HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 10:05 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Heck, when we are rooting for our new MLB team, the Portland Beavers, I will probably be at that game with a beer and a dog thinking to myself "I could totally see them building a subway line or two in downtown Portland.
Or, better yet, The Portland Mavericks. I just hope the construction noise from the forthcoming subway isn't too loud near the newly built Portland Mavericks Stadium, which will have been built on the land where the I-5 sat before it was merged into a span of the by-then capped 405.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 2:15 AM

After the game, I could catch the mag-lev to Seattle, then transfer to the hyperloop running under the Bering Straight to Vladivostock for breakfast.

2050 is going to be SO COOL.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 4:37 AM

We're all friends here, please keep the conversation respectful and on topic.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Just stopped by to check this thread out. Are ya really talking about something that first of all might not even happen let alone sometime in the mid 21st century??

Geez

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Just stopped by to check this thread out. Are ya really talking about something that first of all might not even happen let alone sometime in the mid 21st century??

Geez
Your screen name is rather ironic.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:24 PM
Karma Police

It's amazing how many people on here can't think beyond the next project. I guess they all want instant gratification. I'm just glad they're not planners or nothing would ever get built.

^^^^
Good point, twofiftyfive. Innovative thinking, indeed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:55 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

It's not that we can't think beyond the current project. It's that a subway is probably a minimum of 50 years away. If there were any evidence that planning would begin in the next decade - note that I said planning, not even construction - if there were any evidence that planning for a subway would begin in the next decade, or if there were any evidence that anyone at Trimet was seriously discussing even just the possibility of a subway, there would probably be quite a bit of interest in the topic.

This thread is about Trimet news, but there's no news about a subway other than the article I linked to where Trimet said it's not going to happen.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 11:23 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
if there were any evidence that planning for a subway would begin in the next decade, or if there were any evidence that anyone at Trimet was seriously discussing even just the possibility of a subway, there would probably be quite a bit of interest in the topic.

This thread is about Trimet news, but there's no news about a subway other than the article I linked to where Trimet said it's not going to happen.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 5:30 PM

portland needs to extend some lines, make the lines have less stops and have fuel cell trains. that wont happen for another 50 years also

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not that we can't think beyond the current project. It's that a subway is probably a minimum of 50 years away. If there were any evidence that planning would begin in the next decade - note that I said planning, not even construction - if there were any evidence that planning for a subway would begin in the next decade, or if there were any evidence that anyone at Trimet was seriously discussing even just the possibility of a subway, there would probably be quite a bit of interest in the topic.

Exactly. Lol it's like we're talking about nothing but just a wish that MIGHT happen. Get over it. There's no talks of a subway, no plans of a subway, and certainly not even a wish for one by the ppl who decides these things.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:25 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabom View Post
portland needs to extend some lines, make the lines have less stops and have fuel cell trains. that wont happen for another 50 years also
Fuel cell trains? The MAX is already run on electric. The number of stops isn't much of an issue as long as the stops are needed locations. There could be some line extensions, I would like to see a new spur built for the Red Line on the westside.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 10:38 PM

fuel cell light rail is a lot better and its in the uk and china. the orange line has way to many stops.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 10:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
fuel cell light rail is a lot better and its in the uk and china. the orange line has way to many stops.
Orange line has way too many stops? I find that hard to believe, it has 11 stops on it, not including the stops along the transit mall, which are all evenly spaced out.

Which stop do you think should be eliminated? To me it looks like each stop targets key areas to maximize use of the new light rail line and commute shouldn't be that long from the end of the line to downtown.

http://www.museumofthecity.org/urban...tion-portland/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 11:21 PM

i dont know but the bus 33 onky stops a couple times through there

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 12:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
i dont know but the bus 33 onky stops a couple times through there
Huh? The 33 bus has tons of stops during the same length of the Orange line. So you don't know which of those stops it shouldn't have, yet you think it has too many stops? That makes no sense.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 1:51 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAX_Orange_Line

from the union station to park ave its 7.3 miles and take off 1.3 miles.

the dotted line is 6 miles with 11 stops, thats why i thought it should be less

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAX_Orange_Line

from the union station to park ave its 7.3 miles and take off 1.3 miles.

the dotted line is 6 miles with 11 stops, thats why i thought it should be less
11 stops in 6 miles sounds about right, especially seeing each one of those stops targets specific areas and should produce a good amount of riders. I couldn't think of a single stop along that line that should be cut because they each seem to be important.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:59 AM

its just at the max amount of stops you want, i can live with it

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:57 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
11 stops in 6 miles sounds about right, especially seeing each one of those stops targets specific areas and should produce a good amount of riders. I couldn't think of a single stop along that line that should be cut because they each seem to be important.
It's actually only 10 stops, the eleventh is a future Harold St Station. But you're right, none of these stops are frivolous and they're very well spaced.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:20 AM
Karma Police

Quote:

Agree to disagree on the timing. I don't think a lot of people understand the trajectory of expansion of our mass transit system, or that Trimet doesn't make those decisions. But I can't fix that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure