HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 1:51 PM

[QUOTE=MolsonExport ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInOntari-ari-o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
London is turning into a charmless sprawlsville. On the periphery of London (e.g., North and South ends of Wonderland road), there is commercial and residential construction aplenty. Big Box retailers are multiplying on the exurbs. Meanwhile, lots closer to downtown lie vacant (some for more than a decade), and malls wither and die (e.g., The Galleria and Westmount Shopping Centre). Much of downtown consists of parking lots and under-utlized buildings. and Wharncliffe Road is an embarassment (tacky stuck-in-the-fifities-but-aging-very-ungracefully).
Exactly. People from London can be so snobby about how great their city is, but from an urbanist's standpoint it's a nightmare. It just keeps getting worse...look at the Home Depot and all that other crap going up on Wonderland South. I hear so much Windsor bashing from Londoners (most of it based on tired stereotypes) but at least Windsor isn't a sprawlzilla.
I wonder sometimes why some people comment when they do on some things.

Do either you or Molson mean to say that Windsor and Montreal are not themselves sprawling? Seeing that you feel you have any right to comment on London I wonder what basis for comparison you really have. London for example is only completing its second home depot while Windsor already has two. A recent road trip to Windsor also reveals new suburbs sprouting up, begining around Belle River to Windsor and down to Amherstburg. I'm not surprised by all this, and I doubt there is a single example of a reasonably prospoerous city in Canada that isn't in fact sprawling so it begs the question, why single London out unless you feel that London should somehow be the single exception to all the gall and sprawl? More than likely, it seems you think London needs to be taken down a notch. Nonetheless,
I fail to see why Windsor's industrial grot (still very apparent on my recent trip) for which it is famous is any less unsightly than big boxes on Wonderland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
Speaking for myself, I feel eminently qualified to comment on such phenomena, having moved from Montreal to London. The points that I mentioned are specific to London, but not uniquely affecting London. I don't like the sprawl in Montreal either, but the downtown is a hell of a lot healthier (and getting more so) than that of London, even after adjusting for the relative difference in size. And I live on Wonderland road, so I will damn well comment all I want to; sorry if it offends you.
Yes, I recall you saying you live on Wonderland and it's ironic isn't it that you should move there, out there in the sprawl with the mall only to lament the condition of the downtown? Let me ask, does the car make your life possible?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 2:01 PM

Quote:
I commented because I'm sick of the Windsor-bashing that I hear when I tell people in London that I'm from Windsor. I'm not talking about you or the people on this forum, I'm talking about the average Londoner. It's unbelievable how people seem to think their city is so great and all other small Ontario cities are crap. London has some major issues, probably the foremost are sprawl and traffic.

Obviously Windsor and every city has sprawl but the problem is much worse than average in London. Look at air photos or maps of London, it's full of curvy cul-de-sacs. I've lived in London for a year and have explored every part of it so I figured I could comment. Overall, I've enjoyed living here.
Your perspective of london's traffic, is that from behind the wheel of your car?

I don't believe what an averge amount for sprawl is has ever been established but is your concern about land use or cul de sacs? London may well boast more than Windsor but London's growth has generally out-stripped Windsor's in recent decades.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 8:35 PM

Good to see the London/Windsor rivalry is still alive after all these years.

You're right, the reason Windsor doesn't have as much sprawl is because it didn't grow at all between about 1975 and 1995. Yes it's more gritty and the downtown is in worse shape, but overall the rest of the city blows London away in terms of urbanity. London is more like Kitchener while Windsor is more like Hamilton in this respect. One problem with the Windsor region is that it hasn't been able to annex its surrounding suburbs like London has. But despite swallowing up vast amounts of farmland surrounding the city, London hasn't shown much will to contain sprawl.

Regarding traffic, yes it's from my car. London is one of the largest cities in North America without an expressway. It badly needs one! Every time one of my friends/relatives has come up here to visit, the first thing they talk about is how bad the traffic is. Just driving across town today took me 30 minutes...way too long for a city this size.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 10:26 PM
The SSP MVP

Are you honestly comparing Windor's urbanity to Hamilton? I don't even think you can the Windsor layout to any city in Ontario.....maybe Oshawa is somewhat similar?

The areas outside of London are quite similar to Kitchener...but the city centre is incomparable and London just blows that city away. Two main problems that add to the traffic problems is that many of the routes that have bus lines are only 2 lanes wide. So during rush hour, the buses just throttle all of the traffic in the city...especially on streets like Adelaide and Oxford. Then the other biggie are the train lines that make London the king of Canada when it comes to traffic due to railroad crossings. There just seems to be no real direction as to how this city is going to solve its traffic problems. Hell, it took them 30 years to implement that bus island at masonville place...it was originally planned in the 70s.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 12:53 AM

Yeah, as far as downtowns go, London wins no contest. But for the rest of the city, Windsor wins no contest (in terms of urbanism anyway). As a city, Windsor is Hamiltonesque while London is more Kitcheneresque - it can't be compared directly to Hamilton because Ham is more than double the size.

I don't know how to solve London's traffic problem - a freeway is needed but you can't just go plowing through neighbourhoods to build one. Perhaps a ring road would help but London is spread out enough where it may take just as long to travel around the ring road to get across town.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 7:58 AM
not cleavefied

bring back the london trolleys!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 2:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Good to see the London/Windsor rivalry is still alive after all these years.

Regarding traffic, yes it's from my car. London is one of the largest cities in North America without an expressway. It badly needs one! Every time one of my friends/relatives has come up here to visit, the first thing they talk about is how bad the traffic is. Just driving across town today took me 30 minutes...way too long for a city this size.
Yeah, tell me about it. When I interviewed with UWO, I was told that London didn't suffer from traffic jams (and to be fair, compared to Montreal, there are few), and that one could "get anywhere in London, from anywhere, in 15 minutes". That last point is BS. It takes me 30 minutes to cross the city, during the daylight hours.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 4:47 PM
not cleavefied

wouldn't it be nice if london's downtown was completely functioning and you didn't need to cross town except for that one errand once in a while?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 8:08 PM

Another thing that perturbs me is the way Londoners talk about Windsor like it's dangerous and crime infested (all based on tired Detroit stereotypes of course). Yet, there have been 13 murders in London this year compared to 3 in Windsor. London is in the running for murder capital of Canada at this rate.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 7:51 AM
Londoner

Gimme An H!!

A 21-foot high "H" symbol is being raised to the roof of the new Children's Hospital of Western Ontario at Commissioners and Wellington Roads in London.

Once in place, it will be the most visible hospital sign in the city.

The CEO of London Health Sciences Centre, Tony Dagnone, is taking part in the ceremony.

There will also have an update for us on construction at St. Joseph's Health Care.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 8:01 AM
Londoner

Quote:
Quote by Blitz
Another thing that perturbs me is the way Londoners talk about Windsor like it's dangerous and crime infested (all based on tired Detroit stereotypes of course). Yet, there have been 13 murders in London this year compared to 3 in Windsor. London is in the running for murder capital of Canada at this rate.

Murder rate rose slightly in 2004, Statscan says

CTV.ca News Staff

Following a steady overall decline that reached an all-time low in 2003, Canada's murder rate increased by 72 homicides last year, compared to 2003.

The increase brings last year's murder tally to 622, according to numbers supplied by Canada's police services and tallied by Statistics Canada.

The rise amounts to a Canada-wide average of 1.95 murders per 100,000 people, compared to a rate of 1.73 in 2003.

In Toronto, where gun violence has been an almost daily event in recent months, the 2004 murder rate dropped slightly, from 94 homicides in 2003, to 95 in 2004, according to Stats Canada numbers.

Of dubious distinction, Halifax had a notably higher rate than its more populous neighbours, taking the title as murder capital of Eastern Canada with a rate of 2.37 murders per 100,000. Toronto and Montreal followed at 1.8 and 1.37 murders per 100,000.

Cities of similar size in Eastern Canada also had lower rates than Halifax.

* St. Catharines 1.62
* Kitchener 1.26
* London 1.07
* Saint John 0.69

But in the west, most larger cities reported higher rates than Halifax.

* Winnipeg 4.89
* Edmonton 3.39
* Vancouver 2.58
* Calgary 1.91

Provincially, P.E.I, Newfoundland and New Brunswick had the lowest murder rate in 2004, with less than one homicide per 100,000 people. Manitoba had the highest rate at 4.27, followed by Saskatchewan at 3.92 and Alberta at 2.69. Ontario was in the middle of the provincial pack, with 1.51 murders per 100,000 people.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 5:38 PM
Londoner

Rename a major city

Airport Road step closer to new name

With a lineup of decorated veterans standing before them last night, city council broke protocol to rush through a resolution to speed up the process to rename a major city road Veterans Memorial Parkway.

After a week of public criticism over how long it has taken to rename Airport Road, council jumped at the first opportunity to set a public meeting that's a prerequisite to changing a road's name.

"I wonder if you might move the motion while the vets are here," Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco said to Coun. Roger Caranci after council began its meeting by honouring the community role played by London area branches of the Royal Canadian Legion.

It was Caranci -- along with councillors Bernie MacDonald, Fred Tranquilli, Cheryl Miller and Controller Bud Polhill -- who a year ago suggested the name change to honour veterans.

The renaming was one of several veterans initiatives by council for 2005, which has been designated the Year of the Veteran.

But when council took until Oct. 24 to vote to begin the process to change the name, some Londoners were critical, fearful the change wouldn't take effect before year's end.

The criticism intensified last week after city staff proposed a quicker way to get a new name that would have the road designated, but not renamed.

So there was a sense of urgency last night as council set a public meeting for Dec. 12, the quickest it could be done while still following regulations on public notice.

"I'm hoping we can have it renamed by the end of the year," Caranci said after the meeting.

"Whatever we do we have to do it in the best interests of veterans. It's a great way to honour them," he said.

It took nearly a year for the proposed name change as a city-appointed task force reviewed ways to honour veterans.

"I would have liked it to come forward sooner, but we had to let the task force perform due diligence," Caranci said

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 8:04 PM

Regarding the London homicide rate, I realize the past numbers are average but I'm talking about the numbers in 2005. I've heard London police officers blaming this on guns coming from Toronto but who knows...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2005, 2:17 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

ah, London... its been a few years since I lived there, but it still makes me chuckle. Funny town, that one.

Nice to see some projects going up, even if they're pretty banal-looking. Did I read right? Rideout Tavern is now a parking lot? Fitting, in a way.

I miss a mid-afternoon bowl French-Onion soup and Keith's at JD's Diner though. One of my fave London rituals.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2005, 6:37 PM
Londoner

Health centres planned in region

The London region is getting three new community health centres and one satellite centre, part of a $74.6-million expansion of Ontario's community health network.

The first of the new centres, to be staffed by doctors, nurse practicioners, counsellors and dietitians, will be built in Woodstock next year.

Community health centres are also planned for St. Thomas and Chatham-Kent in 2006-07 and a satellite centre for Wallaceburg in 2007-08.

Ontario has 54 community health centres and 10 satellite operations, including ones in London, Grand Bend, Forest and West Elgin.

Health Minister George Smitherman said the new centres will be tailored to meet community needs.

Labour Minister Steve Peters, the Elgin-Middlesex-London MPP, said he's excited to have a centre coming to St. Thomas after seeing the West Elgin one in action. "They have been able to offer a wide variety of services to the community in a very cost effective way," he said.

Smitherman said the new centres also could help address social problems such as gun violence because of "the comprehensive nature of the work that they do."

Conservative critic Bob Runciman fumed Smitherman made the announcement in suburban Scarborough, part of Toronto, where a byelection is being held to replace former Liberal MPP Alvin Curling.

Runciman said the Liberals used to accuse the previous Tory government of "cheating" with announcements in byelection ridings.

"It seems the McGuinty Liberals have a double standard," Runciman said. "This is just another example of the Liberals not being straightforward with the people of Ontario."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 2:08 PM
Londoner

Downtown revitalization has 'turned the corner'

Downtown revitalization has 'turned the corner'

Sat, November 12, 2005

Revitalization of London's downtown is no longer a hope, but a reality, says a new city report.

Property values are climbing, new businesses are setting up shop, developers and property owners are building and upgrading and new tax dollars are flowing into city coffers, the report says.

"I think we've turned the corner," said Vic Cote, the city's finance boss who, as former head of planning, is considered one of the architects of the core's rebound.

"We are getting to the point, though, where we're starting to see a return on our investments in the growth in assessment," he said.

But Cote also stressed there's still work to be done.

"We're not prepared to say the job is done until we see Dundas Street taking shape."

Still, the state of the downtown is a far cry from the mid- 1990s, when property values plummeted $60 million in the six-block area surrounding the corner of Richmond and Dundas streets.

Since 2001, downtown property assessment has increased more than $50 million.

Here are the numbers:

- Population: Since 1998, more than 1,100 residential units have been built with an estimated 2,000 people moving to the core.

- New stores: In the past year, 74 new stores opened (including several inside Covent Garden Market) while only a handful closed.

- Construction: Since 1998, the city has issued private sector building permits -- for new construction and renovation -- valued at $120 million.

In the five years before 1998, total private-sector building permits were valued at less than $22 million.

- New construction: The city spent about $51 million building the Covent Garden Market in 1998 and the John Labatt Centre in 2001. Since 2001, the private sector has spent nearly $52 million in new construction, mostly residential highrises.

Janette MacDonald, manager of Mainstreet London, said the JLC and market sparked much of the private-sector interest in the core.

"Almost everyone I've talked to said if the JLC wasn't built, they wouldn't have invested down here," she said .

Likewise, people are heading downtown more often, but not just to attend events.

"When people come to the events, they're looking around and seeing it's a place to eat, to shop . . . it has changed their perception of the downtown," MacDonald said.

Three incentive programs are also helping revitalization:

- Tax rebates for property owners who upgrade their properties. To date, the city has refunded $4.4 million, but collected an extra $13.3 million.

- Interest-free loans up to $50,000 to cover 50 per cent of the cost to upgrade buildings to code. The city has lent $740,000, but owners have spent $3.18 million.

- Waiving development fees for new construction, which has led to the construction of eight new residential highrises.

Retailers and restaurateurs have also responded. New restaurants and nightclubs have opened near the JLC. And the increased pedestrian traffic is drawing retailers.

Jonathan Bancroft-Snell Interiors, a studio specializing in top Canadian ceramic artists and paintings by emerging artists, moved from Galleria London to a Dundas Street storefront near Wellington Road last May.

Sales soared and Bancroft-Snell said he expects to end the year up 50 per cent.

"I really feel the downtown is on the edge of a boom and I wanted to make sure I was there before the rents go up," he said. "There's a vitality downtown now that's just incredible. I've even had people come in telling me the downtown is going to be like it was in the old days."

Bancroft-Snell described the core as a "rising Phoenix."

"And it's the people doing it," he said. "There's a real core of merchants here who really give a damn and it's not just about making money.

"They really believe in the downtown."

MacDonald said, aside from a "few small pockets" on other streets, Dundas Street between Richmond and Clarence streets remains the biggest challenge.

"We need some additional incentives for this block," MacDonald said.

She explained property values haven't recovered from the early 1990s.

"Where we have had success, the people bought their buildings at reasonable prices and they were able to invest in those buildings," she said.

"But some of the people (on this block) bought high and they're not motivated to spend any more money and you really can't blame them."

Cote agrees.

"We need to focus on Dundas and make it so attractive it becomes irresistible for people to set up business and take the risk," he said.

"If we can get Dundas on a stable footing, I think we'll see another phase of private sector investment in the core."

Other issues, MacDonald said, include the need to have more people living in the core and for temporary parking lots to be developed for commercial and residential use.

City planner John Fleming, author of the report, said the city can't rest on its successes.

"It took a long time getting to the state it was in in the mid-1990s and it will take a long time to turn it around.

"We're not to the point where we can become complacent."

WHAT OTHERS SAY

"I feel it in my bones that downtown is the focal (point) of the city again, like it used to be when Eatons and Simpsons were there."

Alan Klein, who, with wife Barb, opened Randall Klein Design showroom in late September at 115 Dundas St. to display the furniture they make.

"I think we're evolving as best we can with buildings that were designed for a different era. I'm optimistic, but it's not going to happen overnight."

Fred Kingsmill, owner of Kingsmill's on Dundas, who has watched the downtown's evolution over more than 50 years.

"I think there are a lot of positive feelings and energy downtown. People are really coming together and Mainstreet London has had a real impact working closely with all the businesses."

Lindsey Elwood, chair of the London Downtown Business Association.

"The beachhead is being built . . . I don't want to jinx it, but I really see some positive stuff happening."

Mike Smith, owner of Chancey Smith's at Covent Garden Market.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great, hope it continues.

East London (pretty much everything east of adelaide) needs some help too.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:38 PM

The JLC has provided a huge boost, I think all smaller Canadian cities should look at that as a model.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 1:09 AM
not cleavefied

now lets take care of the surface lots in the surrounding jlc environs

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 2:17 AM
Londoner

Property tax cut urged

Less than 10 per cent of an $8.7-million surplus is earmarked to lower taxes.

By PATRICK MALONEY, FREE PRESS REPORTER

About $600,000 of an estimated $8.7-million budget surplus expected at city hall should go toward cutting property taxes, senior administrators recommend.

Several other projects that would "improve the financial health" of London should get the lion's share of the surplus, staff said in a report that will be presented at Wednesday's board of control meeting.

But the recommendation to set aside less than 10 per cent of the projected surplus to lower the 2006 tax increase irks at least one city councillor.

"Here we have an opportunity to give Londoners some relief after years of (property tax) increases," Paul Van Meerbergen said. "That's what we should do.

"The bottom line: It belongs to the people of London. Give it back to them."

The city's draft budget proposes a five-per-cent hike in property taxes next year.

But in past years that featured budget surpluses, council has also resisted the urge to slash taxes. Last year, a $12.9-million overflow wasn't found until after budget deliberations and most of the money went toward paying down debt.

This latest recommendation was defended by senior administrators during the weekend who call it the city's most responsible option.

"It's our job to spend the money wisely," said city manager Jeff Fielding.

The expected $8.7 million is earmarked for several projects in the staff recommendation to council, including:

- $2 million to cover potential future costs referred to as London's "unfunded liability."

- $2 million toward the financing of a $7.6-million expansion of police headquarters.

- $2 million toward paying down the city's debt.

- $1.5 million to cover for taxes that were expected but can't be collected.

Some Londoners, however, are adamant they deserve a bigger share of the surplus than $600,000.

"Budget surpluses of $12 million for 2005 and the same for 2004 simply means taxpayers have been overcharged for both years," J.W. Wood wrote in an e-mail in response to a Free Press interactive asking what should be done with the surplus. "It is our money and should be returned."

To Van Meerbergen, that's become a common refrain from taxpayers.

"I've heard loud and clear from my constituents that they are carrying a very heavy tax burden and they are looking for relief," he said. "They can't continue to carry this load."

In an effort to draw citizens into the budget process, more than 40 city councillors and staffers attended a budget open house at the London Convention Centre Saturday morning. The event's goal was to explain and discuss city spending with Londoners, said Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell.

In the end, however, only a half dozen people showed up.

"I think after this I'll feel frustrated if (Londoners) start complaining because they've been given this opportunity," Coun. Harold Usher said during the event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates