HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Jiefangbei Book City in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chongqing Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
So they decided to just go ahead a rip off aqua in Chicago? Excellent!

I disagree! What's interesting about this tower are the varied floor plates. They are not merely attachments to a box. I like how this proposal shows varying volumes on each floor or over several floors.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 12:16 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I agree, people need to really stop comparing both towers.

The only thing similar are the waves. And not even those are similar, it's just the concept that people are hatin on.

This building is not a box, the base is not a box, the floor plates are not rectangular, there's no hideous pop corn ceiling, railing is glass, waves are much less fluid, and the waves have wood floors.

i really hope the plants stay on. plants that need less water than average can be used, bamboo is a great one and it would look great too. and maybe even some ivy hanging from those balconies. that would look sweet.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 3:30 AM

A better comparison is a similar project in NYC Midtown. Ugh, I forgot it's name!!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 3:32 AM

One Madison Avenue. I think that's it's name.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:06 AM

Will have to see the final product but it looks semi-fugly in the diagrams.

Aqua in Chicago doesn't excite me as I don't like the standard box inside of white painted concrete balconies. The glass and white concrete don't mix unless its at night when its in lights.

The problem with the Chongching building is that its too green, IMO. It looks weird with all the plant growth.

Absolut World in Mississauga actually looks okay, because the design of the building isn't a box inside of the outside balcony shell, it seems to flow better, so we'll see if it works. It seems like it may work better than Aqua.

BUT, this is a new form of architecture and these budding projects are all contributing to understanding the form better and what works/does not work.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:12 AM

Here are a few photos of Absolute World I in Mississsauga, Metro Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

So far it looks like a better representation of this form, but we'll see what the completed product looks like @ 50 stories and with all the glass properly installed without the fugly red guard railing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
So they decided to just go ahead a rip off aqua in Chicago? Excellent!

dezeen.com/chicagotribune.com

chicagotribune.com
They're both ugly as hell.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:29 AM

With a Bookstore at its Core Aedas Unveils Mix-use Project Inspired by Rolled Book Scrolls

Quote:
Aedas has unveiled the plans for its Chongqing Xinhua Bookstore Group Jiefangbei Book City mixed-use project, a complex of retail, residential, office, and hotel space with a Xinhua Bookstore at its core. Based on an ancient Chinese prose that states “knowledge brings wealth,” the project aims to integrate the concept of a book with the cultural elements of Chongqing to create an interactive commercial space.

Inspired by the form of a rolled book scroll, the central building in the project appears to unfold through stepped terraces, “implying the spirit of wisdom and knowledge.” These stepped terraces furthermore reflect the landscape of Chongqing, which is called the “Mountain City.”

The complex will additionally feature three themed plazas: The inclined rooftop and cultural plaza at the podium become a new cultural destination for lifestyle and entertainment activities, while the sky cultural plaza enriches and extends the civic space of Jiefangbei Plaza to provide a refreshing and tranquil environment in this business center for users to relax and enjoy.

Expected completion of the complex is set for 2020.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:22 PM
Development Shill

Reading all those hyped up people in 2010, and this is what they'll actually get... lmao

It's not bad, but this is not a groundbreaking design.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals