrounding lands improve. Oh yeah, and there is more money to be made when the big planes pay their landing fees. Profit at the airport doubled last fiscal year to over $1 mil, another fact that somehow failed to make it into the CATCH article.

The anti-aerotropolis folks are trying to brand Munro as another Mirabel. Good luck with that. Unlike Mirabel, both passenger and cargo loads are increasing at Munro, as is its profitability.

RTH, I'll take you up on your suggestion to contact CATCH. However, I do so with very low expectations. Ever since the defeat of favourite punching bag DiIanni last year, the group seems desperate to find a new enemy to fight, and it looks like they have settled on aerotropolis, most likely because this is seen as the only potential legacy for the former mayor, and they seem determined to scuttle any positive legacy being associated with his name (not counting the Red Hill Parkway of course.) Hey, I am no fan of DiIanni, but there is such a thing as taking a personal vendetta one step too far...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:16 PM

Here is a diagram of the terminal at Hamilton International in March 1982. You can see it is very small. The check in counter is 2 half counters and one full two sided counter for a total of 4 check-in places.

This building was use until early 1986 when the new building was opened. The city ran the airport until 1996 when they turned it over to Tradeport.

Interesting fact is that the airport only severed 16,000 people about 10 years ago and 22,500 in 1999. This year they should be doing between 700,000 to 750,000 passengers. The 1986 terminal was built to serve 450,000 passengers.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 7:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

haha it's so tiny, the custom storage has more room than the counter space, 80 m by 20 m. Some houses are bigger than that lol.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:41 PM

Airport Breaks Ground On Another Expansion

Airport Breaks Ground On Another Expansion
Jan, 15 2008 - 12:30 PM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The President and CEO of Tradeport insists that things are going well at Hamilton's airport.
Richard Koroscil has helped to break ground on a three million dollar expansion of the departure lounge. He stresses that the space is badly needed for the comfort of passengers, because of the growth of FlyGlobeSpan.

The expansion will double the size of the lounge, resulting in more space for duty free, food and beverage and other services.

Koroscil is also putting a positive spin on soaring world oil prices, saying they could actually benefit Hamilton's airport, which gives air carriers a low-cost alternative to flying out of Pearson.

He predicts that about 700 thousand passengers will fly out of Hamilton this year, up from 670 thousand.

- Ken Mann

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sweet!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:05 PM
Closed account

any renderings??

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
Closed account

spin, baby spin!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
any renderings??
I'm not very optimistic that the new building look good at all. I rode my bike thier during the summer and saw thier new arrivals area. I suspect it will look similar(cheap). I would love if they modernised it a bit so it could really compete with other airports and give people a better impression of our city.

I suppose it will look something like this

Currently looks something like this(not best shot, lots of objects)[photo courtesey dahammer at photobucket]

Could definetly use modernization to improve foreign passengers perceptions. the inside does not look that bad but still relatively cheap looking compared to most busy airports.

Last edited by chris k; Jan 16, 2008 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:18 AM
Closed account

pretty bad when one bus can block the entire terminal building...let's hope they keep up the modernization work.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Departure expansion takes off at airport

Steve Arnold
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 16, 2008)

Work has started on a $3-million expansion of the departure lounge at Hamilton airport.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and airport president Richard Koroscil broke ground on the project yesterday.

The work will double the size of the departure waiting area, expand the duty-free shop and convenience store and upgrade the children's play area.

Best of all, there will soon be a Tim Hortons kiosk available to passengers.

Koroscil said the expanded area is needed because passenger volume continues to grow -- hitting 670,000 in 2007 and forecast to reach 700,000 this year.

"In 2007 we actually had over 25 per cent growth rate which is very significant, it's probably one of the highest growth rates in the country and that's primarily as a result of our new services from flyglobespan," he said. "This growth is an indication of the positioning we've done in terms of Hamilton International being a low-cost alternative to Pearson."

Koroscil added the project -- expected to be finished in June -- will bring investment in John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport to about $140 million since its operation was turned over to TradePort in 1995.

While passenger volume at the airport has been growing since the arrival of Air Canada Jazz and U.K.-based flyglobespan, it is still about 30 per cent less than it was in 2003 before WestJet slashed 60 per cent of its service from Hamilton.

"We're delighted as a council and as a community that this airport continues to have sustainable growth, measured growth that provides a reasonable return for the operator and a great return for the municipality in terms of tax revenue, jobs and future capacity here at the airport," Eisenberger said.

After the ceremony, Koroscil said flyglobespan wants to add capacity to its Hamilton service this year.

"One of the things we've been careful not to do is overbuild infrastructure. We're not doing the things that the guys down the road have done at the big airport and get a big debtload which then translates into much higher fees," Koroscil said.

"Our objective is to stay very competitive to allow those carriers that want to come to the marketplace to experience those big cost savings and hopefully translate those cost savings into cost savings for the passenger."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:45 PM

From today's Spec:

Quote:

January 16, 2008
Steve Arnold
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 16, 2008)

Work has started on a $3-million expansion of the departure lounge at Hamilton airport.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and airport president Richard Koroscil broke ground on the project yesterday.

The work will double the size of the departure waiting area, expand the duty-free shop and convenience store and upgrade the children's play area.

Koroscil said the expanded area is needed because passenger volume continues to grow -- hitting 670,000 in 2007 and forecast to reach 700,000 this year.

"In 2007 we actually had over 25 per cent growth rate which is very significant, it's probably one of the highest growth rates in the country and that's primarily as a result of our new services from flyglobespan," he said. "This growth is an indication of the positioning we've done in terms of Hamilton International being a low-cost alternative to Pearson."

Koroscil added the project -- expected to be finished in June -- will bring investment in John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport to about $140 million since its operation was turned over to TradePort in 1995.

While passenger volume at the airport has been growing since the arrival of Air Canada Jazz and U.K.-based flyglobespan, it is still about 30 per cent less than it was in 2003 before WestJet slashed 60 per cent of its service from Hamilton.

"We're delighted as a council and as a community that this airport continues to have sustainable growth, measured growth that provides a reasonable return for the operator and a great return for the municipality in terms of tax revenue, jobs and future capacity here at the airport," Eisenberger said.

After the ceremony, Koroscil said flyglobespan wants to add capacity to its Hamilton service this year.

"One of the things we've been careful not to do is overbuild infrastructure. We're not doing the things that the guys down the road have done at the big airport and get a big debtload which then translates into much higher fees," Koroscil said.

"Our objective is to stay very competitive to allow those carriers that want to come to the marketplace to experience those big cost savings and hopefully translate those cost savings into cost savings for the passenger."
A couple of comments to make based on this article and a few preceding comments:

1. The growth in passenger traffic cited in the article is a concrete example of how decreased air movements cannot be used to accurately measure airport use, as CATCH tried in their less-than-objective December article on the airport. Contrary to the perception engineered by that article, we now have concrete proof that the airport is both profitable and growing rapidly - 25% passenger growth in one year is huge for any airport.

2. The development that is happening is a quick-fix expansion to the temporary departures area, and is a precursor to a more significant expansion timed to happen in 2010. Since it is a temporary building addition, do not expect anything attractive externally. I doubt external architectual improvements would be considered prior to the work planned for 2010.

3. While the phased expansion of the airport may not have much 'wow' factor, it is this approach that keeps YHM successful. Expansion of faciliies is timed to match expansion in use, and is much more cost effective. Building a brand new, huge empty terminal all at once introduces huge debt loads and would require less competitive (i.e. more expensive) landing fees. Tradeport is cleverly avoiding that pitfall here, and therefore avoiding the risk of YHM becoming a white elephant. Besides, the most important thing to travellers and transporters is that the facility works well - my flight choices certainly aren't based on which airport looks the nicest, it's based on cost and convenience.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:48 PM
Closed account

^^ great point, Mark. I never really looked at it that way but it makes perfect sense. Who knows what air travel numbers will be like in 2010 even, especially w/ the increasing price of oil.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:59 PM

From today’s Spec article

Quote:
It is obvious that the Spec never attended the ground breaking and only used the official news release for this story. There are 2 Tim’s in the terminal and a 3rd on the property.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 7:56 PM
Closed account

this is the Hammer...they won't be happy until there's 17 of them.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 8:08 PM
Closed account

hahaha at least the Spec reported it. I'd be surprised to hear anything about this on CHCH Action News... unless Britney Spears was there or something.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post

3. While the phased expansion of the airport may not have much 'wow' factor, it is this approach that keeps YHM successful. Expansion of faciliies is timed to match expansion in use, and is much more cost effective. Building a brand new, huge empty terminal all at once introduces huge debt loads and would require less competitive (i.e. more expensive) landing fees. Tradeport is cleverly avoiding that pitfall here, and therefore avoiding the risk of YHM becoming a white elephant. Besides, the most important thing to travellers and transporters is that the facility works well - my flight choices certainly aren't based on which airport looks the nicest, it's based on cost and convenience.
I understand the issue about buidling a big terminal at once but i would like if they didnt only go for the cheapest possible route and put come detail or nice architecture in it(modernization) I understand from the average vaction flyer(such as myself) that cost beats all in air (taxi) choice but I beleive that a business man would not get the best first impression of our city from flying through that terminal especially coming from a modern Heathrow or when modern Pearson is so close by.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
I understand the issue about buidling a big terminal at once but i would like if they didnt only go for the cheapest possible route and put come detail or nice architecture in it(modernization) I understand from the average vaction flyer(such as myself) that cost beats all in air (taxi) choice but I beleive that a business man would not get the best first impression of our city from flying through that terminal especially coming from a modern Heathrow or when modern Pearson is so close by.

that's a good point Chris.
I think we can still keep our costs down, but improve things so we don't have the Walmart of airports. I recall my uncle flying back for a visit from Alberta and we stepped out of the airport facing the parking lot and big field across the road and he jokingly said "welcome to Hamilton!" with his arms spread wide.
pretty funny, but also a good point.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:38 PM

Guys, you are missing my point. Both the new arrivals and departures areas are temporary structures put in place to accomodate future expansion construction, slated to start in 2010. They are temporary, and will be gone in a couple of years once future phases of the expansion plan kick in. It is the permanent structures where architectual esthetics should be applied, not temporary ones. Besdies, it is only the external elements of the additions that are plain. The interior of the airport is quite nice for an airport of that size.

The 'real' permanent construction is slated to start in 2010. Once the phases of that expansion is completed, we will have a a two-level airport, with departures upstairs and arrivals on the lower level. This is the architecture that actually counts, not a temporary building.

As far as the impression left when you leave the airport and stare across at an empty field, I guess that impression won't be corrected until aertropolis is approved

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:43 PM

sorry i didnt realize those were only temporary. I remember reading about the two floors in the plan but i guessed they would just add a floor matching the same styles. It makes a lot of sense now that they are temporary buildings. Hope they can do something great with the permanant one.

yeah thats the only reason i support aerotropolis. It makes it look like theres something around our airport and i don't think the businesses locating in the aerotropolis would force the airport to have time restrictions as pearson does. I would take aerotroplis over suburbia there anyday

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:11 PM

To help understand this project, I am re-posting what I wrote on November 1. I had talked to Richard Koroscil to get this info so it is fairly accurate. But things do change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton
Hamilton International Airport Update
Plans are being drawn up for the expansion on the departure area. It will be expanded out to the north of the terminal. The addition will hold over 800 passengers at one time. The present area now holds approximately 300 passengers. Space will be provided for more concession and food stands. There will be a larger duty free shop in the departure area.

The apron will also be expanded. The area to the east of departure area and up in behind the international arrivals area will be expanded. The aircraft will then park on three sides of the terminal with the international flights on the eastside in behind and closer to the international arrivals area.

The departure area expansion and apron expansion should be completed by the end on April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
The tender has closed for the departure area expansion. They are awarding the contract as quick as possible. They want the footings in before it is too cold to do so they can start to close it in. They will be doing a press release when it is awarded. Besides the building and apron area, a small temporary module trailer buildings will be placed next to the terminal to take the overflow of people. I suspect it will be used by Air Canada as they have the smallest aircraft using Hamilton.

I have seen the plans and have talked to the person in charge of the project. The reason there are no renderings and that the buildings are covered in aluminium siding is that it is all temporary.

The interior of the building will be plainly finished and may appear unfinished. This is because thy are only going to us it for one to two years as a departure area. By the time the entire project is done inside and out it will be June 2008. Around that time they plan to have plans finalized for the next phase and off to the board in Vancouver (the owners of the airport) for approval.

They are going to build a second floor on the building (size unknown to me) that will be the new departure area. This will be very large with air bridges to they aircraft. Almost all of the present and future concession areas will be moved up there. The new entrance to that area will be stairs where the present security area and Tim Hortons are located. At that time the first floor departure area and arrivals area will be joined together to make a large arrivals area. This project should be completed by late 2009 or early 2010. This will depend on how fast Vancouver allows it to start.

There is still more to come. This sounds like the original plans. If so, than you will see an addition to the west end of the building where customs and international arrivals will be located. Once this is done, they can move to airline ticket counters and check in to the east end of the building where customs is now located. The aluminium siding can then be removed and an all glass front can go in with some nice brick and stone. This will basically be flipping the building.

When Transport Canada built the building in the early 80’s, they built it backwards and airport management has always wanted to change this. This will correct it and you will come up first to the departure area and then to the arrivals area.

Once the present airline counters and departing baggage area are removed they can use this area to set up a US Customs area and a secure departure waiting area. This will allow more fights to the US, as most US airport do not have customs areas.

This was the set up in the original plans.
Quote:
Value of the phase 1 terminal work is $3.5 million. Value of the apron expansion and new ramp lighting $3 million. Total $6.5 million.

International expansion should be finished December 12th.

2nd floor expansion (Phase 2) will cover most of the 1st floor part except part of the front that was not designed for a second level. There will be 7 air bridges to aircraft with boarding areas expanded to the east. Phase 3 will be built to the west and will have 8 air bridges for a total of 15.

Phase 2 is expected to be finished by early 2010. Total value of phase 2 will be between $30 and $35 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure