Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:48 PM
Community Guy

What in the...

WAKE UP EDMONTON

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:36 AM
Community Guy

A fun game to watch, albeit frustrating (especially that special teams squad).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 4:08 AM

Redblacks ruined my night, I came into the night wanting to hate everything...

Both young QBs looked great tonight Evans just won the turnover battle.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:56 PM

Was at the game last night. All the RB fans around me were shocked (me included)! We were all hoping for a 1st down on the first drive! LOL!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:01 PM
Community Guy

Haha... that would have been fun to be at.

Curious - what percentage of fans would have been visibly Elks fans or cheering for them? Always curious out east.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Curious - what percentage of fans would have been visibly Elks fans or cheering for them? Always curious out east.
Knowing the kind of town Ottawa is with people coming there from all over the country for work and school, I would imagine that there must always be a sizable contingent cheering for the away team.

On a related note, I can tell you that in Winnipeg, Sask is the only away team that gets significant numbers of away fans. Then it drops off after that... Calgary, Edmonton are next but it's usually a fairly small number. Ottawa, BC, Hamilton have tiny handful of fans, Toronto will have like one guy in an Argos jersey cheering for them, but Montreal never seems to have anyone. Which is the total opposite of Jets games vs. Montreal where half the rink is cheering for the Habs

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:46 PM

Going to RB games over the past 7 seasons, it's a bit difficult to judge other teams fans in the stands as for the first 5 season every game was a sell out with 75% of that being season ticket holders. Obviously Sask has the biggest draw but I wouldn't say it would be more than 750-1K fans. Then it would be Hamilton and Als getting around 500 with the Argos getting a bit less as fans of the league would have cheered for one team while there wasn't a team in Ottawa. EDM, CAL, WPG maybe a few hundred and BC probably a handful. When away fans sit in one section is when you tend to really notice them

Far removed from the Renegades days where Als fans would literally come by multiple bus loads as tickets for the Als in the early to mid 2000's were almost impossible to get.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:30 PM

Another big game in BC tonight. Too bad the Lions lost last week, otherwise it would have a bigger effect on the standings.

All I know is I'll be watching!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

I saw about 10 elks jersey's/other swag as I wandered about the stadium

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Knowing the kind of town Ottawa is with people coming there from all over the country for work and school, I would imagine that there must always be a sizable contingent cheering for the away team.

On a related note, I can tell you that in Winnipeg, Sask is the only away team that gets significant numbers of away fans. Then it drops off after that... Calgary, Edmonton are next but it's usually a fairly small number. Ottawa, BC, Hamilton have tiny handful of fans, Toronto will have like one guy in an Argos jersey cheering for them, but Montreal never seems to have anyone. Which is the total opposite of Jets games vs. Montreal where half the rink is cheering for the Habs
Not football related, but I went to a Jets/Senators game a couple of years ago. Didn't think there were THAT many Manitobans working in Ottawa. I'd say it was 30% Jets - 70% Sens fans. The rink was only about 65% full though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:14 PM

I'm coming off a nasty cold so I just hope I can stay awake for tonight's late west coast game. The Lions are coming off a loss but they have an impressive pass attack that has to be taken seriously, they will definitely put the Bomber secondary to the test. I hope the Big Blue LBs are ready for a long night of running around in the backfield providing some support.

The Bombers have Janarion Grant back in the lineup to do return duty so hopefully that will help out in a position that they've been deficient in. Also hoping to see at least a modicum of progress on the field goal/convert front.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Not football related, but I went to a Jets/Senators game a couple of years ago. Didn't think there were THAT many Manitobans working in Ottawa. I'd say it was 30% Jets - 70% Sens fans. The rink was only about 65% full though.
The Jets were a very tough ticket for the first five years or so and I'm guessing a lot of fans didn't pass on chances to see them on the road. I suspect that novelty has probably faded a bit so probably fewer Jets fans in attendance at road games in general, but kind of like with the Riders there is enough of a diaspora that you'll have a contingent of fans at probably every road game they play in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
there is enough of a diaspora that you'll have a contingent of fans at probably every road game they play in Canada.
RIP

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 1:28 PM

Bombers absolutely demolish BC 30 to 9. Collaros best game of the season for him over 400 yards passing and 2 TDs. He should be in serious consideration for league MOP right now a real field general just gets the job done.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bombers absolutely demolish BC 30 to 9. Collaros best game of the season for him over 400 yards passing and 2 TDs. He should be in serious consideration for league MOP right now a real field general just gets the job done.
He deserves more respect IMO, I have heard people being dismissive of Collaros as though all he does is act as the middleman handing off snaps to Harris or whatever. The guy has been throwing insane stretch passes into tight coverage all season long... obviously it helps having skilled receivers, but these are the kinds of plays we haven't been seeing around here since Kevin Glenn was in his prime, or maybe even going back to Khari Jones.

But that said, the defence holding BC to 9 points (and no TDs) tells you everything you need to know about the Bombers right there. They are just getting it done. We even got field goals last night! This team is ROLLING!!!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 9:00 PM

Collaros really in his prime now he has a very good arm very accurate he knows when to scramble and when to sit back i would say his style is similar to Russell Wilson.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 9:33 PM

I'll tell you what Bomber not to respect. Lawler catches a pass and goes out of bounds and looks like he purposely (last second) nails a photographer, hard. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he didn't do it on purpose but he got up and took off like nothing happened. What a jerk!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 2:23 PM

Bo Levi injured again in the 4th quarter against the Riders yesterday. Not sure I have ever seen one of the leagues most elite qbs of the past decade crumble so quickly ever since the 2019 playoff loss to the Bombers and is still a shell of his former self and he's not even an old qb yet.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 4:25 PM

I really like this interview below that the new BC Lions owner Amar Doman did on the Rod Pedersen show and I think he will really regrow the fan base in BC. He realizes it has to start with youth football and the grass roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpiYKllXv4

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I really like this interview below that the new BC Lions owner Amar Doman did on the Rod Pedersen show and I think he will really regrow the fan base in BC. He realizes it has to start with youth football and the grass roots.
I posted a bunch of stuff on him around page 25 of the thread. This guy has some gravitas, IIRC he was on the board of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and I likened him to a BC version of Larry Smith, who will get out in the community.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada