HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:55 AM

Savannah is beautiful and fun

I love Savannah. My first time there it exceeded my expectations. It is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and fun.

I once read an article that stated, when comparing Savannah to Charleston, that Savannah is a like girlfriend (hair down, jeans, outgoing and fun) while Charleston is like a wife (more formal, straight-laced). I've never been to Charleston.

But I have also visited New Orleans. And Savannah also has similarities to New Orleans like others have stated. They both believe in historical preservation. They both have major rivers (the Savannah and the Mississippi) that runs through them. They both are fun (River Street and St. Patrick's Day in Savannah - Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras in New Orleans). Of course, New Orleans is larger and wilder but Savannah is cleaner and more intimate. From the planned city aspect, it also reminds me of DC which has the circles and Savannah has the squares. The squares in Savannah are really inviting to a pedestrian and gorgeous.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:55 PM

/

Wow what a place,like that its not too polished and those trees are class.Anymore pics?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 1:40 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
I love Savannah. My first time there it exceeded my expectations. It is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and fun.

I once read an article that stated, when comparing Savannah to Charleston, that Savannah is a like girlfriend (hair down, jeans, outgoing and fun) while Charleston is like a wife (more formal, straight-laced). I've never been to Charleston.

Hah, yeah, I like your analogy.. I have found more things to do in Charleston, and prefer what I feel is more urban of an experience with a wider range of experiences, and being on a harbor instead of the river, but I was completely unfairly comparing both to New Orleans [the Mistress] the whole time, last time I was in the area. I've camped and fished in the sea islands area, too, the whole area is a wonderful visit in the spring and fall. I went kind of mad camping there in the summer, once.

I should think that if I were to recommend one or t'other, I'd have to say to make an effort for both.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
So if I've never been to either, should I go to Charleston or Savannah?
Both. They're within 2 hours by car.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:17 PM
Editor

Savannah is definitely a cool place.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:23 PM

Savannah looks beautiful! And oh yes, row-houses!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 3:58 PM
i ain't no bubba

Fantastic tour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
I once read an article that stated, when comparing Savannah to Charleston, that Savannah is a like girlfriend (hair down, jeans, outgoing and fun) while Charleston is like a wife (more formal, straight-laced).
This is a great description!
Charleston is stunning...it's more polished and staid with nothing out of place. I've heard they have specific guidelines about the colors that can be used on the exterior, strict rules about the maintenance of your home even fines for not keeping the exterior brass accents polished.
Savannah is equally as beautiful but much more casual. The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) has a huge presence in the city and gives it an amazing energy. SCAD's perfectly restored buildings are everywhere and its hard to imagine what the city would be like without the school's influence.
If you're planning a trip, visit the rooftop deck of The Bohemian hotel for great river views. If you venture to Forsyth Park (location of 'the fountain') stroll through The Mansion hotel. Stop at Alexander Hall (near the base of the bridge to Tybee) for a look at studio spaces for SCAD students. This warehouse includes dozens of closet-sized work spaces with artwork posted in the hallways. I've never had any issues getting in but there is a chance that it may not be open to the public since its not actually a gallery space but student work areas. The SCAD art museum opened in October and is in a beautiful restored warehouse. +/- on the artwork.
As intriguing as you might find the Spanish moss dripping from all the trees, DO NOT snatch it up! Although you may think it would look around a plant at home or make a good wig , it is packed full of all kinds of critters. If you absolutely have to have some, zap it in a microwave.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:27 PM

Wonderful looking city , I bet the real estate is expensive.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:35 AM

Great pics, Savannah is really beautiful!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:08 AM
RIP Knut!

what a lovely town/city

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:36 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

One of America's most unique looking cities? Seems like it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Beautiful pics of a great Southern city. The squares help to make it so. I hope to get back there eventually.
I love both Savannah and Charleston. I too have to give the edge to Charleston, but that may be because I"ve spent more time there.

Thanks for the wonderful tour Chef.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 11:38 PM

Here's an old thread I posted a few years back about my hometown.

Some may have seen it before.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...light=savannah

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Both. They're within 2 hours by car.
Spending two days in each later this month.

And I made a reservation at Husk in Charleston before even booking hotels and flights.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Spending two days in each later this month.

And I made a reservation at Husk in Charleston before even booking hotels and flights.
Please post lots of photos. Excluding Miami, Charleston and Savannah are the two best cities in the southeast, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:05 AM
Ms AA

I love Savannah, I find it intoxicating. I wish it weren't 700 miles away.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrherodotus View Post
I love Savannah, I find it intoxicating. I wish it weren't 700 miles away.
Hi, amigo.

Are you a history student, or did you choose the name Herodotus for some other reason?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Please post lots of photos. Excluding Miami, Charleston and Savannah are the two best cities in the southeast, in my opinion.
I'll try, although I don't spend the day taking dozens or hundreds of pictures of places like I used to (more likely to be eating local grub or sitting somewhere having a beer... you know, real cultural stuff). I've got all kinds of photos from over the years that I've never posted, because I don't have a Flickr or whatever account.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:04 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaCJ View Post
That building in 78 looks lonely

Sorry Atlanta, this city is Georgia's premier city in my book.
I remember telling friends in Metro Atlanta that I was possibly going to spend a lot of time in Georgia. As soon as I said Savannah, their response was "Why? It sucks. There's so much more in Atlanta." I've never been a fan of Atlanta, no offense to people from there. Savannah has the urbanity, beauty, and liveliness that make it feel like an incredibly beautiful and real city. Thank you!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
I remember telling friends in Metro Atlanta that I was possibly going to spend a lot of time in Georgia. As soon as I said Savannah, their response was "Why? It sucks. There's so much more in Atlanta." I've never been a fan of Atlanta, no offense to people from there. Savannah has the urbanity, beauty, and liveliness that make it feel like an incredibly beautiful and real city. Thank you!
Your friends in Atlanta are probably the exception in regards to that sentiment toward Savannah. Most Atlantans (including me) think very favorably of Savannah. I recognize the differences but appreciate both - but that's true of me on almost all things.

The most divisive things I ever hear between the two places is from people on this forum who don't live in either place. In all my years of living in Georgia and Atlanta, I don't recall ever hearing anyone say Savannah sucks. It's certainly not the overriding sentiment by Atlantans or Georgians in general.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos