HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I mentionned this before, but the NCC has had so much vision since Kristmanson came in. Before, it was all junk on Confederation Boulevard, programming and pie in the sky ideas that were never actually going to be explored further. Now we have LeBreton Flats, new monuments, Nepean Point, the SJAM linear park, more co-operation between the NCC, Ottawa and Gatineau...
SJAM "Linear Park" is classic old NCC thinking.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I'm not sure which proposal this is part of, but it's a pretty nice one. Good luck with relocating the museum's loading docks though. There's really no other place to put those.
Doesn't the Mint have their loading docks at the front? I've been caught in traffic a few times on Sussex because of trucks going in and out of front gate of the Mint.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure which proposal this is part of, but it's a pretty nice one. Good luck with relocating the museum's loading docks though. There's really no other place to put those.

It is actually from the Global Centre for Pluralism documents (so not part of the Nepean Point redevelopment, but the two pieces depend on each other).

How they deal with the docks and the parking for both both the Pluralism building and the Art Gallery is by pushing them below grade. The Pluralism building already has drawings to do that, but as I mentioned before, it is about 1.) making sure these other projects relating to the river front are aligned to this strategy, and 2.) finding funds to do this, because it would be expensive!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 9:18 PM
Busy Beaver

Looks like a concept to roof over the National Gallery's loading area. It would make sense to build a ramp off of Bruyere instead of Lady Grey Drive, too. I'm sure a covered area making the loading and unloading of precious art more secure and protected from the element would be really appealing to them.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC to unveil four plans for redesigned Nepean Point

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 2, 2017 | Last Updated: October 2, 2017 9:33 PM EDT

The National Capital Commission will unveil four designs for a redeveloped Nepean Point at an open house Thursday afternoon.

The four proposals are:

Nogoshkodadwin Park by Team Asselin (WAA Montreal, Tectoo Architects, Milan Ingegneria)

Bluff Point by Team Geuze (West 8, Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. Architects, Fotenn)

Big River Landscape by Team Rosenberg (Janet Rosenberg & Studio Inc., Patkau Architects, Blackwell Structural Engineers, ERA Architects Inc.), and

Nepean Point — A Park for Our Nation in Progress
by Team Ryan (PUBLIC WORK, KPMB Architects, Blackwell Structural Engineers, John Beaucage)

The four finalist in the $6.7-million project were chosen by jury earlier this year from 26 submissions.

The first phase of the redevelopment will be to replace the Astrolabe theatre and improve the setting of the iconic Samuel de Champlain statue that overlooks the Ottawa River from behind the National Gallery of Canada. Later phases include linking Nepean Point and Major Hill’s Park with a pedestrian bridge.

After receiving public input, the NCC board of directors will choose the winning proposal in 2018. Construction is planned for 2019-20.

The public will get their first glimpse of the four designs at the open house, Thursday, Oct. 5 from 4:30 p.m to 8 p.m. at the NCC’s second-floor Urbanism Lab at 40 Elgin St. The proposals can also be viewed beginning at the same time on the NCC’s website, ncc-ccn.gc.ca

bcrawford@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...d-nepean-point

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:53 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
It is actually from the Global Centre for Pluralism documents (so not part of the Nepean Point redevelopment, but the two pieces depend on each other).

How they deal with the docks and the parking for both both the Pluralism building and the Art Gallery is by pushing them below grade. The Pluralism building already has drawings to do that, but as I mentioned before, it is about 1.) making sure these other projects relating to the river front are aligned to this strategy, and 2.) finding funds to do this, because it would be expensive!
Sounds intriguing. Do you have a link to those?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sounds intriguing. Do you have a link to those?
Unfortunately, not any more. It was part of this document on the NCC web-site, but it no longer is there:
http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/default/f...-pluralism.pdf

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:44 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:50 PM

Link to detailed proposals and presentations: http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/our-projects/ne...-redevelopment

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:56 PM

The "Bluff Point" proposal really stands out for me, particularly the all-seasons arcade circling the bluff. The "Nepean Point — A Park for Our Nation in Progress" is my least favourite....let's scorch the earth and remove all vegetation and turn it into a barren rock.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Link to detailed proposals and presentations: http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/our-projects/ne...-redevelopment
So much pretension.

Such bad presentation of graphics.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:19 PM
Busy Beaver

I like the "Big River Landscape", the footbridge and other structures aren't as heavy and dominant

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
The "Bluff Point" proposal really stands out for me, particularly the all-seasons arcade circling the bluff. The "Nepean Point — A Park for Our Nation in Progress" is my least favourite....let's scorch the earth and remove all vegetation and turn it into a barren rock.
I agree... I thought they were all going to be pretty similar until "A Park for Our Nation in Progress", yuck... so bad. It doesn't even include a bridge, just a goat-path underneath the Alexandria Bridge.

Bluff Point stood out to me. It seems like they understood the flow of the area and actually put a lot of effort in to knitting Major Hills Park and Nepean Point together. I think Big River Landscape would be my 2nd favorite.

Interesting how they all re-arranged the St. Patrick St. to Alexandria Bridge connection. I never thought of just removing that link, but it sort of makes sense to get more usable space.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:21 PM

Option 5: Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I like the "Big River Landscape", the footbridge and other structures aren't as heavy and dominant
I like Bluff Point uses such a big land bridge. It kind of restores the older landscape and removes the "cut". Here is their reasoning:

Quote:
A land bridge connects Major’s Hill Park across Confederation Boulevard with Nepean Point. The form plays with the transformation of both the embankment and the adjacent limestone cliffs. Recalling the impact of post-colonial developments, the land bridge restores, in a contemporary way the Ottawa Valley, and wraps the escarpment into the center of the city. With its two cathedral inspired arches that span the Confederation Boulevard, the land bridge allows traffic to seamlessly pass through the site; one arch for cars and one for pedestrians and cyclists. The ceiling of the tunnel is cladded a mosaic that alludes to the historical and cultural context of the site. Pedestrian and cyclists traveling along Confederation Boulevard can access Nepean Point and Major’s Hill Park via the land bridge and may also connect to the Rideau Canal and locks via the Trans-Canada trail. Built from limestone and soil, and planted with trees and shrubs the land bridge creates a new habitat for fauna and flora and thus removes the ecological barrier currently created by St. Patrick Street.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:41 PM
Busy Beaver

I just find the Bluff Point structures too dominant and not well integrated with the landscape. The round arches look dated and remind me of retro 1960s, something you'd find in Brasilia.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:11 PM

Bluff Point is my least favourite out of all of them. I like how wide the bridge between Majors Hill Park and Nepean Point is but I don't like the Alcove, pavillion and the arches under the bridge. The way they're designed those three features will get dated quick.

At first I liked Big River Landscape. It's pretty simple but almost to a fault. It seems very safe, very "Ottawa" and something the NCC would go for (I think the NCC will choose this one).

Nogoshkodadwin Park is my favouriate option. Seems like the most complete plan. The pedestrian bridge is well designed, they included a cafe so you can actually get something to eat/drink, and they're thinking about programming the park with the children's and workshop area. And they still have a stage. Most of all, I love the big staircase leading up to the statue of Samuel de Champlain. It looks elegant and seems like the kind of place people would want to go to hangout, maybe after picking up something at the cafe. And combining angular design and more curvy design to represent two cultures is well thought out. I love it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:31 PM

Bluff Point is the worst. Not a fan of those Alcove caves at all. It could look good from the distance at night but what's the point of it? People will walk up to the cliff and instead of enjoying the view they will go into shelter?
Besides it will require maintenance and regular cleaning or it will turn into public urinal quick.
The bridge is too heavy, the stage is ugly and I'm sure I've seen it somewhere else.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Nepean Point: Four design finalists revealed

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 5, 2017 | Last Updated: October 5, 2017 6:06 PM EDT

The National Capital Commission unveiled four designs for a redeveloped Nepean Point at an open house Thursday afternoon.

The four proposals are:

Nogoshkodadwin Park by Team Asselin (WAA Montreal, Tectoo Architects, Milan Ingegneria):

Bluff Point by Team Geuze (West 8, Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. Architects, Fotenn):

Big River Landscape by Team Rosenberg (Janet Rosenberg & Studio Inc., Patkau Architects, Blackwell Structural Engineers, ERA Architects Inc.):

Nepean Point — A Park for Our Nation in Progress by Team Ryan (PUBLIC WORK, KPMB Architects, Blackwell Structural Engineers, John Beaucage):

The four finalists in the $6.7-million project were chosen by jury earlier this year from 26 submissions.

The first phase of the redevelopment will be to replace the Astrolabe theatre and improve the setting of the iconic Samuel de Champlain statue that overlooks the Ottawa River from behind the National Gallery of Canada. Later phases include linking Nepean Point and Major’s Hill Park with a pedestrian bridge.

After receiving public input, the NCC board of directors will choose the winning proposal in 2018. Construction is planned for 2019-20.

The public got its first glimpse of the four designs at the open house on Thursday from 4:30 p.m to 8 p.m. at the NCC’s second-floor Urbanism Lab at 40 Elgin St. The proposals can also be viewed on the NCC’s website, ncc-ccn.gc.ca.

More to come.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...lists-revealed

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Nepean Point Redevelopment Online Survey

The survey will be available from October 5, 2017 to October 18, 2017.

https://www.questionpro.com/a/TakeSu...nguageSelected

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa