HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:50 PM

I love everything about this project except the unnecessary driveway at the front of the Richmond St lobby entrance, it's a huge waste of space that puts awkward pizza sliced dent in the streetscape. That space would be better suited for vibrant storefront and not idling cars.

Last edited by Oliverfox; Oct 26, 2017 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
So this development is being mention the free press article about down town parking http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/24/ri...out-of-the-mix

Is there not a simply solution for adding parking downtown? When you build a new development ask that 1-2 floors be designated to pay per use parking, all big cities have tons of parking options within residential and hotels in addition to surface lots.
I think if there is space to do that, they would. Renaissance comes to mind with a pretty large footprint. If the city wants the builders to allow a couple floors of parking, they should be allowed to make the building that much taller, which some people seem to have a problem with. And also assuming the costs of adding those floors makes financial sense for pay for use parking.

Getting off topic of this thread, but I don't know why the city thinks removing the permit for that one lot is going to spur any development. I can't imagine Farhi is wanting to run a parking lot rather than actually build a building. Not allowing him to use the lot for parking isn't going to suddenly improve the market for him to decide to build.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Getting off topic of this thread, but I don't know why the city thinks removing the permit for that one lot is going to spur any development. I can't imagine Farhi is wanting to run a parking lot rather than actually build a building. Not allowing him to use the lot for parking isn't going to suddenly improve the market for him to decide to build.
Honestly don't know what would motivate him to actually build anything. The market conditions must be good right now as housing prices have risen. Other developers have been building like crazy, but not him even though he owns a ton of land.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:56 PM

Let's be clear.

He is not a developer. He is a landlord!

He hasn't built anything. Throwing a coat of paint and new carpet into a building does not make you a developer. He is a property manager at best.

He happily sits on buildings and will lease space out or sit on parking lots and outsource their operation until such time as he gets an offer to sell them at a profit.
He will never build anything on these properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Honestly don't know what would motivate him to actually build anything. The market conditions must be good right now as housing prices have risen. Other developers have been building like crazy, but not him even though he owns a ton of land.

Last edited by jammer139; Oct 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I think if there is space to do that, they would. Renaissance comes to mind with a pretty large footprint. If the city wants the builders to allow a couple floors of parking, they should be allowed to make the building that much taller, which some people seem to have a problem with. And also assuming the costs of adding those floors makes financial sense for pay for use parking.

It should be encouraged for every downtown development to be honest, and I am sure they many money with the added construction cost.

Regarding the off topic maybe we should have a parking thread haha, so we are all on the same page Farhi is not a builder the guy claims he is a lot of things buy being an actual person who builds on land is not one of them. I think the city is trying to force the sale of the properties to be honest, if they remove the permit the income goes away for which may in turn increase the likelihood someone like Fahri would sell off the property.

Those are just my thoughts.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverfox View Post
I love everything about this project except the unnecessary driveway at the front of the Richmond St lobby entrance, it's a huge waste of space that puts awkward pizza sliced dent in the streetscape. That space would be better suited for vibrant storefront and not idling cars.
Did you look at the plans, it actually looks pretty good though I do understand your concerns. This will improve the court which already exists so I expect some stores will just shift in the core.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Did you look at the plans, it actually looks pretty good though I do understand your concerns. This will improve the court which already exists so I expect some stores will just shift in the core.
I did look and I do like them, but the lane-way for the front entrance is inappropriate and is bad urban design.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Farhi owns way too much downtown property. I have heard that he is a bullying jerk.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 6:10 PM

At least one of the business in the commercial plaza has now left. I believe they said they would all be gone by March 2018 clearing the way for the demolition and site prep.

Still curious if Old Oak will stay up at Hyde Park and start the 3rd tower in 2018 before moving their crew down to 515 Richmond St.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:58 PM

Drove by the plaza facing Richmond Street and it looks like most of the stores are moving out - I assume this is to accommodate demolition of the corner of the plaza where the tower is going to go. Looking forward to seeing this project go forward as this has good height and design and continues the momentum in this area of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:17 PM

Today's LFP article has quote they plan to start this spring on the tower. They got the building permit prior to Dec 31st to receive the development rebate.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:15 PM

The stores that will be replaced by this tower have to be out of their space by the end of this month, so I assume that demolition will come next.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:33 PM

Looks like Old Oak has moved their crane from Hype Park to the new 12s on Southdale. The crew has likely moved with it.

Does that mean they will likely not start this tower on Richmond in 2018? Or they intend to setup a new crew or bring in a company from the GTA with experience in high rise towers in tight urban spaces. The Richmond tower certainly qualifies as a logistical challenge given how tight the space is and the nearby buildings.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Looks like Old Oak has moved their crane from Hype Park to the new 12s on Southdale. The crew has likely moved with it.

Does that mean they will likely not start this tower on Richmond in 2018? Or they intend to setup a new crew or bring in a company from the GTA with experience in high rise towers in tight urban spaces. The Richmond tower certainly qualifies as a logistical challenge given how tight the space is and the nearby buildings.
I’m guessing and hoping that 515 Richmond is still a go for this year. All the ground level retail have left to prepare for demolition of the site. They wouldn’t get rid of all those tenants if they weren’t moving forward. This is a great proposal and looking forward to seeing the final product.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:50 PM

It's not totally vacant yet. Quesada and the Post Office are still running, don't recall if anything else is still there.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
It's not totally vacant yet. Quesada and the Post Office are still running, don't recall if anything else is still there.
I don’t think they are building in that spot, only the north half.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:30 PM

I think this also answers whether they are moving forward with the project:

https://twitter.com/jmfplan/status/975754399447367680

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
I think this also answers whether they are moving forward with the project:

https://twitter.com/jmfplan/status/975754399447367680
Outside of Tricar, this should be the most sure thing proposal for downtown.

Rygar is still in prove it mode, and even York is still new to residential towers (though I trust they will build)

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:50 PM

This building is going to be under construction very soon. I spoke with someone at Old Oak and it's 100% going ahead and will be completed in 2 years.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
This building is going to be under construction very soon. I spoke with someone at Old Oak and it's 100% going ahead and will be completed in 2 years.
That is great news, its nice to see them and York adding to what Tricar is already doing downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates