HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:26 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Well......I bit the bullet!

I ask you all, how does one mess up a grilled cheese sandwich? Somehow it tasted like mold dumped in an 80 year old grease trap (and even that is way to generous!). Never again!

You are one brave fella lol.

Inside-Out Grilled Cheese Sandwich...try it.

We make a grill cheese at home with sour dough. Old fort cheese inside and outside.

https://youtu.be/BlTCkNkfmRY

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:31 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Yeah, I heard about that. I hope they come up to Ontario, they sound tasty. While it’s not fast food (chain resto) State & Main makes a fairly decent Bison Burger.
A&W is the best fast food chain in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
A&W is the best fast food chain in Canada.
Agreed, not much contest.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:03 PM

A & W likes to play up the "quality" angle but I'm really not sure what sets them apart from the McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's type places. I can't imagine that A & W is using some kind of super high grade beef for cheap fast food burgers...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A & W likes to play up the "quality" angle but I'm really not sure what sets them apart from the McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's type places. I can't imagine that A & W is using some kind of super high grade beef for cheap fast food burgers...
Not sure about the burgers (however I do know they taste much better) but their breakfasts are in a different league compared to the competition. Pretty much the only fast food chain where one can get a “real” breakfast.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:17 PM
recession proof

Copper Branch is the best fast food chain in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Not sure about the burgers (however I do know they taste much better) but their breakfasts are in a different league compared to the competition. Pretty much the only fast food chain where one can get a “real” breakfast.
I have to plead ignorance here as I almost never eat out for breakfast. I don't find A & W's burgers to be much different in terms of taste... I mean, they're a bit different, but every place has its distinguishing characteristics. The one thing I'll give them are presentation points, they are really good at offering up a nice looking product unlike, say, the squashed looking burgers you inevitably get at Burger King.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:35 PM
Registered Drug User

The meat in A&W burgers has a sodium-intensive taste that I don't like. If I'm in the mood for a fast food burger I go to Wendy's.

The extra cost of the "gourmet" burger chains that have popped up all over the place doesn't really seem worth it to me either, though the unique toppings can be nice.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The meat in A&W burgers has a sodium-intensive taste that I don't like. If I'm in the mood for a fast food burger I go to Wendy's.

The extra cost of the "gourmet" burger chains that have popped up all over the place doesn't really seem worth it to me either, though the unique toppings can be nice.
You can ask for no seasoning salt on your burger at A&W and tone it down quite a bit.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
I have to plead ignorance here as I almost never eat out for breakfast. I don't find A & W's burgers to be much different in terms of taste... I mean, they're a bit different, but every place has its distinguishing characteristics. The one thing I'll give them are presentation points, they are really good at offering up a nice looking product unlike, say, the squashed looking burgers you inevitably get at Burger King.
From my experience, the buns are fresh, as are the veggies. They have things like grilled onions on their basic burgers.

I do like the seasoning salt too.

My current fav. franchise burger is Five Guys. But when I think about A&W vs. McDonald's, there's no competition. Wendy's is somewhere in the middle IMO.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenc12 View Post
from my experience, the buns are fresh, as are the veggies. They have things like grilled onions on their basic burgers.

I do like the seasoning salt too.

my current fav. Franchise burger is five guys. But when i think about a&w vs. Mcdonald's, there's no competition. Wendy's is somewhere in the middle imo.
+1

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:

The worst of that lot has to be “The Works”!

20 bucks for a lousy frozen patty that takes 50 minutes to make and makes you feel like shit afterwards .

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:52 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
My current fav. franchise burger is Five Guys.
I tried them once, but I don't get it. The patties seemed thin and not all that flavourful. What am I missing?

Quote:
But when I think about A&W vs. McDonald's, there's no competition.
McDonald's is a mystery to me. A while ago I had a Big Mac, fries and Coke, and it was disgusting. The burger was plasticky, the fries were salty facsimiles of potatoes (and they aren't actually real, I know that), and the Coke had a caustic edge that overpowered the sweetness.

It was absolute crap. How do they stay in business?

Last edited by rousseau; Oct 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
McDonald's is a mystery to me. A while ago I had a Big Mac, fries and Coke, and it was disgusting. The burger was plasticky, the fries were salty facsimiles of potatoes (and they're aren't actually real, I know that), and the Coke had a caustic edge that overpowered the sweetness.

1. Cheap
2. Plentiful
3. Most people don't care beyond that

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I tried them once, but I don't get it. The patties seemed thin and not all that flavourful. What am I missing?
Toppings and freshness probably. Meat is meat when it comes down to it, pure ground beef doesn't change flavors a lot. Five guys has a great selection of addons.

Quote:
McDonald's is a mystery to me. A while ago I had a Big Mac, fries and Coke, and it was disgusting. The burger was plasticky, the fries were salty facsimiles of potatoes (and they're aren't actually real, I know that), and the Coke had a caustic edge that overpowered the sweetness.

Kids? Prices? Locations?

I still eat a Jr McChicken from time to time, but otherwise I agree. I had the $3 Big Mac when it was available to try it out. I agree with your assessment and the "vegetables" were awful.

They have good coffee though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:09 PM

If there wasn't something appealing to McDonalds' taste, there wouldn't be 1,400 locations in this country alone.

I mean, if popular conceptions of taste are that insignificant then open up a restaurant selling cheap Brussels sprouts to go and rake in the $$$.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
1. Cheap
2. Plentiful
3. Most people don't care beyond that
I don't think they are that cheap anymore, when something isn't on sale. Up and down the menu, I think Wendys and A&W beat them on every single thing, except maybe McChicken?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
If there wasn't something appealing to McDonalds' taste, there wouldn't be 1,400 locations in this country alone.
They are absolute masters at marketing. Their app is and continues to be the best too. And drive throughs are huge.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:12 PM
Registered Drug User

Yeah, but the price is basically the same as at the other junk food joints. Why go to McDonald's when you could go to Wendy's?

My guess is that McDonald's is so ubiquitous an institution that it's too big to fail. Stratford, where I live, has two of them. One of them is open 24 hours. We also have two Subways (one of them open 24 hours), but none of the other fast food franchises have more than one outlet here.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:18 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Meat is meat when it comes down to it, pure ground beef doesn't change flavors a lot.
Well, I guess I'm susceptible to the marketing, because the whole "Wendy's beef isn't frozen" mantra has worked on me. It may totally be the power of suggestion, but I swear that the beef in Wendy's burgers tastes the best of all of the junk food places.

I also swear that I don't work for or have any financial interest in Wendy's!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada