HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 12:13 AM
Skyriser

Richard Meier ...
http://www.waltlockley.com/oconnor/oconnor.htm
is why.

Best quote:

"All of Richard Meier's outrageous monochrome selfishness would be forgivable, the climate problems wouldn't be worth talking about, we could look past its intimidations and dysfunction and hostilities and irresponsible expense, if only it succeeded on its own star-architect turf - if only it was a good symbol. This "shaded space where people can come as a respite," this public plaza nobody is allowed to visit, this Void is the opposite of the building we needed in this place. Whether the O'Connor was merely selfish or purposely cruel, it's an act of Meier's ego in which you, lucky you, participate in the role of trespassing supplicant and citizen of a glassy authoritarian Oz. "

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 11:33 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Richard Meier ...
is why.

Best quote:

"All of Richard Meier's outrageous monochrome selfishness would be forgivable, the climate problems wouldn't be worth talking about, we could look past its intimidations and dysfunction and hostilities and irresponsible expense, if only it succeeded on its own star-architect turf - if only it was a good symbol. This "shaded space where people can come as a respite," this public plaza nobody is allowed to visit, this Void is the opposite of the building we needed in this place. Whether the O'Connor was merely selfish or purposely cruel, it's an act of Meier's ego in which you, lucky you, participate in the role of trespassing supplicant and citizen of a glassy authoritarian Oz. "
Id like to beat Richard Meier in the face with a ham for being partially responsible for putting that monstrosity in our city. I just don't understand why you'd build a giant glass box in Americas hottest city. Oh, and don't forget to not include air conditioning! Oh, and make sure to screw up the roof so that its open to dust storms.

Beyond how bad the building is internal, it takes up 2 linear city blocks, and creates a dead zone on all sides. Nearly by itself the building has crushed the dreams of Phoenix planners/citizens who had hoped for Downtown Phoenix and the Arizona State Capitol complex to be integrated and connected.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:45 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Richard Meier ...
is why.

Best quote:

Best criticism I've ever read about the Federal Courthouse. Sandra Day O'Connor should be proud...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 7:57 PM
BANNED

deconstructivists in general are overrated imho, not just Frank Gehry

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
BANNED

ok I changed my mind, the most overrated "starchitect" is.... BRAD PITT

Quote:
Brad Pitt turns architect and designs Dubai hotel

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
Last Updated: 11:16PM BST 02/06/2008

Hollywood actor Brad Pitt is to fulfil his long-held dream of becoming an architect by designing a five-star hotel complex in Dubai.

The project will be "socially conscious" and a world leader in environmental sustainability, according to the property company behind it.

The resort will comprise an 800-room luxury hotel and adjoining leisure complex, and will play host to star-studded events and awards ceremonies. Its precise location is yet to be announced.

Pitt, 44, will be among a team of design consultants and said the project underpinned his belief in "environmentally-friendly architecture".

"Whilst acting is my career, architecture is my passion. Selecting this development as my first major construction project has been a simple decision," he said.

"We will be unveiling precise plans in the next few months, but you can expect something that is not only stunning to look at, but will also be an incredible attraction to visit or stay at."

The Oscar-nominated star has a long-standing interest in architecture and is currently helping to build 150 homes in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, an area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

He has said previously: "I'm really into architecture, structure and design. Give me anything and I'll design it. I'm a bit nutty with it."

The Dubai project was announced by developers Zabeel Properties, who have appointed LA-based architecture firm Graft to oversee it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...bai-hotel.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:55 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The big problem is that starchitects think they are artists working on sculpture rather than artisans charged with making functional things beautiful. Except in very rare occasions when the sculpted form of a building is its primary use (like the Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera House or the Bilbao Guggenheim), abstract sculpturalism is completely inappropriate in cities, and architects who focus on it are doing cities a disservice.

Another thing: Deconstructivism is NOT daring. Not in any way, shape, or form. For more than 50 years now the most celebrated starchitects have been those who do abstract sculpture. Deconstructivists are doing exactly the same trick that Meis did, they’re just using different shapes for their sculpture. And even if the first decon building was daring, repeating the same thing ad nauseam for 20 years certainly is not.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 7:01 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I’ll add my voice supporting FLW, though. I’m not a big fan of his buildings, for the most part, but he established a legitimate vocabulary, work that’s far more impressive than the kitsch vomited up by the likes of Gehry.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 8:03 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I like the Sandra Day courthouse, and it was a very early attempt at "green" construction, before LEED became the in-thing. However, the engineering was not up to the task to design a building in Phoenix using natural ventillation. You can't fault Meier for the plaza or interior lobby, you can't use it because of the security, 911 and the meaningless regulations that followed aren't his fault.

Meier has always suffered from poor engineering, his outrageously expensive Perry Street towers leaked like sives. FLW was also a poor engineer, by the way.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:01 PM

Given the criticism's of Gehry's (and other's) interest in form over function, it should be interesting, then, to see how Gehry handles the Philadelphia Museum of Art expansion project....which is entirely underground.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Except in very rare occasions when the sculpted form of a building is its primary use (like the Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera House or the Bilbao Guggenheim),
I thought the Guggenheim Bilbao was supposed to be a museum! I guess as far as museums go, though, it's obviously an unmitigated failure & a waste of space. It's probably better off if it's called sculpture or something else.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:01 PM

My list would be:

Gehry
Liebskind
Eisenmann
Pei
Koolhaas
Meier

I'd throw Rudolph in there as well, but he's not really a *current* overrated architect.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
ok I changed my mind, the most overrated "starchitect" is.... BRAD PITT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...bai-hotel.html

Winner! I found this photo of Brad's home, which he designed...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:49 PM

Oh, and I forgot Will Alsop.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:29 PM

Personally I've never been impressed by Robert Venturi, despite all the praise he seems to get. His critique of modernism has its merits, but I hardly think he's come up with anything better. This is his latest Main Line "Masterpiece," Pembroke North:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:53 PM

^Exactly. Ironically, Venturi's works make Modernism look good by comparison.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Winner! I found this photo of Brad's home, which he designed...

Well, look like you didn't let go of enough ideas, Mr. Pitt. Nice clusterfuck you got there.

In his defense, when designing a project it is indeed very hard to let go of some cool old ideas. I run into this problem myself in many projects - I create some new idea or philosophy for a project and then I'm reluctant to change it as the project advances.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
To sum it up I think Gehry is simply a hit or miss.
Good way to sum it up. Like you said, Beekman Place is a brilliant design, but partially because it lacks some of that trademark Gehry flair and employs a decent amount of contextualism, such as in massing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:36 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Also, for better or for worse, he is the individual that shaped American suburbs. Every ranch-style house, with its split levels and horizontal masses, is influenced by Prairie houses. It's possible that if FWL never came along, we'd still be building Colonial houses everywhere, with neatly stacked floors and accentuated massiveness and certain verticality. Also, with his plan for Broadacre City and calls for the American people to sprawl out onto the landscape rather than clutter in congested cities, he created the modern suburban design philosophy. Whether you like the burbs or deride them for their obvious shortcomings, you must admit that someone who's brainstormed the planning principles for the communities where 70% of Americans currently live must be quite influential.
Even though Wright layed out the plans for American suburbia, developers, popular opinion and economics have turned his philosophy on its head. Our suburbanism today features only the 'sprawled out' aspect of Wrights utopian cities, but none of the sustainability, open space integration, conservation and design beauty/pioneering. Take a look at a modern subdivision and you'll find the primary style of house is either saltbox colonial or gable clusterfuck, both deriving from the traditional practices of American design. And, mind you, those early twentieth century suburbs around Chicago that were so greatly influenced by Wright's work are astoundingly beautiful; I have yet to visit a city with more beautiful suburbs than Chicago. If Wright saw the subdivisions webuild today he would have a hissy fit; he nearly lost the contract to build a house in Arizona because he refused to design an attached garage, or even a garage at all.

Wright is a total genius. Even into the 40s and 50s when his designs started getting kitcshy he still dominated. Anyone who would call him 'overrated' clearly has never visited any of his works:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:41 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I don't know how everybody rates Philip Johnson's work. He seemed like a nice guy and did a lot to promote architecture, but his work IMO is less than impressive. Let's just say that I'm not a fan of his.
Sums up my thoughts of Robert Stern. He's a brilliant voice for architecture and preaches architectural progression and urbanism Jane Jacobs style, but designs such post modernist slag...I have his 'New York 2000' book which is fantastic but I have such a hard time believing such a conservative architect would be so vocal about urbanism...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:53 PM

I love almost everything of Stern's work I've seen, and I'm not surprised that so "conservative" an architect would be so vocal about urbanism - many urban proponents are also involved with the traditional architecture world. Two great tastes that taste great together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture