HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
I think this site could have taken something much taller, a preferable less heavy and fat tower, but overall, a good addition to the hydrostone area.
Can't have tall -- this is Halifax after all, with its phobia about anything more than 8 storeys of so.

I think the tower looks a little bit like every other apartment/condo tower built or proposed locally in the last few years. Disappointing design.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 3:46 PM

I think it looks alright. Nothing amazing. But not too bad either. I think I would have liked to see a more contrasting tower. I do really like the podium with the exception of the blank wall in the first rendering. There are no excuses for blank walls on street sides anymore. But the tower portion perhaps should have been more glass or more modern in design.

I clipped these from those sites.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 4:21 PM

i think it looks good
its not amazing or anything
but its good for the area, good fit.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 10:23 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think it looks alright. Nothing amazing. But not too bad either. I think I would have liked to see a more contrasting tower. I do really like the podium with the exception of the blank wall in the first rendering. There are no excuses for blank walls on street sides anymore. But the tower portion perhaps should have been more glass or more modern in design.

I clipped these from those sites.

Great design. It fits well into the landscape and has good relief. I think it is better than Amory sq. and the two new buildings on South St. I wonder if the precast is like W suites or the new building at the Hydrostone?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
Urban Thinker

I like the look of this one. I also think it will add a lot of vibrancy to the neighbourhood. This and 5552 Kaye really are good fits for the area, and the retail will just add onto the great retail of the Hydrostone Market

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The best thing about this is that it will add more people to the area. It is particularly nice because of the Hydrostone market and a few other buildings that can serve as a kind of nucleation point for a medium density neighbourhood. There are also lots of changes happening along Gottingen and Agricola.. in the past they felt like a bit of a wasteland, but now they are more like the southern parts of Hollis or Barrington of a few years ago.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 11:09 PM
Honored Member

I especially like the street level townhouse component of this development. This is an idea that might work well in a number of areas in the HRM. It also has street level retail.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 4:30 AM

I agree, this isn't anything amazing, but it does the job it's supposed to do. At least it has street level retail, or part, at the town houses look ok as well as a bottom floor.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I especially like the street level townhouse component of this development. This is an idea that might work well in a number of areas in the HRM. It also has street level retail.
Agreed, this should work well on this street, and maybe others like Windsor. The tower is ok, but overall a good project at street level will add to this area. Reasonable height.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 1:13 AM

Where does this sit now in terms of process? Approved? Shovels about to hit the ground?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 1:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Where does this sit now in terms of process? Approved? Shovels about to hit the ground?

According to the allnovascotia.com, public hearings will start in April with a sales campaign possibly by the end of the year. So construction is likely about 2 years away according to a source in the allnovascotia.com (Mike April, vp of ECL)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:22 PM

April 29, 2010 Public information meeting

St. Joseph’s Alexander McKay Elementary School (gym)

5389 Russell Street, Halifax - 7:00 p.m.

Case 01325 - Application by ECL Properties Limited to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to permit an 11 storey mixed use residential/commercial building on the east side of Gottingen Street, between Kaye and Russell Streets, the site of the former St. Joseph's Church, Halifax, by development agreement.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:10 PM

Yeah, finally get the ball rolling on this project. Hopefully it gets approved

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:31 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to the allnovascotia.com, public hearings will start in April with a sales campaign possibly by the end of the year. So construction is likely about 2 years away according to a source in the allnovascotia.com (Mike April, vp of ECL)
Interesting how they were allowed to demolish the church and leave a tax reduced hole in the ground for 3+ years?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Interesting how they were allowed to demolish the church and leave a tax reduced hole in the ground for 3+ years?
Yeah this needs to be addressed, it explains many of the holes found throughout the city.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 3:18 PM
we built this city

What I'm most happy about is that this will be visible from the Dartmouth side / the bridge.

Young Tower and Gladstone ridge won't look so lonely.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 4:21 PM

Looking forward to attending the public meeting in 3 weeks. I'm sure the usual complaints will be aired.(its too tall...., it will cause a wind tunnel, it will cause cancer :-)

Gordon

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
What I'm most happy about is that this will be visible from the Dartmouth side / the bridge.

Young Tower and Gladstone ridge won't look so lonely.
my thoughts exactly the north end is growing and this is good you can and will see a lot of it from the Dartmouth side and its going to be better with this not to mention the street scape.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanupnorth View Post
Looking forward to attending the public meeting in 3 weeks. I'm sure the usual complaints will be aired.(its too tall...., it will cause a wind tunnel, it will cause cancer :-)

Gordon
Don't you know? Tall buildings transmit an alien disease to people to make them oppose tall buildings, only a few Halgonians are immune to it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 5:10 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Don't you know? Tall buildings transmit an alien disease to people to make them oppose tall buildings, only a few Halgonians are immune to it.
Lol, even some on a skyscraper forum have been infected...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth