HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The rental rate is maybe a bit higher per square foot, but you can find studios for about $1300 in the Collective, whereas PAW is a minimum $1500. The prices at the Collective appear to be pretty competitive with the Cyan next door, despite having much nicer amenities. Haven't been in them to assess the ceiling height, but I would imagine they are standard 8'?
If I'm reading their website correctly, one would have to pay a premium for the unit if you want access to the outdoor terrace, rooftop deck and the "Exlusive VIP Floor" which I am assuming is where the building amenities are?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:56 AM

Thought this was a student housing project. No?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:38 PM

I just looked back at the first pages of this thread and yeah, this was proposed as a high end student housing building, part of a brand called HUB on Campus. It appears it went all market rate luxury housing, not sure why or when.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
If I'm reading their website correctly, one would have to pay a premium for the unit if you want access to the outdoor terrace, rooftop deck and the "Exlusive VIP Floor" which I am assuming is where the building amenities are?
Amenities are spread on a few different floors to my understanding. There's a roof deck with pool and lounge near the top floor and more basic amenities on the roof of the lower part of the building. Then there's a really nice looking gym on the ground floor. I suppose they could be charging for the top floor as the VIP?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Amenities are spread on a few different floors to my understanding. There's a roof deck with pool and lounge near the top floor and more basic amenities on the roof of the lower part of the building. Then there's a really nice looking gym on the ground floor. I suppose they could be charging for the top floor as the VIP?
Could be. Hard to know without going in and asking them.

I wonder how this would work out if the building had mandatory inclusionary housing. Would those that live in the building in IZ apartments have different levels of access to building amenities because they aren't paying the "VIP" rent?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Could be. Hard to know without going in and asking them.

I wonder how this would work out if the building had mandatory inclusionary housing. Would those that live in the building in IZ apartments have different levels of access to building amenities because they aren't paying the "VIP" rent?
The IH admin rules prohibit that, IIRC.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:51 AM

I worked on this project, anyone who rents a unit here is an idiot. Worst quality and oversight of any job in my career.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:11 PM

That's sad to hear. I find the build to be attractive in comparison to other similar projects. Guess you shouldn't judge a building by it's cover either.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:24 PM

The general contractor, John Hyland Construction, bit off way more they could chew as this was supposed to be their coming out party to the world of larger high rise projects. Their arrogance and lack of experience resulted in a huge lack of manpower for the skilled trades and had to hire temporary help off Tradesman.com which is a site for people who are licensed in a trade but do temporary work.

If you have an electrical or pluming journeyman card in oregon, and cant hold down a job and are a temp, its probably because your stupid,lazy, or a have a drug problem, all of which were evident in the workmanship.

Shit rolls downhill, it wasn't just that quality was bad (construction is always 2 steps for ward 1 step back), its that they just didn't give a shit enough to even find and fix mistakes.

The exterior and lobby are beautiful and the location is prime. The building aint falling down any time soon and the lights will turn on and the water will run. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do things and quality workmanship should be a matter of principal for all parties involved.

When Hyland's lead superintendent smokes fat joints in his job shack and stinks up the place (I smoke weed too, but never at work, and vapes exist man) should tell you everything about the level of professionalism expected from the top down.

There is a story behind every job lol

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltagePDX View Post
The general contractor, John Hyland Construction, bit off way more they could chew as this was supposed to be their coming out party to the world of larger high rise projects. Their arrogance and lack of experience resulted in a huge lack of manpower for the skilled trades and had to hire temporary help off Tradesman.com which is a site for people who are licensed in a trade but do temporary work.

If you have an electrical or pluming journeyman card in oregon, and cant hold down a job and are a temp, its probably because your stupid,lazy, or a have a drug problem, all of which were evident in the workmanship.

Shit rolls downhill, it wasn't just that quality was bad (construction is always 2 steps for ward 1 step back), its that they just didn't give a shit enough to even find and fix mistakes.

The exterior and lobby are beautiful and the location is prime. The building aint falling down any time soon and the lights will turn on and the water will run. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do things and quality workmanship should be a matter of principal for all parties involved.

When Hyland's lead superintendent smokes fat joints in his job shack and stinks up the place (I smoke weed too, but never at work, and vapes exist man) should tell you everything about the level of professionalism expected from the top down.

There is a story behind every job lol
So it will be interesting to keep an eye on this building to see how long it takes for it to have to go under serious renovations to fix the mistakes that were missed when it went up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:41 AM

Had an appointment nearby this afternoon. I really like how this one turned out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland