HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

195 Dundas Street A in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Assuming that could happen (man would I ever love that, even though OLP is pretty nice looking to me), what would be the best spot for a 150?
Site of the health unit. I think the height would be a selling point and the location would be a selling point with the forks and westerly view (for that side of the building) to pay for it. I imagine the neighbours would put up a big fight though.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 8:52 PM
Sanity merchant

I remember one woman complaining that she would lose her view.... lady, it's not your view. It's everyones. Move to the new building then.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:10 PM

Completely agree that site should in my opinion be the tallest in London, people will pay for that location. I really do not think 150m / 500ft is out of the question for that location.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Completely agree that site should in my opinion be the tallest in London, people will pay for that location. I really do not think 150m / 500ft is out of the question for that location.
I too agree about that site. This Milwaukee project has always struck me as what that site needs - tall, narrow, glass clad, and rounded. Would make a super-forward modern statement at the forks. This is just under 540 ft and is 44 stories.

Would be great to have it and another narrow one across the street (McGreggor implosion?), maybe 75 ft less and a different, but complementary design.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200541

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallerIsBetter View Post
I too agree about that site. This Milwaukee project has always struck me as what that site needs - tall, narrow, glass clad, and rounded. Would make a super-forward modern statement at the forks. This is just under 540 ft and is 44 stories.

Would be great to have it and another narrow one across the street (McGreggor implosion?), maybe 75 ft less and a different, but complementary design.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200541
That would look awesome there and like nothing else in this city.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:24 PM

https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...2018-06-20.pdf

It has a 337 number which if feet is around 100 meters (seems taller than it should be at 25 floors unless tall ceilings)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...2018-06-20.pdf

It has a 337 number which if feet is around 100 meters (seems taller than it should be at 25 floors unless tall ceilings)
First page of Appendix A shows building height of 80 metres.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:15 PM

Looks great. Taller then original tower which was 19s which is great to see.

Also smart to build this phase first given the SHIFT-F BRT plan impacts to King and Clarence intersection.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:17 PM

I imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to build this one first than try to do it with the other buildings on the corner first. For some reason, not based on anything other than my assumption, I figured the podium would be built at the same time as this building with the other 2 buildings to come later as the market and the company's finances permit.

Hopefully when the time comes to build the podium that they remember the loading zone on this building and provide access for trucks to go underneath. And probably from Clarence to get to all 3 buildings and to stay away from BRT issues on King.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:22 PM

Danforth lawsuit was dismissed and the 25s tower is likely to start in 18 months based on this LFP article.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-back-on-track

Will Old Oak be started on 515 Richmond or York be started on King St tower by then?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:27 AM

There's definitely work going on clearing out the building at 515 Richmond now, so hopefully we see demo soon.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:18 AM

Walked by the site tonight and there's an Amico construction trailer and an excavator on a chunk of the land beside the old bud gowan building

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
First page of Appendix A shows building height of 80 metres.
Actually if you add the 80.16m with the 5.5m shown for Mechanical (per the pdf) the top of this will be ~281 feet. Which would be a nice addition for the height void between Richmond and Wellington.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 8:51 PM

I suspect the equipment parked in this spot is for the next phase of the Dundas St rebuild which is supposed to start after the Juno Awards. That space was likely leased by City as the construction staging area for the work that will be happening until the Fall.

Would be nice if it was the beginning of the 25s but even in the LFP article they were 18 months away from starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
Walked by the site tonight and there's an Amico construction trailer and an excavator on a chunk of the land beside the old bud gowan building

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:51 AM
Londoner

Massive $300-million development finally poised

195 Dundas Street

Construction may begin this year, finally, on a massive, multi-tower residential development on the site of the former London Mews.

A city committee Monday approved a heritage alteration permit for 195 Dundas St., over the objections of a heritage advisory group which wanted the matter deferred for more study.

The approval may get the ball rolling on a $300-million, three tower development that has been before the city since 2014. The proposed development between Dundas and King streets at Clarence, would boast more than 600 units with parking garages on site.

“We will finally see this underway. We will finally get site plan approval and apply for a building permit,” said Greg Priamo, a partner in Zelinka-Priamo, a private planning firm representing the owner, Ayerswood Developments.

The matter before the planning and environment committee was for the first phase of the building, a $45 million, 25-storey, 140-unit tower at 195 Dundas St. The other two phases will see additional towers with about 230 and 250 units in each, built in what is now a parking lot between Dundas and King, said Priamo.

The first phase tower will be set back 30 metres from Dundas Street, with a designed area in front meant to integrate with the Dundas Place streetscape. That setback would be allowed with a heritage alteration permit.

We envision an entry to it as part of Dundas street,” said Priamo. “We worked with staff on lighting, surface, so it is a seamless extension of Dundas Place.”

The London advisory committee on heritage opposes the setback and the permit, saying it doesn’t like the gap-tooth appearance the setback will give the streetscape, and wants to see a heritage impact study as well as renderings of the streetscape, said Maggie Whalley, heritage activist and LACH representative.

“It’s not the best outcome. It would be nice to see a continuous streetscape on Dundas Street. Historically, that is what it would have looked like,” said Whalley.

The setback is needed as it is a narrow space and more room is needed for the tower, said Priamo.

“They (LACH) wanted the building to connect to Dundas Street and we could not do it. It is very narrow and we have a tall building.”

The development also was part of a $53-million lawsuit filed by Ayerswood and its owner Tony Graat against the city claiming a proposed bus rapid transit hub adjacent to the development harmed the development. The city moved the hub, one block away. The action was dismissed last year.

The heritage alteration permit still has to be approved at city council.

The committee also lifted a holding provision for the proposed tower at 131 King St. by York Developments, so it also can proceed. York also has applied for site plan approval and once granted, can begin construction. However, work already has begun on the site, clearing the area and removing asphalt for construction.

ndebono@postmedia.com

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 7:28 PM
bro

Smile

Wow, this development will be across the street from my apartment. It's hard for me to even imagine how huge of an impact this project will have on my block.

Also the last little bit about York's King St project potentially moving forward, and them already prepping and clearing the site. Exciting times for downtown right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoto View Post

The committee also lifted a holding provision for the proposed tower at 131 King St. by York Developments, so it also can proceed. York also has applied for site plan approval and once granted, can begin construction. However, work already has begun on the site, clearing the area and removing asphalt for construction.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

Fantastic to hear that more towers are going ahead in downtown London!

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:39 PM

I suspect Ayerswood will be spending the summer/fall completing the plans for the 25s tower. Getting the site plan approval and city building permit. This should allow the Dundas Street re-construction project to complete by the Fall. Then hopefully we will see excavation, tower crane and construction begin late this year. If interest is strong they should move quickly onto the next 2 towers and get them started. Hopefully they add additional levels of public parking to get extra bonus height and we see a 40s plus tower. Although the proposed 35s and 32s are still nice.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:15 PM

I found it sad that the ninny Heritage wienies found an objection to this one too. A dreaded 'gap' in streetscape - ffs.

I swear the credo for that group is:

1. All architecture that is not Victorian architecture is shite.
2. Anything taller than 3 stories is shite (4 stories is OK, IF it's Victorian architecture).

The phase of 2 & 3 this site really could support something really tall - nothing to shadow on and is a surface lot. 40 - 50 floors would be great, and could be a centrepiece for the downtown.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:29 AM

Would the heritage people be happy if Ayerswood just put up a glass wall with a 100 foot long lobby to the building entrance? I assume they don't want to put a storefront there because that would basically prevent them from having an entrance to the building from Dundas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates