HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I posted a bunch of stuff on him around page 25 of the thread. This guy has some gravitas, IIRC he was on the board of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and I likened him to a BC version of Larry Smith, who will get out in the community.
It very promising its a good start they are selling out at the 12500 capacity limit right now hopefully they can build that as their season tickets base in the winter time. I think in 2 years time lions can draw in the high twenties low thirties again just like the Bombers Elks and Riders do.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 6:25 PM

Thanks Thurmas, a good interview with Doman who comes across as a very intelligent, committed, forward thinking owner. The Lions already had a successful initiative with the special logo (maybe should make it permanent)

B.C. Lions to mark National Day for Truth and Reconciliation at Sept. 24 game
Canadian Press September 16, 2021

VANCOUVER — The B.C. Lions are trying to raise awareness about the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on Sept. 30.

The CFL team's vice-president, George Chayka, says players will wear orange tape when they face the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Vancouver at their game on Sept. 24.

He says the Roughriders will also wear orange tape to raise awareness ahead of the day established to honour survivors of Canada's residential school system.

The Lions are providing 350 tickets to survivors and their families to attend the game.

Chayka says the team is also making a $20,000 donation to the Orange Shirt Society, which was launched by survivor Phyllis Webstad in Williams Lake, B.C., in 2013.

Chayka says the team has commissioned a special orange T-shirt for the game with an Indigenous rendition of the B.C. Lions logo designed by Corinne Hunt, who co-created the medals for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games.

Premier John Horgan told a news conference on Thursday that the collaboration between the Lions, the Ending Violence Association of BC and Indigenous leaders helps mark the day of truth and reconciliation so Canadians will remember that every child matters.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 6:32 PM

I love the Lions design for those shirts^

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I love the Lions design for those shirts^
I would have no problem making that the permanent logo, not for some ephemeral BS political, SJW pandering but as a monument to indigenous peoples's history in BC. Might even be worth investigating a rotating logo to reflect the Asian and Southeast Asian heritage of BC. Oh, yeah and it's a cool looking logo as well Recent CFL logo designs are really hitting the mark (BC/Edm.Tor), a lot better than some other sports I've seen.

Last edited by elly63; Oct 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I would have no problem making that the permanent logo, not for some ephemeral BS political, SJW pandering but as a monument to indigenous peoples's history in BC. Might even be worth investigating a rotating logo to reflect the Asian and Southeast Asian heritage of BC. Oh, yeah and it's a cool looking logo as well Recent CFL logo designs are realty hitting the mark (BC/Edm.Tor), a lot better than some other sports I've seen.
The Indigenous art from that region is spectacular and lends itself well to sports... I always thought the 80s Seattle Seahawks had the best colours/logo/jerseys in football history. Just 100% top notch. The Lions could definitely draw from that source of inspiration.

Not sure if you saw the Winnipeg Blue Bombers star-blanket themed logo but I thought it was amazing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not sure if you saw the Winnipeg Blue Bombers star-blanket themed logo but I thought it was amazing.
As a part of this commitment, the club is honoured to unveil a new, star-blanket themed logo designed by local Anishinaabe artist and star blanket designer Dené Sinclair. The logo will be used during the October 8th game against the Edmonton Elks alongside an honouring ceremony.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks Thurmas, a good interview with Doman who comes across as a very intelligent, committed, forward thinking owner. The Lions already had a successful initiative with the special logo (maybe should make it permanent)

B.C. Lions to mark National Day for Truth and Reconciliation at Sept. 24 game
Canadian Press September 16, 2021

VANCOUVER — The B.C. Lions are trying to raise awareness about the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on Sept. 30.

The CFL team's vice-president, George Chayka, says players will wear orange tape when they face the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Vancouver at their game on Sept. 24.

He says the Roughriders will also wear orange tape to raise awareness ahead of the day established to honour survivors of Canada's residential school system.

The Lions are providing 350 tickets to survivors and their families to attend the game.

Chayka says the team is also making a $20,000 donation to the Orange Shirt Society, which was launched by survivor Phyllis Webstad in Williams Lake, B.C., in 2013.

Chayka says the team has commissioned a special orange T-shirt for the game with an Indigenous rendition of the B.C. Lions logo designed by Corinne Hunt, who co-created the medals for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games.

Premier John Horgan told a news conference on Thursday that the collaboration between the Lions, the Ending Violence Association of BC and Indigenous leaders helps mark the day of truth and reconciliation so Canadians will remember that every child matters.

I read the lions trademarked the old 1950s/1960s simple BC word mark as their new logo after this year. It was used on the hats in the press conference when they signed mike reilly

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 9:17 PM

this is going to be their new logo

https://www.terracestandard.com/spor...-for-new-logo/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:02 AM

My understanding is that it's not going to be the new primary logo, but their new secondary.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 1:50 PM

The NRL in Australia has an Indigenous round where all teams wear a special jersey with native-designed artwork. Of course a ton of NRL players are actually Aborigine, much more so than First Nations are represented in pro sports here, but it could a source of some inspiration on how to incorporate some of our native history.

https://www.zerotackle.com/every-nrl...jersey-104784/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
I'll tell you what Bomber not to respect. Lawler catches a pass and goes out of bounds and looks like he purposely (last second) nails a photographer, hard. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he didn't do it on purpose but he got up and took off like nothing happened. What a jerk!
I guess he's really moving up your jerk list being arrested for impaired driving.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I guess he's really moving up your jerk list being arrested for impaired driving.
Karma?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:25 PM

Yeesh. Hopefully Lawler's absence this Friday vs. Edmonton doesn't have too great of an impact on the mighty Blue Bomber juggernaut.

This week's game will be a pretty good test for the Bomber defense... despite the Elks' 2-5 record, they have a decent offensive attack including a solid ground game with James Wilder Jr.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeesh. Hopefully Lawler's absence this Friday vs. Edmonton doesn't have too great of an impact on the mighty Blue Bomber juggernaut.

This week's game will be a pretty good test for the Bomber defense... despite the Elks' 2-5 record, they have a decent offensive attack including a solid ground game with James Wilder Jr.
The way the Elks are playing, he won't be missed in your lineup. Winnipeg is such a complete team right now.

We suck right now, plain and simple.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
The way the Elks are playing, he won't be missed in your lineup. Winnipeg is such a complete team right now. We suck right now, plain and simple.
I haven't been following it too closely but to me the name change seems to have been quite seamless. I definitely was in the "not for it" camp but the new name seems like a natural and not forced. What are the team followers saying?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:14 PM

Bombers have a chance to win the west division title and host their first west final since 1972. Bouncing around the east for so many times obviously played a part in that.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:25 PM

nm

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bombers have a chance to win the west division title and host their first west final since 1972. Bouncing around the east for so many times obviously played a part in that.
Smack Heroin!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:30 PM

They wrote a book in Winnipeg recently on the early 70s Don Jonas era for the Bombers on how he saved the team after the Bud Grant era ended and the team was in the league basement close to bankruptcy. Jonas sold out Winnipeg Stadium every game and got the upper deck expansion built due to his popularity in the 70s

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:48 PM

Yeah, Don Jonas was a big deal back in the day. Something reminded me that he played in the Atlantic Coast Football League along with the infamous Jim "King" Corcoran who achieved great fame as "The Poor Man's Joe Namath"

My sister is friends with a couple where the husband was a former football player. He went to the Alouettes and Rough Riders camps where he tried out with Ottawa OL Bob McKeown of Fifth Estate fame and QB Jim "King" Corcoran of the Als who he described as both being nice guys. Corcoran I believe, he said, showed up in a limo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada