HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I seriously doubt GEM will pull that off. But who knows.

Dont get me wrong itd be great. But looks ambitious. Especially with their track record.
I think they will likely pull off something. It will be 1 or 2 buildings at a time.
They have completed a few projects in the last 10 or 15 years, probably 1500 units built (just guessing).

I don't know who has backed them in the past but if they can get the financing they should be ok. They have enough experience managing projects. I don't think Andrew is necessarily a grifter, his company is on the cusp of being a solid multi-family developer but doesn't have the assets that a multi-generational family company would have to pay for unforeseen surprises.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Where have they built units in the past ten years?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:35 PM

When did he finish the project on Troy Ave behind the Four Crowns hotel? Has it been over 10 years already?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:39 PM

Definitely over 10 years now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:39 PM

The tarps have been removed from the P&M side of 201 Portage to reveal.... the same painted blue plywood is still there!!

Seriously what is going on there?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 6:15 PM

the way the forest is regenerating at the parker lands makes me wish they would just let it naturalize again and find somewhere else to squabble over.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:04 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Where have they built units in the past ten years?
I don't know, look it up. What kind of answer are you expecting with a question like this?

Wasn't 33 Hargrave theirs? Or the old Sheraton on Donald?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:30 AM
surely you agree with me

Seemed like a straight question. If they’ve built 1500 units, they must be located somewhere.

I don’t think they have built any units in the past ten years.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't know, look it up. What kind of answer are you expecting with a question like this?

The Sheraton (160 Smith) is Timbercreek, which I just found out got acquired and is now called Hazelview.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:55 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post

You're the one that made the claim, he just asked you to prove it. It's not on him (or anyone else) to take time to look up your claims. If you have proof then it should be easy for you to link a source or two.

Unless, of course, you made a random claim and are just trying to shift the burden of proof because you have nothing...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The Sheraton (160 Smith) is Timbercreek, which I just found out got acquired and is now called Hazelview.
Was it acquired? Everything I've seen just states rebrand. And I would say they're not doing a stellar job of it, which suggests it is the same people...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Was it acquired? Everything I've seen just states rebrand. And I would say they're not doing a stellar job of it, which suggests it is the same people...
Was a rebrand.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:25 PM

Oh yeah you're right essentially a rebrand of the consumer side. Technically is owned by a different part of the company now haha. I assumed it was acquired base on the way they structured the brand on the website, and the fact its just a weird thing/way to rebrand.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
You're the one that made the claim, he just asked you to prove it. It's not on him (or anyone else) to take time to look up your claims. If you have proof then it should be easy for you to link a source or two.

Unless, of course, you made a random claim and are just trying to shift the burden of proof because you have nothing...
I have nothing and I said that from the beginning. I said I was guessing. The guess was based on vague memories (my source). Conversations are difficult on this site. The burden of proof is very high for a casual exchange, I have no proof of this statement, only distant recollections.

The way I worded my initial post was intended to say a little but to be open to correction in order to help the conversation along. I have failed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Seemed like a straight question. If they’ve built 1500 units, they must be located somewhere.

I don’t think they have built any units in the past ten years.
It didn't seem straight to me when I read it. But I guess that's on me. My apologies.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Gem Equities - formerly B&M Land Company did the apartments behind the Four Crowns on McPhillips.

B&M redid the Sheraton Hotel and built the Parkade (the building was then sold to Timbercreek a few years after completion).

GEM Equities got one of the apartment buildings at the Fort Rouge Yards project (the southern most building called Jubilee South Osborne) 3/4 complete before it was taken over by another developer/builder (I believe Sunstone took over the project).

The rest of Fort Rouge Yards projects were taken over by other developers - Streetside, Ironclad etc..
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:16 PM
the first stamp is free

They were also attempting to redevelop the old apartment block at 44 Hargrave before it burnt to the ground. I am not sure if they were involved in the new building that was recently rebuilt on that lot.

It takes a special kind of incompetence at the COW for Gem to come out of this Parker Lands situation like victims.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:35 PM

They did that thing on McPhillips where they circumvented the Cities requirements and were fined as such. They were supposed to build a park. Instead they built another building.

They tried to do the thing on the east side of Pembina but failed there.

Which is why the City is raking them over the coals. I hold little hope they can get what they plan to done. I will never see GEM as any sort of upstanding developer. They are the epitome of shady real estate developer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:15 PM

This morning I saw 3 pickup trucks from Barnes and Duncan and some guys roaming around the open field where the Concordia Health+Fitness centre is going.
Hopefully thats a sign that they are still moving forward with this.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:16 PM

Brian P kiboshed that one a while ago. Good news if something's going on.

I wonder if they'd even consider selling the land to someone else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan