HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:10 AM
TL;DR

SRO units @ Mark Twain Hotel:

bye, Felicia

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:04 AM

918 W Montrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
I have been a World Gym member for years - its in that building (909 W. Montrose), so I know the area.

Speaking of that area, the old Dearborn Wholesale Grocery at 918 W. Montrose closed about a year ago and Ross Clothing was going to build a store in that space - they have their sign on the building.

According to City website, they applied for a permit in October, and are still waiting for "CIVIL/STORMWATER" and "FINAL DATA REVIEW". It seems its taking an unusually long time for this permit.

Wonder if they didn't make their payoff yet

Does anyone have a scoop about the project?

This project is moving at a snails pace, though 2 weeks ago they received three more permits, just those 2 remaining. I have heard the the brunch restaurant Yolk may be interested in the space too. That would be great for the neighborhood.

http://www.midamericagrp.com/propert...ontrose-avenue

New tenant buildout at 4442 N Broadway(In the Target development), thinks it's the space next to Subway....not sure who the tenant is.

SELF-CERT: FIRST-TIME INTERIOR BUILD-OUT OF 1ST FLOOR MERCANTILE UNIT TO INCLUDE NEW PARTITIONS, PLUMBING, MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL AS PER PLANS. NO CHANGE TO EXISTING "F" - MERCANTILE OCCUPANCY.
4442 N. Broadway Issued March 2, 2016

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 1:13 PM

I'm curious to see as to whats the next office tower to break ground with River Point and 150 N Riverside almost topped out. CNA is breaking ground, but I would expect with so many relocations and with no new office towers in the past half decade and several office to hotel/residential conversions that another tower should be on its way this year. The only ones that have been more active will be 130 franklin, 590 w madison, wolf point. That said, if McD does move downtown (1000-2000), that would be another 300,000+ block that they would need, there only 3 blocks in the CBD that have that much space per colliers which should push for more office construction.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
I'm curious to see as to whats the next office tower to break ground with River Point and 150 N Riverside almost topped out. CNA is breaking ground, but I would expect with so many relocations and with no new office towers in the past half decade and several office to hotel/residential conversions that another tower should be on its way this year. The only ones that have been more active will be 130 franklin, 590 w madison, wolf point. That said, if McD does move downtown (1000-2000), that would be another 300,000+ block that they would need, there only 3 blocks in the CBD that have that much space per colliers which should push for more office construction.
No one builds class A office space without first landing actual tenants. Unlike residential, no one builds an office tower on spec based on market conditions and general "feeling." Just look at 590 W Madison.

Also keep in mind that a number of tenants moving to 150 N. Riverside, 151 N. Franklin, and River Point are leaving other office buildings in the CBD and will create more vacant supply when they move -- especially if they are downsizing like in the case of CNA.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
No one builds class A office space without first landing actual tenants. Unlike residential, no one builds an office tower on spec based on market conditions and general "feeling." Just look at 590 W Madison.

Also keep in mind that a number of tenants moving to 150 N. Riverside, 151 N. Franklin, and River Point are leaving other office buildings in the CBD and will create more vacant supply when they move -- especially if they are downsizing like in the case of CNA.
Yes. This is why news of companies from outside of the CBD moving downtown is good news. Get enough of it, we may see a new tower. Who knows though. I still think that if the city is able to secure the Post Office, we could see some corporate relocation action there. We'll see though - it's going to cost a lot of money to clean that place up though.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:46 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Actually that does depend on the market. Other cities are building on spec, and I'm sure Chicago has relatively recently as well.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:57 PM
Chicago

The Parker Fulton Market - 730 Couch Place

March 4, 2016

The Parker
Fulton Market
730 Couch Place

http://www.theparkerchicago.com/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 6:37 PM

Today
Cabrini area

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 6:40 PM

Today
Kenect

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 9:40 PM

I didn't snap a picture but when I walked by No. 9 Walton not long ago, I noticed the crane is completely up and it was (or maybe another smaller one) was removing some of the back hoe type of equipment from the site, or at least it appeared that way.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:43 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Wrong here. Office towers can and do get built on spec. As mhays pointed out. Now, they have not been common traditionally (at least in the past couple cycles) in Chicago. But if the market continues to steadily tighten and gain strength, we will certainly see 1 or 2.....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:47 AM
you know where I'll be

Great updates Solar and JM.

Parker looks fantastic. Really strong work from Booth Hansen....

What is up with that structural system on Kennect's low-rise component.......funky mix of wood (rarity in itself round these parts - i mean how many low-mid rise projects around downtown have we seen using wood structure at all?) and metal......perplexed a little by that choice......

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:49 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
Continue to have very good feeling that 130 North Franklin will be able to get off the ground by Q4 '16 or Q1 '17........

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:39 PM
BANNED

I believe in you Sam.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:57 PM

Soil testing at 1 S. Halsted according to ChiArch Drill, Baby, Drill

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Soil testing at 1 S. Halsted according to ChiArch Drill, Baby, Drill
Hopefully with the move towards less parking they'll cut the podium down by a couple stories.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Hopefully with the move towards less parking they'll cut the podium down by a couple stories.
I could be mistaken but thought some of the parking was also intended for the hotel.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:16 PM

nevermind

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
What is up with that structural system on Kennect's low-rise component.......funky mix of wood (rarity in itself round these parts - i mean how many low-mid rise projects around downtown have we seen using wood structure at all?) and metal......perplexed a little by that choice......
Wood is the cheapest option and developers can/will use wood wherever possible to save money to the maximum extent allowed by code.

A non-combustible construction is required between the commercial/garage and residential, so you usually see a CIP or precast 1st-floor "plinth" with wood above; that's the generally accepted solution for midrise around the US.

I suspect the steel at Kenect is only there for aesthetic reasons, to give the structure a slimmer profile at balconies and terraces and allow for maximum open area on the facade, while pretty much everything else is wood for cost reasons.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wood is the cheapest option and developers can/will use wood wherever possible to save money to the maximum extent allowed by code. A non-combustible construction is required between the commercial/garage and residential, so you usually see a CIP or precast 1st-floor "plinth" with wood above.

I think (much of) the steel components are only there for aesthetics, so that the balconies and terraces can have "exposed steel structure".
I understand what he's getting at though. It's not too often we see this particular style of larger multi unit construction in Chicago compared to a lot of the west coast where it's basically standard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations