HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 10:45 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I wish they could’ve gave the new design a worthwhile crown. The stack of blocks design is alright, but too bland. The city has waited more than 20 years for the Lower Manhattan skyline to at least be filled up with two grand towers dominating again from the WTC. We got one that did the job well, we need another groundbreaking design that serves as the finishing touch.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Had Foster’s original design been built, I absolutely guarantee that people would have complained when they saw the final product.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 1:21 AM

I absolutely guarantee that people will complain no matter what gets built.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 3:45 AM
BANNED

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...-gary-barnett/

Silverstein Selling Final Part of Disney Campus for Roughly $930M: Sources

Last edited by JMKeynes; Feb 24, 2022 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:46 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
I don't trust any rendering that throws that much greenery onto a tower. There's no way that those very top floors would have green roofs, and I'd be surprised if the developer ever actually plants gardens as lush as the ones they propose.

Architects love to plaster plants onto buildings in an effort to make them appear eco-conscious, and I find it disingenuous at best.
Agreed. I really like this proposal from some angles, but I worry that it's relying too much on the green outcroppings to make it sexy. Without them it's a bit bland for my tastes, especially when viewed from the Memorial.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 9:09 PM

Alright...someone tech savvy make a diagram of 2022 WTC 2 in the New York City diagrams! It would be great to see.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittywhompus View Post
Alright...someone tech savvy make a diagram of 2022 WTC 2 in the New York City diagrams! It would be great to see.
What kind of diagram?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 9:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Getting closer to no more availability at the WTC. Need a big lease to get tower 2 built, another home for companies to fill up…

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...ort-authority/

Software Company, Investment Firm and Ad Platform Take 73K SF at 1 WTC

BY CELIA YOUNG
FEBRUARY 25, 2022

Quote:
Business software firm Templafy, investment management company Jordan Park and advertising platform LiveIntent snagged a total of 72,896 square feet at The Durst Organization and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s 1 World Trade Center, Commercial Observer has learned.

The deals bring the building, which faced an uncertain future after major tenant Condé Nast put much of its offices on the sublease market in 2021, to 92 percent leased. The building’s two landlords resolved a rent dispute with the publishing giant last year, after it paid $2.4 million in rent it previously withheld.
Quote:
“Leasing activity at 1 WTC soared towards the close of 2021 and that momentum has carried over to 2022,” said Jonathan Durst, president of The Durst Organization. “We are thrilled to welcome new tenants to 1 World Trade Center, and to New York City, and celebrate the success of existing tenants through renewals, expansions and relocations within the property.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 9:33 PM
BANNED

I hope that it’s built on spec. A Persian Gulf fund could easily finance it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 7:12 PM
BANNED

I look forward to seeing 2 WTC fills this void.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 5:45 AM

A not so flattering article about the current 2022 design of 2 WTC, translated from Spanish to English with the web translation tool on ipvoid.com:

original

translated

Quote:
New York launches a new twin tower at the World Trade Center
The first images that have been known about the famous tower do not show too drastic changes.

Inaki Garcia
Barcelona. Saturday, February 26, 2022. 12:00
Reading time: 1 minute

Any news that has to do with, or at least reminds us of, the World Trade Center will remind us of the event of the Twin Towers. Now, it seems that the 2 World Trade Center has been created , but it will be totally inconsequential.

New York, and its most qualified architects have planned to execute a new building. The expectations about the project are more due to competition with Asian constructions than to a memory of the past.

A not very changeable design
Although Larry Silverstein, promoter of the 2 World Trade Center, assures that it will be the "healthiest and most sustainable building on the planet", the first images that have been known about the famous tower do not present too drastic changes with respect to the architecture of the buildings. shot down in the terrorist attack.

The building will be 411 meters high , it will also have some intermediate gardens that divide the blocks into vertical sections. In addition, each of the sections will be divided with metal fins that protrude from the surface that goes vertically.

For those who have not been very satisfied with the design, Silverstein's marketing manager assures that the published renders are "premature".

A project that exists since 2006
The design of this tower has existed since 2006, the person in charge of redesigning the tower was the architect Norman Foster -owner of the design now-, but his "style" sat very badly on the main investors: a generic 79-story skyscraper with shape of a 45 degree inclined diamond.

That is why neither Wes Corpo nor Fox decided not to support the process. This is where the Danish Bjarke Ingels comes in and his signing BIG , who also failed to meet expectations. The design plans have fallen back on who started it all in 2006. Will there be changes?

New York seems to have been left behind
As the images show, Foster's new building is not something you fall in love with firsthand. It seems that the architecture of one of the "lighthouse" cities is in a rut. Today, to enjoy great buildings we must look at Shanghai, Singapore or even Dubai.
Also on a related note to the progress on the overall WTC site, the east plaza in front of 1 WTC is finally open and there are pictures to prove it.

Image credit to bpc on New York Yimby Forums

The east entrance to 1 WTC was said by a manager of 1 WTC in 2018 to eventually become the main entrance:
https://www.businessinsider.com/insi...ain-entrance-7

From the texture of the leaves and color of the fall foliage in the pictures on New York Yimby of the trees on the east plaza in the summer and fall of 2021, the trees are probably honey locust trees, the same type planted in Liberty Park:
http://tribecatrib.com/content/tree-...s-liberty-park

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Feb 27, 2022 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 3:42 PM
Frequent Lurker

"For those who have not been very satisfied with the design, Silverstein's marketing manager assures that the published renders are "premature"."

Well that's interesting. I'm curious how different the next set of renders will be. I can't imagine it will be drastically different.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
"For those who have not been very satisfied with the design, Silverstein's marketing manager assures that the published renders are "premature"."

Well that's interesting. I'm curious how different the next set of renders will be. I can't imagine it will be drastically different.
I'm guessing that they need a tenant to finalize the design and proceed. The downtown market appears too weak to build on spec. I would not be surprised if they eliminate some of the setbacks.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post

That’s basically the design. I think that they’re annoyed that Yimby stole their thunder by revealing the design prior to their grand unveiling.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Mar 1, 2022 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 1:28 PM

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:59 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I much prefer the Foster design for the unique shape on the skyline and the symbolism behind the design, but the newer design is still very nice. I like it better than the BIG design that felt unbalanced.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:46 PM
Walk taker

I wonder what the general population of the city will think if Foster's design doesn't get built.

I've already seen the building printed onto pizza boxes and tourist magnets. People treat this tower as though it were already part of the skyline.

I'm personally tired of flat roofs, and I'm even more tired of slapping trees onto buildings as if they're serious aspects of their design. I don't understand the need to trot out a new, inferior design every few years when a popular one already exists.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the general population of the city will think if Foster's design doesn't get built.

I've already seen the building printed onto pizza boxes and tourist magnets. People treat this tower as though it were already part of the skyline.

I'm personally tired of flat roofs, and I'm even more tired of slapping trees onto buildings as if they're serious aspects of their design. I don't understand the need to trot out a new, inferior design every few years when a popular one already exists.
You're seeing different designs because it's a business that relies on tenants. Architects (Foster) work for a Developer (Silverstein) who relies on tenants to fill in the space. Ultimately, if your company is going to take up space in a new building, shouldn't your company be calling the shots of what they want in their space?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 9:09 PM

Quote:

1) You thinking something is an inferior design is a subjective opinion. Not a fact. Don't get the 2 mixed up.
2) The design changes because architecture companies aren't charities, they're businesses and they sell a product. The product is the design; therefore, the developer gets to choose what gets bought. And what the developer chooses to buy depends on what they see is wanted in the current office market.
Right now, (Very large) businesses absolutely need 3 things. 1) Great Transit connections. 2) Lots of amenity space. 3) The building needs to be modern, very modern. No big business wants to sit in a box from the 70s when they could easily get a place in Hudson Yards, Midtown, or even another city that is far more modern and appealing to them.

Now why this specific design changed? Who knows. Could be the original had problems we didn't see from the outside. Maybe the developer just wanted a shakeup. Could be anything.

Obviously that's a generalization (and doesn't apply to smaller businesses, but then smaller ones aren't the ones anchoring these huge buildings) but that's what I've picked up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 10:49 PM

I like the shape and massing... could look pretty cool on the skyline.

And as always, it needs to be said, trees will not survive at the heights shown in the renderings. Lose the silly, tacked-on greenery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction