HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:23 PM

2 pieces of high rise construction news:

1) 1221 W Washington in West Loop was issued a new construction permit for the foundation/basement up to the 4th floor. 19 floors and 287 units and ground-level retail. 183 parking spaces (too much).

This site used to be a nice 3 story building, which was knocked down over 4.5 years ago. The site has been a vacant lot ever since then

Rendering via https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/09/pla...west-loop.html

2) 218 E Grand Ave/535 N St. Clair was issued a new permit to build a 21 story mixed use building with 248 units with 102 parking spaces. It was a parking structure previously and been demolished over the last couple of months. People on here have posted pictures. Now they have permits to start actually building.

Refresher on what used to be there:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...!4d-87.6224395

Via https://arcregrp.com/properties/535-...ir-chicago-il/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:25 PM

tall

nice segment on supertalls from CBS, touches on all the hot related topics including building a mile-high building, shadows, and wealth inequality. all in 7 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfk_qhCuLzY

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 6:03 PM

1101 W Van Buren was issued a new construction permit yesterday for caissons. It will rise 18 stories and have 298 units. I think there will be 82 parking spaces. It recently got a redesign and a haircut of 50 feet and may have gotten another haircut even. There will be ~2000 sq ft of retail space on Van Buren. Right now the site is a vacant lot and has been for years.

That makes 2 new West Loop high rises permitted in the last 2 days, both around the same heights and unit counts.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 12:59 AM

Love it, canyonizes the Ike and all near the blue line

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 7:18 PM

Reposting this in the highrise thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Does anyone know anything about this project? I don't think I've seen any renderings or news on it.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl_XSRArnWt/
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Saw this the other day but forgot to post it on here. He's right. There's a pending permit for it that has been active of late, but not issued (still pending). This will count as a high rise.

"2019 CBC: DIRECT DEVELOPER SERVICES: FOUNDATION & PARTIAL SUPERSTRUCTURE (1ST-2ND FLOOR AND TO THE TOP OF CORE AT LEVEL 4 AND CAST-IN-PLACE CONCRETE STAIRS AND WALLS AT STAIR AND ELEVATOR CORES UP TO THE UNDERSIDE OF LEVEL 6) FOR A NEW 13-STORY, 149 D.U."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
LOL, had to get the PIN, then the deed, then at about the 2nd LLC on cyberdrive to get to CMK, all on a phone of course. Looking forward to this and I'm also assuming it's as of right as well

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 9:44 PM

The potential for thousands of new units would be a big density boost

Developers propose $1 billion in work to help LaSalle Street
Quote:
Developers generally kept to the 30% requirement in their proposals, although not all of the projects can be carried out. Buildings at 208 S. LaSalle and 105 W. Adams St. that have gone through foreclosure each got competing proposals from two investment groups.
The most expensive renovation, as outlined in a city summary of responses, would involve a landmark building at 135 S. LaSalle, the former home of Bank of America. Owner AmTrust Realty joined with Riverside Investment & Development to propose turning its office floors into 430 residences at a cost of $258 million. Other possibilities there include a grocery store.

Large conversions to housing also were proposed for buildings at 30 N. LaSalle and 111 W. Monroe St.

In all, the proposals for the seven sites called for more than 2,000 housing units. One plan for 105 W. Adams contained the biggest commitment to diversity in housing, specifying that 75% of its 247 units would be affordable.
One proposal took a different tack. The investment firm Urban Resolve and partners want to turn 400 S. LaSalle, the former headquarters of the Chicago Board Options Exchange, into an esports venue with 226 beds for student housing, a food court and fitness center.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/12...ng-residential

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

This is great news.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 1:21 AM

Permits Received?

I believe 1112 W Carroll received a few permits yesterday. Can someone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
December 1, 2022

December 15, 2022

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
I believe 1112 W Carroll received a few permits yesterday. Can someone confirm?
They had a few parts of the permit approved yesterday but the permit wasn't issued yet (unless it was issued today and the permit status site is delayed). Seems like they could issue it pretty soon though.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:23 PM

Thanks for the breakdown!

Quote:
They had a few parts of the permit approved yesterday but the permit wasn't issued yet (unless it was issued today and the permit status site is delayed). Seems like they could issue it pretty soon though.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 9:03 PM

1245 W. Fulton/225 N. Elizabeth

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 9:26 PM

160 N. Morgan

With 1020 W. Randolph and 900 W. Randolph filling out the frame.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

They're saying 2,000 units, of which 600 will be affordable. And from the 2021 ACS it looks like the tract making up that western part of The Loop has 87% occupancy on residential units, and 1.5 persons per household.

So if all of the proposed projects are built and their occupancy matches those ACS numbers, we'd expect them to:
  • Add 2,610 people to the 8,234 in that tract and 15,936 in the whole "Loop" currently.
  • Increase population density to 25,491.6 from 19,356.1 in that tract (making it slightly less dense than the North East Loop tract which is 27,667.4).
  • Increase population density to 20,606.7 from 17,706.7 in the whole "Loop" (the South East Loop drags down the average here due to all that Grant Park land).

So, in addition to repurposing some stately old office buildings and tightening up the commercial market, this ought to help accelerate the existing residential growth in The Loop and ensure the area stays a bit more occupied and active in off peak times.

For reference, here are the 2020 Census numbers for the 3 census tracts that make up The Loop (note that this might include a bit more to the east and south than some might consider part of The Loop proper):

West Half of the Loop (the River to Harrison N-S, and the River to State St E-W):
Census Tract 8391
Population Density: 19,356.1
Cook County, Illinois (17031839100)
Total Population: 8,234
Land Area (sq mi): 0.4

North East Loop (the River to Madison N-S, and State to Columbus E-W; note this includes Millennium Park):
Census Tract 3201.02
Cook County, Illinois (17031320102)
Population Density: 27,667.4
Total Population: 4,846
Land Area (sq mi): 0.2

South East Loop (Madison to Harrison N-S, and State to the Lake E-W; note that this includes much of Grant Park which drags it's numbers down):
Census Tract 3204
Cook County, Illinois (17031320400)
Population Density: 9,198.8
Total Population: 2,856
Land Area (sq mi): 0.3

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
Increase population density to 20,606.7 from 17,706.7 in the whole "Loop" (the South East Loop drags down the average here due to all that Grant Park land).

Are you only counting the Loop created by the tracks instead of "The Loop" community area that goes down to Roosevelt? The population within the area of Lake St, Wells St, Van Buren St, and Wabash Ave was 2567 as of the 2020 Census with a physical land area of 0.240385273 sq mi, or a density of 10,678.7 ppsm. If you add 2610 people to that, it would be 21,536.3 ppsm inside of the tracks. Of course, there's a few more projects in the works, so realistically it could go to near 25K ppsm or over, which is still not super dense.

Now, if you want to talk about The Loop as an entire community area down to Roosevelt..

The 2021 population density of The Loop community area is 23,753.6 ppsm (down from 2020 because they estimated a population loss). If you add 2610 people then you'd be at 25,330 ppsm for the Loop. All of the Grant Park, Millennium Park, etc land + Lake Shore Drive + lakefront park land east of Lake Shore Drive is 0.5107942367 square miles in The Loop community area (from Roosevelt north to the river) So the 2021 estimated density of The Loop CA without that park land/LSD is 34,351.8 ppsm. If you add 2610 people to that, you'd get a density of 25,330 ppsm with all the park land and 36,631.6 ppsm without it. Of course, there's many projects in the works for "The Loop" community area. I think by 2030 it will be at over 30K ppsm even counting all the park land (probably close to 45K ppsm without counting the park land).

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 2, 2023 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Are you only counting the Loop created by the tracks instead of "The Loop" community area that goes down to Roosevelt? The population within the area of Lake St, Wells St, Van Buren St, and Wabash Ave was 2567 as of the 2020 Census with a physical land area of 0.240385273 sq mi, or a density of 10,678.7 ppsm. If you add 2610 people to that, it would be 21,536.3 ppsm inside of the tracks. Of course, there's a few more projects in the works, so realistically it could go to near 25K ppsm, which is still not super dense.

Now, if you want to talk about The Loop as an entire community area down to Roosevelt..

The 2021 population density of The Loop community area is 23,753.6 ppsm (down from 2020 because they estimated a population loss). If you add 2610 people then you'd be at 25,330 ppsm for the Loop. All of the Grant Park, Millennium Park, etc land + Lake Shore Drive + lakefront park land east of Lake Shore Drive is 0.5107942367 square miles in The Loop community area (from Roosevelt north to the river) So the 2021 estimated density of The Loop CA without that park land/LSD is 34,351.8 ppsm. If you add 2610 people to that, you'd get a density of 25,330 ppsm with all the park land and 36,631.6 ppsm without it. Of course, there's many projects in the works for "The Loop" community area. I think by 2030 it will be at over 30K ppsm even counting all the park land (probably close to 45K ppsm without counting the park land).
I'm counting the 3 census tracts I mentioned, which cover from the river down to Harrison St (plus a bit more down to Balbo in Grant Park) from north to south. There's a link in my post that includes a map of what the tracts cover.

I'm guessing you're using census block group numbers to approximate the boundaries of the el tracks and the community area?

And, yes I expect there will be other projects adding residential in the loop beyond these in this decade. I'm looking forward to that seeing that change, especially in the targeted area around LaSalle Street, and the extra life it might bring to the area outside of bankers hours.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 6:14 AM

One thing to also consider is that the vacancy rate may have been affected by the early days of the pandemic. A year later though, we were starting to hear stories of how many buildings have achieve >95% occupancy cause the market has low supply.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 6:19 AM

Quote:
I'm counting the 3 census tracts I mentioned, which cover from the river down to Harrison St (plus a bit more down to Balbo in Grant Park) from north to south. There's a link in my post that includes a map of what the tracts cover.

I'm guessing you're using census block group numbers to approximate the boundaries of the el tracks and the community area?

And, yes I expect there will be other projects adding residential in the loop beyond these in this decade. I'm looking forward to that seeing that change, especially in the targeted area around LaSalle Street, and the extra life it might bring to the area outside of bankers hours.
I'm using Census Blocks. The Block Groups don't give what data I'm giving because they're way too big and don't go to the boundaries of the elevated tracks. The blocks line up exactly with the boundaries though. No need to even do some sort of approximation because of that. It's perfectly aligned.

Now, if you go between Lake, Van Buren, Michigan Ave, and Wabash there's actually more people than inside of the tracks and it's over 53,000 ppsm as of the 2020 Census. It's possibly a little more now, maybe closer to 55K ppsm. If you extend that sliver down to Roosevelt then it's just over 60K ppsm as of the 2020 Census. If 1000M is a huge success and adds 1000 residents there, then the density will be almost 69K ppsm. Realistically it could easily be over 70K ppsm within a few years.

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 2, 2023 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 3:33 PM

Hopefully this crop of LaSalle Street conversions is just the first phase of residential conversions – I imagine more developers will want to jump in once this gets going, especially after seeing how many projects are already in the works.

A handful of buildings come to mind for high-end residential conversion once the Loop (west of State) is established as a more desirable place to live – the Rookery, Civic Opera Building, Two North Riverside, the Standard Club (already in the works most likely), etc.

I also wonder if Monroe Street and the area around Exelon Plaza becomes a primary east-west corridor connecting the newly mixed-use stretch of LaSalle to State Street and everything east. There's already a Hyatt facing the plaza and a newly announced conversion at 79 W. Monroe, plus the potential for mixed-use conversions at Chase Tower or Inland Steel someday down the line.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 4:15 PM

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/1/...s-sterling-bay

For city’s next growth spurt, follow the money to north-northwest corridor

The city touts its Invest South/West initiative, but the real action is on the other side of town.
By David Roeder Jan 2, 2023, 5:30am CST

Quote:
There have been no official pronouncements, but the pattern is clear. Chicago’s next batch of new high-rises will be north and northwest of downtown. Starting from West Town and running through Goose Island toward west Lincoln Park, the city’s growth will radiate along the North Branch of the Chicago River, expanding what we think of as “downtown” toward Wicker Park and Bucktown. It will happen because private investors have ordained it with the help of city policymakers.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
That sounds convenient, do you have that block level data uploaded to a private system, or is it searchable and mapable online somewhere I'm not aware of?

I personally find the river and Congress and Michigan Ave a more intuitive boundary when colloquially talking about the loop than the elevated tracks. Counting those narrow boundary areas surrounding the tracks separately seems like it might be slicing things too thin when trying to measure walkable density, given that they are only a block wide in places. But it would definitely be very useful to cut Grant Park and the lake out of density statistics.
I just use ArcGIS Pro on my computer with all the geography level shape files downloaded (free from the Census website) and loaded into it. Every shape has how many square meters of land and water embedded..makes it easy to figure out in that case. The geoid is there too which you can use to construct a query against Census data.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations