HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:05 PM

Atlanta Business Chronicle just posted two articles with better pictures of the two proposals.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:11 PM

Renderings from DRC

I am pleased with what I have seen so far from the renderings.

The 903 tower looks bigger than I imagined - almost like two back-to-back towers. I also like the stepped back surfaces and materials (from what I can tell so far), almost reminds me of the SLS proposal - .

The student tower looks a little smaller than I had imagined - but still nice surface treatment. I like the fact that it differs from the other student towers.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
SmartAlone post this on the other thread^^

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:20 PM

Also, CA Ventures said they would be back in November with edits. Not sure if they'll be presenting it again to the DRC or not.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dare I say the podium doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would? I like that it's glass and not stucco or some other cheap material. It blends in with the building fairly well.
I agree with this. This proposal is about as nice as I was hoping for and the paring deck isn't as terrible as I was anticipating. I will say this, hopefully they have a second pool on the rooftop and not just on the parking podium. Parking podium pools are just meh.

As per Metropolis, I have no sympathy for them, it's just a part of progress. Eastern views are the most likely to be retained the closer they are to Juniper, but a view is not a right.

The student housing project looks like a pixelated lilli. I dig it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

EDIT: And I can see why the folks in Metropolis are angry....these wide towers just destroy views....why can't we get tall and slim towers like most cities? There's gotta be something in the zoning for literally every developer to go for wide towers because it doesn't make sense why developers do slim towers in other cities and wide towers in Midtown Atlanta.
I have no sympathy for someone ignorantly thinking their views are somehow protected at Metropolis.

Also, the reason why taller/slimmer towers are being built in "some" cities is more out of necessity in denser urban cities than the desire to protect views. Outside of a few dense, urban metropolises around the globe most of the "skinny-tall" high-rises aren't being built in less-dense urban areas (like Atlanta, LA, or even Miami) because the economics just doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:30 PM

This is says spring street (despite the URL and being in the 903 peachtree article), so i assume this is the student housing project retail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
One more:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
This is says spring street (despite the URL and being in the 903 peachtree article), so i assume this is the student housing project retail:
The ABC updated with another article for the Student Housing project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...look-like.html

Quote:
The design of a planned 27-story tower by Georgia Tech, one of the nation’s top engineering schools, will be inspired by a circuit board, its development team said Tuesday night.
A little cliché, much?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:34 PM

Yes, that's the Spring & 3rd proposal along Spring St looking east I do believe.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
A little cliché, much?
Maybe, but I feel it's stuff like this that will start to up Atlanta's architecture game and make it a more established/recognizable item that highlights the area's strengths. I find it something to be proud of.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:04 PM

A permit was filed today for consolidation of the parcels involved in Cousins West Peachtree Tower between 7th and 8th Streets. It is nice to see some visible movement on this one.

Quote:
The lots above are proposed to be consolidated in order to allow for the development as approved under SAP-18-133. 887 and 889 West Peachtree and 18 7th Street
https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

(The quoted summary cites the wrong SAP. It is actually SAP-18-086 for 901 West Peachtree.)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The ABC updated with another article for the Student Housing project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...look-like.html

A little cliché, much?
Very Abstracted-- Nice Design-- Just forget they said that you will like it better ;-)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Another tidbit from the Midtown DRC meeting is that apparently there is going to be a food hall on the northwest corner of 8th and Peachtree where the FDA building is now. No further details were shared, so not sure if this will be standalone or part of a larger redevelopment.
This was posted here at some point as the proposed re-development of the FDA building: https://i.imgur.com/okzToNo.jpg

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
A permit was filed today for consolidation of the parcels involved in Cousins West Peachtree Tower between 7th and 8th Streets. It is nice to see some visible movement on this one.

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

(The quoted summary cites the wrong SAP. It is actually SAP-18-086 for 901 West Peachtree.)
So the site will only include 1/3 of the block? It doesn't seem like a big enough lot for a large office tower. I would have thought 22 and 28 7th st. and 21 and 27 8th st (in red bellow) would be needed to make the lot big enough.

sorry google maps is so out of date.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
So the site will only include 1/3 of the block? It doesn't seem like a big enough lot for a large office tower. I would have thought 22 and 28 7th st. and 21 and 27 8th st (in red bellow) would be needed to make the lot big enough.
sorry google maps is so out of date.
Yes, it is a relatively small site. It all fits between West Peachtree and the existing alley that runs the length of the block north to south. The alley will remain open and active as it is a primary ingress & egress for some of the other properties immediately to its east.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:41 PM

October DRC Recap

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...2018-drc-recap

Quote:
699 Spring Street (Spring St @ 3rd St.)

CA Ventures previewed a student orientated residential project at the southeast corner of 3rd Street and Spring Street. The building would be 27 stories in height with 9,400 SF retail uses over two separate retail spaces accessible from Spring St. and 3rd St. A common lobby for residential access is provided along Spring St. Above grade are six (6) levels of podium parking with ~315 parking spaces topped by 19 stories with 320 units (715 beds) marketed to students.

The project locates both vehicular and loading access from a shared drive along 3rd St. The committee appreciated the efforts in the exterior design evoking a ‘printed circuit’ as a distinctive addition to the Midtown skyline along with the wrapping of the parking deck with residential units so that no exposed parking podium is facing any street. The DRC recommends dedicating parking spaces for the retail component and required a delineated min. 4’ wide pedestrian path from these spaces to 3rd St. to readily access the retail uses. Refinement of this plan will be presented at the next DRC meeting.
Quote:
903 Peachtree Street

CA Ventures also proposed a new 32-story mixed-use project with market-rate residential for the southeast intersection of Peachtree St. and 8th St. known as 903 Peachtree. At grade 12,000 SF of retail uses would be accessible from Peachtree St. while a residential lobby is provided along 8th St.

There would be eight (8) levels of podium parking with ~549 parking spaces topped by 23 residential stories with 417 units. The project proposes separate loading and vehicular access from two drives along 8th St. including a small motor court. The DRC applauded the design team in their striking design and eloquent handling of the exterior design podium parking with a glass and panel system. The committee recommended that the design of the motor court and ‘back-of-house’ area be reconsidered to provide better and safer pedestrian access to both the retailers and 8th St. sidewalk including a lay-by for pick-up and drop off. Also, further details on the south and east facades are necessary due to the context of the nearby existing buildings. The applicant committed to examining these items for the next meeting in November.

Quote:
1084 Piedmont Avenue

Freeman Partners displayed a new 7-story residential condo development with up to 29 units at a total of 42,220 SF. The lobby entrance is located on Piedmont Ave. Parking is provided via a bi-level deck with 40 spaces accessible from 12th St. Open space is found primarily on the 6th level terrace of ~3,400 SF. The DRC wondered aloud whether a building of this bulk would be appropriate on this site in that it was seeking relief in both setbacks and height. Unequivocally, the committee indicated that the 50’ height maximum, as specified in the code, would not be waived and that non-active (parking) uses would not be supported along the sidewalk level for the length of 14th St. and Piedmont Ave. Instead, the DRC encouraged the applicant to explore limited retail space that could allow for a reduction in parking minimums. Unless substantial changes were made to reduce the height and provide more active uses (whether residential or commercial), this project cannot be supported in its current form.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:15 PM

That piedmont proposal is better than I anticipated. Instead of being an exposed podium it could be wrapped retail. Ensure the facade is brick and glsss and this would be a great addition despite its height. That said, I disagree with the DRC and find the height to be fitting of its location.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
That piedmont proposal is better than I anticipated. Instead of being an exposed podium it could be wrapped retail. Ensure the facade is brick and glsss and this would be a great addition despite its height. That said, I disagree with the DRC and find the height to be fitting of its location.
I would imagine that with the number of proposed units and the limited size lot they would need any potential retail space for parking spots to accommodate residents (see Piedmont Crest). Perhaps they'll reduce the number of units to accommodate the reduction of parking due to retail.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturner39 View Post
All these pictures are mine. I've never posted pics before, so hopefully I did this right.

903 Peachtree:
https://imgur.com/gkdaWjg

https://imgur.com/lVAbyyt

https://imgur.com/YV4okE6

3rd & Spring:
https://imgur.com/xQ3Ogrk

https://imgur.com/OVFtJnq
Thanks! Very nice proposals.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:35 AM

Really like both CA proposals. Hope they happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations