HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Think about it as if you're standing at Temple University Station on a Saturday. Right now, you're probably seeing at most 5-6 tph in both directions, spread across 12 (really 6) lines (let's say, for the sake of argument, that each line has a paring and trains from one only run onto the other and vice/versa. Cynwyd is excepted since it doesn't call Temple). Now imagine if each of those lines runs 2 tph, 30 minute headways. You're already talking about going from 6 trains to 12 in each direction. Those 5 minutes between trains get a lot longer when a switch fails, or when your Fox Chase train on 2 along with an Airport train on 3 and a Bryn Mawr local on 4 is held at Wayne for a Chestnut Hill East train to cross the main, etc. It's a tricky problem to solve and one that won't come easy.
How does other countries over come this challenge? I assume it's through more infrastructure like more tracks, flyover/unders and more signaling. For example somewhere like Jenkintown can see 3 trains in a span of 15 minutes and not see any trains for the next hour. This is on weekends I'm talking about

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Hilco to start building ‘Bellwether District’ on old PES refinery grounds in early 2023

https://www.inquirer.com/business/hi...-20221116.html

I didn't realize there would be a life sciences component to this. Good news.
Exciting to see this project moving forward so quickly, and great that Phase 2 will include a life sciences component.

This project has a full circle feel to it. Philadelphia was once the nations leader in manufacturing and industry... Maybe this district (and all the University City projects) will elevate Philadelphia to the forefront for life sciences and logistics. Not an outlandish claim based on recent developments.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
How does other countries over come this challenge? I assume it's through more infrastructure like more tracks, flyover/unders and more signaling. For example somewhere like Jenkintown can see 3 trains in a span of 15 minutes and not see any trains for the next hour. This is on weekends I'm talking about
Signaling is a big part of it, but a lot of it is infrastructure that doesn't actually exist in the locations we're talking about. What breaks a chain is the weakest link. As long as any line is limited by capacity, throughput, etc, you're always going to have a problem.

Places like Japan overcome the problem because their equivalent of Regional Rail is incredibly maintained and incredibly run. Trains are rarely if ever late, so in making the assumption that everything will always be perfect, it becomes much easier to have some of the train densities they have. Beyond that, their trunk lines aren't as condensed as ours (I'm unsure if even Tokyo has any trunk handling traffic from 12 lines. Need to research). When you have multiple trunks to work with, it becomes easier to schedule more trains. This is evident in the New York City subway system, which has several trunk lines in Manhattan. Imagine trying to run all of those lines through one or two trunks?

Back to us vs. Japan, Regional Rail has flaws. It is frequently late. These failures cascade and affect more and more trains the more dense your schedule is.

So, what does Regional Rail need to get to that level? First, reliable and new rolling stock, and lots more of it. Second, it needs qualified engineers to drive the trains. SEPTA is already short about four dozen engineers right now, so adding any capacity is basically impossible until that is solved. Third, it would need a new signaling system built for train densities that we've been discussing (at this point you need to consider rush hour throughput, not just weekends).

All that might seem pretty achievable, and it is for the Main. However, when you start discussing lines like Doylestown, Warminster, etc. that have large single-track segments, it becomes much harder. Those lines need to be upgraded along with the rest of the system. In addition, you need somewhere to store the new trains, preferably outside of the city center. Most of SEPTA's yards are in Philly, which forces deadhead moves.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
When SEPTA has the capacity to run consistent trains on the Main Line, then it may be worthwhile to discuss a Girard Station. Until then it's a moot point. Even as it stands now, which trains stop at the station? Is it two island platforms allowing for all trains to stop or do you only build two outside platforms? Either way, SEPTA would have to use eminent domain to acquire the surrounding property in order to build any such station. I think two outside platforms make more sense given the constraints and the purpose of the station, but now that means you've limited which lines call there. It doesn't make sense for every local train to be on Tracks 1 & 4; it's a 4 track main for a reason.

I think the idea has merit one day but not in the near future. It's not some turnkey easy thing that SEPTA could be doing to improve service. Let's knock those out of the way first.
It provides access to the regional rail system to one of the densest parts of the city. How does that not have merit??

I also don't agree that frequency needs to be solved before even considering adding stations. RR could run every 30 seconds and it would still only be used by CC commuters because that's the only place in the city core that RR actually stops.

I hear you on the engineering challenges with that many lines running through the same tracks, but is that really more insurmountable of a challenge than a Navy Yard or Roosevelt Blvd extension? Are we really talking about a similar price tag (per additional rider) as those projects?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Exciting to see this project moving forward so quickly, and great that Phase 2 will include a life sciences component.

This project has a full circle feel to it. Philadelphia was once the nations leader in manufacturing and industry... Maybe this district (and all the University City projects) will elevate Philadelphia to the forefront for life sciences and logistics. Not an outlandish claim based on recent developments.
This is going to be more transformational than any project in the city's recent history. Not just because of all of the jobs it will bring, but because it will beautify one of the only parts of the city that people see when they come in and out of Philadelphia. And I have no doubt that Hilco will be a good steward of that property.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 12:15 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Are some of you guys paying attention to the Reimagining Regional Rail ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHal454ltAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzERvLyzvzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4E4Kw84j9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPhKaAYLRI

A lot of the points you guys are making are already being discussed, future additional stop locations, buses being better integrated with Stations, future upgrades and etc.

One of the main issues, and just like Mcgrath pointed out since he is a SEPTA TRAIN, is upgrading the infrastructure to handle running RR like multiple subway lines combined with the actually subway lines making our system a METRO SYSTEM.

SEPTA themselves said this plan will go in phases with lines that can handle the 10-15-30 minute Frequencies, while other lines get the upgrades needed to it can handle them aswell.

This is going to be a Multi-Step Multi-Year project for sure, but we will see some improvements within implantation and the future if all goes swell.

I also disagree with the need for a stop at 9th and Girard right now, yes the area can use it, but until the area densifies more, the Girard Trolley is back, and RR is fully 15 Minute headways in its central core, we are putting the cart before the horse.

Also while on Girard the other day an Ace hardware store opened up at that building right next to the 9th and Girard Tracks, on the Larrys Steaks side. Thats very good news, and telling of how much investment is happening in the area.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 5:10 AM

A New Addition, Renderings for North Broad’s Beury Building

Never would I have expected they're so bullish on the Beury building hotel that they're proposing a new 10 story adjacent addition for more rooms

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
A New Addition, Renderings for North Broad’s Beury BuildingNever would I have expected they're so bullish on the Beury building hotel that they're proposing a new 10 story adjacent addition for more rooms
I can already anticipate the online reviews — “nice hotel, but the neighborhood is scary, would not recommend walking around at all.”

Good on the developer for skating to where the puck will be, but man, this is some next-level foresight.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I can already anticipate the online reviews — “nice hotel, but the neighborhood is scary, would not recommend walking around at all.”

Good on the developer for skating to where the puck will be, but man, this is some next-level foresight.
RIP Boner4Ever, you will live on in our hearts and minds.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:01 PM

Beury building redevelopment is stunning! Hope it actually happens. Curious about the hotel's location - what's here that will draw visitors and who is their customer profile? Does Temple U Hospital attract so many out of town patients? Is this offered as a less expensive alternative to CC? Temple U. visitors? Regardless what I think, the developers have determined a hotel is viable here and of course they have much more data/info that I have, so I have faith in that (but still curious). I wish this project lots of success because it is truly a transformational project.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Beury building redevelopment is stunning! Hope it actually happens. Curious about the hotel's location - what's here that will draw visitors and who is their customer profile? Does Temple U Hospital attract so many out of town patients? Is this offered as a less expensive alternative to CC? Temple U. visitors? Regardless what I think, the developers have determined a hotel is viable here and of course they have much more data/info that I have, so I have faith in that (but still curious). I wish this project lots of success because it is truly a transformational project.
I could easily see the rooms being filled by those not only visiting Temple University Hospital, but also Shriner's. Additionally, Temple's medical and dentistry schools are in the area. The proposed hotel could easily reach capacity during graduation ceremonies. Finally, traveling nurses and doctors could utilize the hotel as a place to stay.

I have long argued that North Philly needs a hotel, specifically around Temple's campus. The only accommodation near campus is the Conwell Inn which only has so many rooms. A hotel near Temple's campus would do great business given Temple's large on-campus population.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I could easily see the rooms being filled by those not only visiting Temple University Hospital, but also Shriner's. Additionally, Temple's medical and dentistry schools are in the area. The proposed hotel could easily reach capacity during graduation ceremonies. Finally, traveling nurses and doctors could utilize the hotel as a place to stay.

I have long argued that North Philly needs a hotel, specifically around Temple's campus. The only accommodation near campus is the Conwell Inn which only has so many rooms. A hotel near Temple's campus would do great business given Temple's large on-campus population.

Yeh, there's also The Liacouras Center which has events and concerts throughout the year. I had some friends go to a concert there and stay at a hotel near the Convention Center, so this would have been a probably cheaper and more convenient option.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:58 PM

Cleaning up the blight is essential to start turning the corner and this is a big step.

From Leigh north to Erie was at one time just as busy and important to the city as anywhere in Center City. It was a cultural epicenter for the region. North Broad Station is so grand to be just laying in squalor now. It's sad to think about how busy and thriving it once was

It's been a minute since I took notice, but the city is refreshing the triangle across the street from the building.

There needs to be a real strong concerted effort to make it well-lit and safe at night at the subway station. I always think of the F*ck that's delicious episode of Philly and how they go to Max's at night.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtPmBpXGVc&t=904s

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post

I mean...you would have to have armed guards on every corner between this place and the hospital/college as part of the operating budget. That is literally ground zero in Philly.

Kudos for the optimism but unless there is a tunnel connecting the hospital and the college to this place, I'm out.

Last edited by Redddog; Nov 17, 2022 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I have long argued that North Philly needs a hotel, specifically around Temple's campus.
I agree. I think the Divine Lorraine switching to a hotel could help fill this need a bit, though still a skip away.

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Nov 17, 2022 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 5:19 PM

Apparently OCF is rehabbing/converting the Immaculate Conception church in Northern Liberties/Fishtown at 1032 N Front St into 45 units. Cool project.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20221115...N-Front-St.pdf

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 7:05 PM
Chris

Sixers lead tour of proposed 76 Place arena site, share hopes of landing zoning ordinance by June
https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixe...-20221117.html

“Once we have our zoning, we have a project,” said Adelman, the billionaire chief executive officer of Campus Apartments and developer who recently became a Sixers minority owner. “Hopefully, by June, our goal is to have this wrapped up.”

The tour began in front of the CVS drug store on 11th and Market streets, where a “We want to be a great neighbor” sign advertising the 76 Place project sits across the street from one corner of the hypothetical arena. While walking along Market toward 10th, Adelman pointed out boarded-up business space on the right and, on the left, an H&M store that his plans would cut into to create an outdoor plaza similar to the glistening Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee.

Adelman then turned left and walked under the connecting bridge toward Filbert Street, which his project would close to cars. This is where a concourse that would remain open on non-event days would be located, as well as a fresh entrance to Jefferson Station and a “back door” to the iconic Reading Terminal Market. The bus station, which had already lost its lease before the Sixers’ arena plans became public, would disappear.

“We don’t want to contribute to the problem that currently exists, that it’s dead with no energy,” Adelman said. “So this will be high-energy all the time, with retail and food.”

Adelman described his conversations with local organizations, such as the Center City Business Association, Washington Square West Civic Association and SEPTA, as “receptive” to “couldn’t be happier” about the arena plans. He has also learned that Chinatown — which sits just north of the proposed site — is a “really unique place,” because more than a dozen community groups represent its residents and employees.

He, Brown and Sixers chief diversity and inclusion officer David Gould met with more than 200 members of cultural, business and immigrant societies last weekend, where they conveyed a goal to “solidify the community instead of harm it,” Adelman said. On Wednesday, Adelman emphasized that no Chinatown businesses or residents will be displaced by the construction, and that the project could contribute capital to create affordable housing.

The “vast majority” of people Adelman has spoken to from Chinatown “are neutral-to-positive” about the proposal, with one vocal detractor.

Adelman has pitched how creating a buzzing entertainment district — with restaurants, bars and stores flanking the corners of the arena — can improve public safety and cleanliness in an area he called a “mecca for violence.” The Sixers have been collaborating with Maureen Rush, the recently retired Penn vice president of public safety who was instrumental in the transformation of University City. Simple solutions, such as uniform wall lighting, prominently placed security cameras and regular street sweeping can create security — and pride — in a neighborhood, Rush and Adelman agreed.

“It’s the chicken and the egg [philosophy],” said Rush, who called the arena site’s surrounding area a “ghost town” after 9 p.m. “If people don’t feel safe, they won’t walk the streets. If they don’t walk the streets, it feels unsafe. … This project is going to light it up.”

Traffic and parking has been an understandable concern for locals, Adelman said. Yet he believes the approximately 20% of attendees who take public transit to Sixers games in South Philly will increase to 50% at the new location’s larger transportation hub that could be compared to Boston’s TD Garden and adjacent train station. For those who choose to drive, Adelman said 4,500 parking spaces inside 29 garages within a 10-minute walk of the arena will be available — and geolocated through the app that also houses event tickets.

Zoning nuances also make the Sixers believe this is the city’s best chance to revitalize a declining area. If this project does not pan out, Adelman said, another developer could buy the property and “build a Liberty Place-[style] building on each of the three blocks [of the Fashion District] … walk in with a permit, over the counter, and not have to give any of the community groups anything.”

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 7:17 PM

I'm all onboard with this now, and I have some inside knowledge that it is seriously moving forward. Awesome.

Still hate Campus Apartments though.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Cleaning up the blight is essential to start turning the corner and this is a big step.

From Leigh north to Erie was at one time just as busy and important to the city as anywhere in Center City. It was a cultural epicenter for the region. North Broad Station is so grand to be just laying in squalor now. It's sad to think about how busy and thriving it once was

While I don't doubt that this was an active intersection, the density in that area at the time wouldn't create such a pedestrian crush. There must have been some type of event.

Edit - back in the 1930/40s, I don't know if work let out like school would let out, i.e. everyone empties out of an office building at exactly the same time. I suppose that could explain it as well.

Last edited by PHL10; Nov 17, 2022 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Zoning nuances also make the Sixers believe this is the city’s best chance to revitalize a declining area. If this project does not pan out, Adelman said, another developer could buy the property and “build a Liberty Place-[style] building on each of the three blocks [of the Fashion District] … walk in with a permit, over the counter, and not have to give any of the community groups anything.”
[/I]
1-I'm a fan of the proposal.

2-I'd very much like to see Chinatown remain as vibrant as it currently is.

3-I don't necessarily see how an arena puts that area at jeopardy more so than a 'high-end mall' would have (assuming the Fashion District came off as well as they originally hoped'. I don't think an arena means game over for Chinatown.

That said, pretty tacky veiled threat at the end....choose us or a big building and gentrification will take over!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development