HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Now if only something would be done with the other two corners...
Agreed. This is the busiest intersection in the West Side apart from maybe Simms. Those two plots of land are prime business real estate... why have they been empty for so long?

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:36 AM
Unregistered Loser

Westmorland Road

I've had two ideas for some time on how Westmorland Road, in the retail district could be improved for traffic and pedestrians:

1. Any of us who drive, and any of us who don't, both know how terrible he situation is between McAllister Place and Walmart. Pedestrians don't have time to cross at Parkway, and try to get across in front of Sobeys instead. I'm surprised someone hadn't been killed yet. Though expensive, there should be an underground pedestrian tunnel, with entrances similar to a subway entrance. People on foot would simply go under the road, and back up on the other side.

2. CAA was the first business on the hill, before any East Pointe retailer opened up, so they paid to have lights installed to cater to their entrance. In any case, the last I heard, they were reluctant to take them down since they paid for them. Perhaps the city should connect CAA to the newer Depot Court, and close off the Westmorland entrance. I'm sure they could work something out.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I've had two ideas for some time on how Westmorland Road, in the retail district could be improved for traffic and pedestrians:

1. Any of us who drive, and any of us who don't, both know how terrible he situation is between McAllister Place and Walmart. Pedestrians don't have time to cross at Parkway, and try to get across in front of Sobeys instead. I'm surprised someone hadn't been killed yet. Though expensive, there should be an underground pedestrian tunnel, with entrances similar to a subway entrance. People on foot would simply go under the road, and back up on the other side.

2. CAA was the first business on the hill, before any East Pointe retailer opened up, so they paid to have lights installed to cater to their entrance. In any case, the last I heard, they were reluctant to take them down since they paid for them. Perhaps the city should connect CAA to the newer Depot Court, and close off the Westmorland entrance. I'm sure they could work something out.

Under ground in a swamp?

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 1:52 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker View Post
Under ground in a swamp?
Good point. Maybe a pedestrian bridge then.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:59 AM

Apparently, Journeys which is a shoes store chain, will open a location in Saint John, the first in NB for now.

http://www.careerbeacon.com/search/e...3/MB1305172539

http://www.journeys.com/

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Good point. Maybe a pedestrian bridge then.
No swamp on this site. It is a hill folks!

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:28 PM

Anyone got any pics of the new Kent's on the West Side?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:53 AM

Pita Pit Saint John posted on their Facebook page over the weekend that they will be opening over west this fall, it will be located in the final vacant spot in the strip next to Papa Johns.

https://www.facebook.com/PitaPitSaintJohn

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
Pita Pit Saint John posted on their Facebook page over the weekend that they will be opening over west this fall, it will be located in the final vacant spot in the strip next to Papa Johns.

https://www.facebook.com/PitaPitSaintJohn
alisdhfalsfhfdghdfglkadsfh this is the most exciting news I've read all year.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:47 AM

It's disappointing that there is no late night Pita Pit in the Uptown somewhere. I'm sure they would make a killing on weekends, as opposed to the silly drive-only ones East and West.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
No swamp on this site. It is a hill folks!
It's definitely all marshland between Sobeys and Wal-Mart, heck that's almost exactly where the pipes for Majors Brook run under the road/mall.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
It's disappointing that there is no late night Pita Pit in the Uptown somewhere. I'm sure they would make a killing on weekends, as opposed to the silly drive-only ones East and West.
I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but Fredericton's downtown PitaPit closed and moved to another part of the city! There might have been more to it, but I can only imagine how dealing with drunk people must be more trouble than they're worth in potential sales - at least some nights.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
It's definitely all marshland between Sobeys and Wal-Mart, heck that's almost exactly where the pipes for Majors Brook run under the road/mall.
I think we are talking about CAA and Eastpoint??
No swamp here! Like I said.....this is on the hill!

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but Fredericton's downtown PitaPit closed and moved to another part of the city! There might have been more to it, but I can only imagine how dealing with drunk people must be more trouble than they're worth in potential sales - at least some nights.
It didn't move. I think the downtown franchisee was a different person than the one that owns the the northside and uptown locations. There's still a pita place there, it just isn't a Pita Pit.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
I believe the underground/above ground discussion was about the crossing of Westmorland Rd between McAllister & Wal-Mart.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
What would be the point in building an underground pedestrian tunnel between the CAA building an Eastpoint? Easier access for CAA employees to get their morning Starbucks?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
It didn't move. I think the downtown franchisee was a different person than the one that owns the the northside and uptown locations. There's still a pita place there, it just isn't a Pita Pit.
I seem to recollect that the owner did not wish to pay the franchise fee so he closed shop for a couple of days then reopened under a "generic" name. Same food though....just not called Pita Pit anymore. Freddy still has 2 other PP's....north and south sides

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:11 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Kwajo was right, there were two parts to my thinking. A road realignment at CAA, and a bridge/tunnel around the Sobeys-Walmart area.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:

In my opinion what is needed is a direct link to the thruway from Westmorland Road at East Point or McAllister Drive.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:49 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker View Post
In my opinion what is needed is a direct link to the thruway from Westmorland Road at East Point or McAllister Drive.
I think that someday, the road to Eastpoint is supposed to be aligned with the highway exit. Seeing how long it took for the Mile One interchange to see a shovel, this could be a far off project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces