HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:53 PM

I like it from an angle, but straight on I agree it's too wide. The vertical lines do somewhat help alleviate the stumpy look.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 9:44 PM
Semi-Lurker

I think it's turning out quite nicely and an overall improvement for the area.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 10:49 PM

I haven't totally made my mind up yet about this one but overall I think it is looking great. It is wide but the vertical lines offset that bulkiness a bit. I think the height and prominence on our stale waterfront is fantastic, personally. It also makes that ugly concrete parking garage less visible from the east, which IMO is a nice bonus.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:04 AM

Narrower would cast less shadow on Waterfront Park. If the waterfront gets lined with buildings like this, the park will be a less appealing place especially in the season when sunlight is most precious.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 4:39 PM

I'm sorry, but this building just is so blah. Nothing stately or iconic to say "justice". A truly bland piece of architecture that doesn't deserve such a prominent piece of real estate. An iconic crown with setbacks and columns was needed IMO. FAIL!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I'm sorry, but this building just is so blah. Nothing stately or iconic to say "justice". A truly bland piece of architecture that doesn't deserve such a prominent piece of real estate. An iconic crown with setbacks and columns was needed IMO. FAIL!
I can't tell if you're being serious about the crown and columns but, if so, they also missed an opportunity to install public amputation areas and pits for live burnings -- both of which could have also added legitmacy to the architectural history behind Western concepts of "justice".

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious about the crown and columns but, if so, they also missed an opportunity to install public amputation areas and pits for live burnings -- both of which could have also added legitmacy to the architectural history behind Western concepts of "justice".

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Western concepts of "justice".
Hey, why have a courthouse at all, amirite?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:30 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
Hey, why have a courthouse at all, amirite?
At this point, are we still a nation of laws? If Trump "wins" a second term, we might not even need courthouses anymore. We could convert this building into condos and move the courthouse to anywhere that can fit enough cages to house those the cheeto disapproves of.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 8:07 PM

On June 10th the Landmarks Commission will review a proposal to remove Jefferson Station from the National Register of Historic Places. I hear this isn't being initiated by the building's owner, Multnomah County.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:15 PM
A before E

I have been really pleased with this building, it has made for a really good addition to the city skyline and density. It really stands out when you cross over the river to the western side and north of this building because it is the largest building for those blocks.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:06 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...e-project.html

Quote:
Preservationist wants to yank historic designation of building gutted in Portland courthouse project
Today 6:04 AM
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

A Portland architect wants a century-old downtown building removed from the National Register of Historic Places after it was gutted during the construction of the new Multnomah County courthouse.

The county bought the three-story building in 2016 with plans to incorporate it into the 17-story courthouse next door. The smaller building, known as Jefferson Station, would hold high-volume courtrooms, like traffic court, as well as a child-care center for people with court business.

But Kirk Ranzetta, the former chairman of Portland’s Historic Landmarks Commission, said he was “alarmed” when he walked past the building during construction and saw little remained except two walls and a few elements of the internal structure.

“It kind of stares you in the face,” said Ranzetta, who works nearby and walks past the building often. “A lot of people I talk to say it’s a pretty heavy-handed approach when you see an excavator inside the building.”

The county is contesting the proposal, saying Ranzetta has exaggerated the results of the renovation.

The building was one of the earliest electric substations in downtown Portland and the last of its type still standing in the city. Jefferson Station provided electricity for the city’s early street lighting and streetcar system. Architecturally, it was notable for its reinforced concrete structural system — the earliest of its kind in Portland.

The building was renovated in 1981 in part through a using federal tax credit and a state tax abatement, resulting in thousands of public dollars diverted to help preserve the building for posterity. (Now owned by Multnomah County, the building is off the tax rolls altogether.)
...(continues)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I don't get what pulling the historic designation achieves? If it's no longer registered, the County can just pull it down completely or make incongruous changes that were previously promised.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
The Furniture and Equipment Bill Grows for Multnomah County’s New Courthouse
At least one lawmaker has sticker shock.

Oregon lawmakers recently agreed to spend $9 million on new furniture and technology for the Multnomah County Courthouse.

While lawmakers couldn't find money this session to properly support defense attorneys for the poorest defendants, they did scrape together this money—on top of the $324.5 million already pumped into the county's new courthouse. That includes $11.6 million in county and state dollars already approved for tech and furniture.

In 2014, the state promised to meet half the projected cost of the downtown Portland courthouse at $125 million with the expectation the number would rise with equipment and furnishings. Five years on, the state is actually paying $143 million.
...continues at Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:26 PM

Updates 2.3.20

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:12 PM

Thank you, Mark. Us Portland expatriates really appreciate these photo updates!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Thank you, Mark. Us Portland expatriates really appreciate these photo updates!!
No problem. I try to remind myself I have a camera in my pocket when I wander around downtown to get lunch and whatnot.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:20 AM

Love the photo updates. If anyone has any requests let me know I'm out and about a lot and don't mind snapping some photos and posting them on here. I feel like there haven't been enough updates lately and I'd be down to contribute.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:23 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Love the photo updates. If anyone has any requests let me know I'm out and about a lot and don't mind snapping some photos and posting them on here. I feel like there haven't been enough updates lately and I'd be down to contribute.
Thanks for the offer. I am out of the country till late April so I would love update photos of projects under construction in the central city. There are a few in the Pearl, the brick infill in Skidmore / Old Town on SW Ash, I think, the two hotels on Alder at 10th and 11th (not the food cart block), the Oregonian block near Providence Park, even the redo of the Wells Fargo momma tower and umbilical-connected baby on SW 4th. Gracias.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Any photos you can share of Block 216/Food Cart Block/Ritz-Carlton Tower would be most appreciated.

I look at the live cam of the Courthouse frequently. If anyone learns of a cam for Block 216, please share the link!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland