HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 10:02 PM
BANNED

camping

someone posted a thread asking for camping... I wrote this long drawn out response and the thread is now gone... I forgot who it was so hopefully you see this and find it helpful.
should have sent me a PM.

It's hot in Wickenburg, are you open to any other places?

Travel south on Vulture Mine Road from Wickenburg for about 15 minutes and there are some nice areas. If you have 4WD you can get to some neat spots. There is a lot of shooting in that area though, which is why I tend to stay away. I'm ok with me shooting, but you don't know the education level of those around you.

If you are looking around online for a camping spot, that leads me to beleive you may be looking for improved camp sites? If so, not going to happen. One of the beautiful things about Arizona, is you can camp whereever you want for the most part. If you are on STL, you'll need a $15 permit and if you're on BLM land, it's fair game.

Why wickenburg though? Theres nothing but ugly desert. No shade, no running water, no activities... seems like an awful place to camp. If I go somewhere within an hour of the city, I'll do Sheep's Crossing, Seven Springs, or Dugas road if shooting is involved. Only Seven Springs on that list is improved. There is also a great campground about half way to Payson at Sunflower Mine. Lots of history there too. Any 2wd truck or SUV can make it as far as the old mine building and it is COOL! You can camp near the water just before it but you have to beat people there on the weekends. one of my favorite places to wheel is back there behind the mine, but unless you have at least 33's, 4wd, and preferably lockers, you won't have much fun.

Crown King is by far the pinnacle of camping, but you have to really want to go there.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 10:06 AM

this time of year you def want to go up on the Rim. Way too hot to do desert camping, imo. Queen Valley is a nice desert camping area. it's just past Florence Junction on US 60 and easy to get back there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest