HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Argonauts so far are what 3-3 on the season...2nd in the East division...I definitely do not believe in this team but who knows maybe they will prove me wrong but I doubt it
All six of the CFL.ca writers on the prediction panel chose Montreal to win this week which I don't think makes sense... the Argos aren't bad and I respect them after watching them beat the Bombers last month.

But that said not a single one of the prediction panel is even at .500 so I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say anyway

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Can someone please tell Ottawa to install better/more lighting in their new stadium - thanks

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Can someone please tell Ottawa to install better/more lighting in their new stadium - thanks
And find a decent QB while they're at it...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
The lighting is actually fine when you're at the stadium in person.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The lighting is actually fine when you're at the stadium in person.
Funny, because TD Place always looked pretty dark on TV to my eyes too, at least relative to the other CFL stadiums. Which is odd given that it's a partially new venue.

What a disaster of a game for the RBs last night... I didn't see it but I certainly heard about it. It looks like after their impressive start in 2014, the Redblacks have finally descended into the depths.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Funny, because TD Place always looked pretty dark on TV to my eyes too, at least relative to the other CFL stadiums. Which is odd given that it's a partially new venue.

What a disaster of a game for the RBs last night... I didn't see it but I certainly heard about it. It looks like after their impressive start in 2014, the Redblacks have finally descended into the depths.
Yeah imagine if you actually paid 50 bucks to watch that in person!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 7:09 PM

No aspect of Ottawa's team (aside from the kickers) is any good, at all. This isn't even a joke, if the Redblacks were to punt the ball on every 1st down of the game last night, it would have been a closer score. Their D at least showed up, but that isn't really saying much as Hamilton wasn't too convincing last night playing their 3rd QB with 5 days rest.

This is bad in Ottawa. They are now 2 seasons in on being not only bad, but the laughing stock of the league and are inching to becoming irrelevant in the city. Imagine... The owners waiting nearly a decade to get the team on the field, building all the goodwill from 2014-2018 with 3 Grey Cup appearances and winning one, and loosing it all. I was expecting to wake up this morning hearing Marcel Desjardins had been fired.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 7:18 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
No aspect of Ottawa's team (aside from the kickers) is any good, at all. This isn't even a joke, if the Redblacks were to punt the ball on every 1st down of the game last night, it would have been a closer score. Their D at least showed up, but that isn't really saying much as Hamilton wasn't too convincing last night playing their 3rd QB with 5 days rest.

This is bad in Ottawa. They are now 2 seasons in on being not only bad, but the laughing stock of the league and are inching to becoming irrelevant in the city. Imagine... The owners waiting nearly a decade to get the team on the field, building all the goodwill from 2014-2018 with 3 Grey Cup appearances and winning one, and loosing it all. I was expecting to wake up this morning hearing Marcel Desjardins had been fired.
Meh, when Ottawa can put together a string of seasons like Saskatchewan, then you can talk about irrelevancy.

Code:
1978	1978	CFL	West	5th	4	11	1	
1979	1979	CFL	West	5th	2	14	0	
1980	1980	CFL	West	5th	2	14	0	
1981	1981	CFL	West	4th	9	7	0	
1982	1982	CFL	West	5th	6	9	1	
1983	1983	CFL	West	5th	5	11	0	
1984	1984	CFL	West	4th	6	9	1	
1985	1985	CFL	West	4th	5	11	0	
1986	1986	CFL	West	5th	6	11	1	
1987	1987	CFL	West	4th	5	12	1	

1998	1998	CFL	West	4th	5	13	0	
1999	1999	CFL	West	4th	3	15	0	
2000	2000	CFL	West	4th	5	12	1	
2001	2001	CFL	West	4th	6	12	0

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 7:22 PM

^ No doubt they sucked. But they are one of three sports franchises in the country (the others being the leafs and habs) that can sustain several years of uselessness without impacting attendance by a large margin.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 7:53 PM
arf

Quote:
^ No doubt they sucked. But they are one of three sports franchises in the country (the others being the leafs and habs) that can sustain several years of uselessness without impacting attendance by a large margin.
Fairly true. Attendance has dipped occasionally since 1975, 1986 and 1999 stand out because it dropped below 20,000. But this is a community owned team and attendance is everything or at least was prior to selling every knickknack and food item you can think of branded with the logo. There was talk of the team folding in the 1990s and there was even a telethon to raise funds for the team. Then a savior came to town. The NFL, who gave every CFL team $500,000.

Saving the Roughriders: Throwback Thursday from CBC News archives

I don't believe a World Classic Bowl game ever actually occurred.

The Riders really turned around when we finally rid ourselves of Alan Ford and Shivers turned around the franchise financially and running it like a marketing company came into fashion.

We're going to learn a lot about the CFL West tomorrow when Saskatchewan plays at BC. Outside of a couple of quarters, Saskatchewan has looked very meh and very beatable. We'll see if the defense is actually okay or if the second half in that first game against BC is more indicative of how we look against the better teams.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:33 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I was expecting to wake up this morning hearing Marcel Desjardins had been fired.
He should be. The decision to go with Nichols over Arbuckle alone should have signaled he was past his best before date. LaPolice may have wanted that, but the GM can say "No, and here's why"

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
He should be. The decision to go with Nichols over Arbuckle alone should have signaled he was past his best before date. LaPolice may have wanted that, but the GM can say "No, and here's why"
Baffles me too. Nichols is a career back-up, not a starter in this league.

If the Ottawa ownership group is smart, I throw some $$$ at Chris Jones this offseason after letting Marcel go. He can be the HC and let him make some personnel decisions too. He has tons of connections Stateside that will help get some good players up here.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 3:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Baffles me too. Nichols is a career back-up, not a starter in this league.

If the Ottawa ownership group is smart, I throw some $$$ at Chris Jones this offseason after letting Marcel go. He can be the HC and let him make some personnel decisions too. He has tons of connections Stateside that will help get some good players up here.
He had a good run for a while with Winnipeg, but he's clearly a beat-up wreck now.

Ottawa does need new people in management. I'm going to guess Jones will be offered something to stay in Toronto though.

Maybe it's about time for Kent Austin to make another return to the CFL?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
He had a good run for a while with Winnipeg, but he's clearly a beat-up wreck now.

Ottawa does need new people in management. I'm going to guess Jones will be offered something to stay in Toronto though.

Maybe it's about time for Kent Austin to make another return to the CFL?
Haha! I think Austin is happy coaching in the NCAA.

I don't know what Ottawa does but I'd do go after one of the guys in Hamilton, Drew Allemang or Sean Burke. They've found some good players for Hamilton in their time there. But Jones would be my first choice for them. I think he wants his own team so Ottawa would be ideal for him.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 11:12 PM

Capacity limits increased in Ontario to 75% or 30,000 (up from 50%/15,000). Should provide a nice boost for Ticats and Rblacks.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Capacity limits increased in Ontario to 75% or 30,000 (up from 50%/15,000). Should provide a nice boost for Ticats and Rblacks.
Not as much a boost as you might think. Hamilton announced they are up to 18,000 now, from 15,000. Ottawa I imagine will be similar. Toronto won't matter because they will struggle to get to 10,000 anyway lol. I'm guessing Hamilton hasn't set up the Grey Cup seating yet, or they would be able to push the 30,000 number

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 5:33 AM
arf

Well that was quite the ending in BC.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 5:49 AM

Wait....Is the CFL still a thing lol. I swear i don't know anyone who still watches the Cancelled Football League. Is there like a 50 person fan base online.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Wait....Is the CFL still a thing lol. I swear i don't know anyone who still watches the Cancelled Football League. Is there like a 50 person fan base online.
Evidently, it still is a thing as this is the second time you've purposely trolled this thread and the first time I will have reported this post for trolling. I would expect a little timeout for you.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 6:13 AM
Reason and Freedom

Rick Campbell is a truly dumb, bone-headed, incompetent coach. There is utterly no excuse at any level of football for failing to grasp the total uselessness of kicking a 1-point convert for a six point lead in the final 3 minutes of the game. Even a young child understands that securing a 6-point lead when your opposition has at least one final drive has absolutely no more value than a 5 point lead and that the only rational choice is thus to go for a 2-point convert and give yourself a chance for a seven point lead, so that you can't possibly lose the game by 1 point. Even a semi-moron knows that in this scenario going for a 1-point convert and succeeding puts you in no better a position than you would be in if you were to go for a 2-point convert and fail, since in either case you will lose the game if the opposition successfully drives the field for a major (and kicks the easy 1-point convert). But going for two points and succeeding will either win or tie the game; it's the most important thing in the world. Thus, the only competent choice is 2 points or nothing. This is so rudimentary, and if you can't get that, then you are truly an idiot. Total moron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada