HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:30 AM

Those top-floor (non-penthouse) balconies will be something if you enjoy harbour views.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Those top-floor (non-penthouse) balconies will be something if you enjoy harbour views.
It's funny but having lived or rented in many buildings and living on higher and lower floors, I've always found that more often than not, the lower flowers have better views. For a downtown such as Halifax (smaller city/buildings than say New York) the lower to mid floors give you a much better view of the surroundings when in your own apartment, if you're fortunate enough to be facing the waterfront, you can see it while sitting in your living room. If you're too high up you pretty much see the sky only unless you get up and go to the windows. The Alexander will be a good example of this, I was sent a video of a unit on the 7th floor facing the waterfront and it's outstanding, you'll be able to enjoy it while sitting on your couch. I doubt you'd be able to have that same view on the 20th floor.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:43 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
For a few years ....and when the Baptist church is sold a new building will probably be higher and obscure the views. The best views will be at the rear, overlooking the graveyard. The same developer is keen to buy the church.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine View Post
It's funny but having lived or rented in many buildings and living on higher and lower floors, I've always found that more often than not, the lower flowers have better views. For a downtown such as Halifax (smaller city/buildings than say New York) the lower to mid floors give you a much better view of the surroundings when in your own apartment, if you're fortunate enough to be facing the waterfront, you can see it while sitting in your living room. If you're too high up you pretty much see the sky only unless you get up and go to the windows. The Alexander will be a good example of this, I was sent a video of a unit on the 7th floor facing the waterfront and it's outstanding, you'll be able to enjoy it while sitting on your couch. I doubt you'd be able to have that same view on the 20th floor.
Depends on the surrounding topography and the window size. I’m on the 16th on Monaghan facing downtown and I have an incredible view of the entire city from anywhere in my unit... standing in the kitchen... sitting in the living room... even laying down. And the flat topography. If the land sloped down I wouldn’t see as much. The almost floor to ceiling windows are a huge factor as well. That why I still have a view even when laying down on my chaise lounger. By comparison... the Fenwick (South Village?) has small chest height windows. That’s a good example of a build with amazing views but... because of the window size and placement... you wouldn’t see much of it no matter what floor you’re on unless your standing up right in front of a window looking out.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
For a few years ....and when the Baptist church is sold a new building will probably be higher and obscure the views. The best views will be at the rear, overlooking the graveyard. The same developer is keen to buy the church.
I am confused. what Baptist church are you referring to?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:54 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
From this angle it would be impossible for someone new to Halifax to know that the Alexander wasn't built at the same time as Bishop's Landing. At least the material and finishes complement each other.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
I am confused. what Baptist church are you referring to?
I posted on the wrong thread, I was referring to Lotus Point in Dartmouth.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
From this angle it would be impossible for someone new to Halifax to know that the Alexander wasn't built at the same time as Bishop's Landing. At least the material and finishes complement each other.
Hmmm... very interesting observation.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Well, I'm not sure I agree. Does the Alexander use a mishmash of brick and cement block, asphalt shingles and corrugated metal roofing?

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:35 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 7:31 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
What an eyesore.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 8:49 PM

The final type of cladding was being added to the front corner this week as well as work on the landscaped area on the roof of the podium.

20180521_093042 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180521_093126 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
The final type of cladding was being added to the front corner this week as well as work on the landscaped area on the roof of the podium.

20180521_093042 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20180521_093126 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Looks like the aluminum (?) cladding is already getting dinged up. Overall I’m disappointed in this building.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 8:36 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Looks like the aluminum (?) cladding is already getting dinged up. Overall I’m disappointed in this building.

IIRC, this was the spot during a storm this winter when construction equipment came loose and damaged the building. People were living in the unit where this happened, it made the news.

Otherwise, completely agree. What a mess of a building. Such high hopes when they put in that stone on the podium.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:44 AM
Midtowner since 2K

The tower will have to reclad sometime in the next thirty years......disappointing quality.

The overall form itself is good, the project is great with it's uses and general plan.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:45 PM

I wonder if there's a world record for the number of vastly different finishes on one section of a building...

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 11:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It looks quite 'cobbled together' from this angle. The light-coloured wood in the renderings looks a lot better than this orangey stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth