HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:15 AM

Not new development, but not every day that you see an 18,000 SF building moved.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46736830...er-interchange

Quote:
Talk about an oversized load.

Crews worked to slowly move an entire 18,000-square-foot dental office building from one side of a parking lot to the other on Tuesday. The move is in preparation for construction of a new Bangerter Highway interchange that will soon be located close to where the building was before.

The foundation of Osborne Dental, located at 3630 W. South Jordan Parkway, was lifted up on beams and moved to make room for the highway’s south off-ramp at 10400 South. The interchange will be akin to a freeway interchange, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.

UDOT is planning similar Bangerter interchanges at 6200 South in Taylorsville and 12600 South in Riverton, as well.

In regards to 10400 South interchange, there were two buildings in the way of the plans, according to UDOT spokesman John Gleason. UDOT bought those buildings to demolish and make room for the interchange; however, the agency reached an agreement with Dr. Bret Osborne, one of the building owners, who was able to repurchase the building if he had it moved.

"The bottom line is it’s saving time, it’s saving money, and all of this material back behind me, as part of the building, doesn’t end up in the landfill. And so it’s a creative, innovative solution where everybody is a winner," Gleason said in a UDOT video while standing outside the South Jordan building. "We’re really proud to be a part of this solution."

Osborne said he was able to find a Pennsylvania-based company with experience moving buildings, which eased his concerns that the building could crack or topple over during the moving process. Those fears worsened when a 5.7 magnitude earthquake rocked the Wasatch Front on March 18, which was after the building had been lifted off its foundation. But the building survived the quake just fine.

Overall, Osborne was happy to reach an agreement to save the structure. "We were able to save a relatively new beautiful building and move it to a location nearby," he said.

With COVID-19 concerns messing with business models across the state and country, Osborne added he’s not entirely sure when Osborne Dental will reopen. That said, he’s happy that the timeline for it to reopen was expedited because the building was moved.

Construction of all three interchanges is set to begin this summer and be completed by the end of next year. Gleason explained the process is being done as UDOT tries to make Bangerter Highway "more freeway-like."

"We want to make it more efficient, to where they’re going quicker, and we want to make it safer," he said. "Any time you can take out a traffic signal, that’s going to improve safety because it takes out that conflict point."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 4:27 PM

Anyone heard anything on this project lately? The developer is someone to be taken seriously, so I'm wondering if it had managed to be financed before the outbreak, or if it will be postponed for a while.

Central Metro - The Summitt at the Cairns

Construction Beginning 2020
- Interstate 15 visibility
- 350,000 sf Class A Office
- 250 room High End Hotel
- Roof Top Restaurant
- 250 Multi-Family Units

https://www.raddondevelopment.com/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:12 AM

Alta Town Center

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:14 AM

Blue Sky Lodge

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:32 PM

The Summit at Cairns projectis supposed to start construction this year. At least that is what it says on the Raddon Development website. I really hope this project gets completed. I live just like three blocks away from there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:44 PM

There hasn't been any significant developments in West Jordan for awhile. However, I heard that ground will be broken on Copper Rim this quarter. Copper Rim is supposed to have some pretty good sized MFR and some nice commercial space. Also, I saw some renderings on BVD, Inc. of the next phase of the Jordan Valley Station Develpoment. The plans call for some 5+ story office buildings, and the whole development looks like it will be surprisingly dense for anywhere outside of Downtown SL or Sandy. I dont know if anyone else has been following that develpoment, but it is actually a pretty well developed project. It is going to be very walkable, with ground floor retail space, as well as mixed use commercial and office buildings. Also in West Jordan, the Wood Family, which owns a large ranch on the west end of the city, has proposed a large mixed use development that will span over 500 acres. There will be mixes of reseidential developments, as well as office, retail and commercial. The majority of the project looks mostly suburban, but it will include several "urban village" centers that will have high density housing and other uses. In the document they submitted to the city, they said pedestrian friendliness would be a very important factor. In those mixed use zones, there would be a maximum setback of 10 feet from the street, and all buildings in those zones would require there to be street interaction. I think the most interesting factor in this project is the fact that they will be setting aside land along railway right-of-ways for the future development of light rail. They specifically said that they wanted there to be development along rail lines. With this and projects like Copper Rim and Olympia Hills, it looks like there might actually be some fairly well designed high density centers in the western portion of the county. Fingers Crossed. I live in the western half of the county, and I'd really like to see some more high density development over here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:49 PM

I know that most of us dont comment on this thread very often, so it might be a few days before I come back on. If any of you guys have any information regarding projects inWest Jordan, could you post it? I know West Jordan is pretty much the most suburban city in SL county, so there usually isn't much going on, but if you guys hear about anyhtiong, let me know. I'd really like a reason to keep living here, but there isn't much as of yet to keep me, if you know what I mean.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:04 PM

Sounds very promising. I think the West and South Jordan areas are going to become a very attractive area over the next ten years. Just need to keep the transportation needs up to speed with the hyper development.
I guess this is the area your describing at Jordan Station being developed by Boulder Ventures Development. I see that these are the same people who did some pretty cool work in Sugar House.
It took me a visit to their website to remember who they are. It's been a while since we've talked about them.

Jordan Valley Station - https://bvdincorp.com/portfolio-item...2C16%2C15%2C17

https://bvdincorp.com/wp-content/upl...Station-10.jpg

https://bvdincorp.com/wp-content/upl...-Station-1.jpg

https://bvdincorp.com/wp-content/upl...-Station-5.jpg

UPPER WEST is a modern, multifamily community being constructed in Jordan Valley Station, a 40-acre master-planned, transit-oriented development less than 20 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City in West Jordan, Utah.
Its ultra-sleek design offers luxury finishes coupled with extraordinary community amenities. The luxury resort-inspired Courtyard pool and spa are adjacent to relaxing indoor community areas. A covered deck on the rooftop
spans the corner of the top floor and is designed to offer year-round enjoyment. It features magnificent views of the Wasatch Mountains, intimate fire pit and gathering areas. This remarkable community allows residents to
stylishly live where their lives are.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 7:27 PM

There are backhoes excavating on the site of the Boyer Office Building proposal on State street and roughly 2150 South (immediately to the south of the new townhomes and Winco). Anyone know if that's an official start to construction?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 7:42 PM

SSL - Boyer Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
There are backhoes excavating on the site of the Boyer Office Building proposal on State street and roughly 2150 South (immediately to the south of the new townhomes and Winco). Anyone know if that's an official start to construction?
No new construction yet. From what I've heard, current work is environmental remediation; the backhoes are removing old underground tanks.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
less than 20 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City in West Jordan, Utah.
That is a very uh....optimistic commute time there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 11:55 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbash View Post
The Summit at Cairns projectis supposed to start construction this year. At least that is what it says on the Raddon Development website. I really hope this project gets completed. I live just like three blocks away from there.
So I did some digging on this and I found that they did get an approval from the Sandy City Council back in April 2019. However, I don't think they've presented anything to the Sandy Planning Commission yet, which I think means they can't start construction right now.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:20 AM
Space Magi

In addition to the Summit, here are some renderings from a Sandy Planning Commission meeting back in May 2019 of the nearby Centennial Towers project. The planned development has three (!) towers: a 12-story residential tower, a 15-story office tower, and a 17-story hotel tower, as well as a big parking garage and a block of townhomes. This preliminary site plan was approved.

Here are the renderings from the video:

Right now, I think its safe to say that Sandy is making the strongest play to have the "second downtown" of the Salt Lake Valley.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 2:11 AM

Sandy has proposed major projects and skyscrapers before and delivered exactly never. So I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:01 PM

Prison Site Redevelopment - Point of Mountain

I just stumbled upon this...someone please post the images.

https://www.hok.com/projects/view/po...ter-plan-utah/

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I just stumbled upon this...someone please post the images.

https://www.hok.com/projects/view/po...ter-plan-utah/
Wow, full on impressed with their lack of imagination and density. With the push for Trax and FrontRunner, you would expect that there would be more transit orientation and less focus on personal vehicles.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:46 PM

I'm actually quite impressed. I think they have really tried to emphasize the transit here. I also like how they are not showing any highrises and no single family homes. It's walkable and well-connected.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:45 AM

Magna MasterPlan

Here's another masterplan I stumbled upon today:

https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstrea...=1&isAllowed=y

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:54 AM

From this image, the purple area is the best transit area. This is good but my problem with this is that this route is primarily residential with only minimal mixed use areas. The area on the east side, between the Orange and I-15 is the high intensity commercial area.

I think it would be better to swap or at least intermingle this in the area between the purple and orange areas. This would reduce the need for so many parking garages which could then be utilized as green space or as additional development areas.

I do like the plan better than some others that I have heard about but I do think that they should work to increase the density and intensity along the Purple section and lessen it in other areas if they are worried about the total overall amounts.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:09 AM
Space Magi

I'm honestly not looking forward to the Point of the Mountain sapping development potential from downtown. I've seen rhetoric about it helping to "shift the center of mass southward" and "being the new downtown," and that sort of rubs me the wrong way. It could end up being a "rising tide lifts all boats" type of deal but I'm not so sure that will be the case. Utah still doesn't really have a lot of national recognition, although that seems to be changing slowly.

The plan itself looks fine but it's nothing groundbreaking, IMO. There is a metric ton of parking lots/garages in the plan and, while those ground-level renderings are made to look very cosmopolitan, inter-modal, and urban the aerial renders scream "large suburban office park" to me. Come to think of it, the ground-level renderings seem to have entirely different designs/heights compared to the aerial ones. They look like different iterations of the plan to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West