HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I stopped worrying about those things since I sold off my three oil pumpjacks. The selfish goggles were suddenly swept away. I also realized that complaining about strawman lazy people while boasting about traveling the world in style makes a person start sounding like a modern day Marie Antoinette. Roger Waters had a lot to say about creeping fascism and imperial capitalism:

Quote:
And so I think The Wall allows us to focus our attention on a fundamental question, which would be whether or not we want to live in societies that are very, very similar to East Germany before Perestroika, should I say. I mean, I’m not going to go back to the 1930s because I should get into terrible trouble, but I think people are just beginning, as they sleepwalk their way through imperial capitalism, to realize the law is being eroded and the military are taking over commerce and the corporations are taking over government and that we the people no longer have a voice. To some extent, The Wall is asking the question, “Do you want a voice? And if you do, you better bloody well go out and get it because it’s not going to be handed to you on a plate.”
-Roger Waters https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...t-album-53352/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:08 PM
sick transit, gloria

I kinda want to make a parody libertarian twitter account and use Doug's posts verbatim. It's better comedy than most of what's out there!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:47 PM

I've vented some of this one here before just as a release, a dedicated thread is a good idea.

I was supposed to get married. That's been delayed but nothing is certain next year either. I purposefully went for a short engagement to try to avoid the long drawn out process of wedding planning - oh well.

My brother moved in with us for what was supposed to be a short term, get his feet back under him 6 months or so. Covid lockdown, and then the insane house market, have stretched that to 15 months. It's a continual strain on my relationship since he and my finacee have not always gotten along the best. They're good now but there's still a bit of eggshell-walking. And frankly, I just want to live with my fiancee again instead of this "three roommates" situation.

My finacee is completely isolated from her family. Mom and aunts in Halifax, dad in NYC, brother in Hawaii. Can't visit anyone without hefty self-isolation burdens all around. The feeling of isolation is elevated by all of my family living nearby. She's close to saying fuck it and leaving for Halifax regardless of what her work (or even me) thinks about it.

I've had some of my own encounters with feelings of depression. Which is pretty new for me. Still not sure what to make of it. I can be having a good day, then suddenly need to go break down somewhere without even really knowing why.

My rugby season was cancelled, starting with a tournament in Nashville in March. It's not a high level or anything, but I'm 26 this year and am starting to realize my playing days are going to be limited very soon. I resent losing what should have a season in my prime. It's the primary facet of my social life in the summers.

My grandfather has come down with 2 or 3 types of cancer. It's been incredibly frustrating trying to get any form of diagnosis - they still aren't 100% sure if it even is cancer in his arm. He's 92, and ideally we would all be spending as much time with him as we can. But we can't because of covid. We have no timeline expectation, although he seems to be doing better with whatever medication they've given him and he has a nurse visit a couple times a week to help out.

My other grandfather is in a care home with severe Parkinson's and dementia. Which was extremely worrying when covid was sweeping through care homes. That seems stable, but the ongoing isolation has been very hard on my grandmother. He just turned 80 and there was no party or get together or hardly any mention of it. I called my grandmother to talk but my grandfather can't really communicate anymore. So can't talk to him, can't see him.... it's like he's gone without actually being gone.

Early on in the spring, I can't remember if was pre lockdown or not, new neighbours moved in. They have a pack of un-watched children and have now become the neighbourhood hangout spot, constantly riding bikes and scooters all over the street and much too close to my vehicles. I try not be a grumpy old man who hates fun, kids should play, but it's gone as far as tresspassing in my yard, climbing in my trucks, grabbing onto UPS trucks as the drive by, and refusing to move bike ramps out of the street. I now kinda hate my street.

The good:
WFH is nice. Work has rolled it back to just two days a week. I'm not actually worried about the virus in my workplace or anything but it's still annoying to have to give it up. But overall my workplace has handled everything very well, and I'm grateful to have the job I do. They've earned some loyalty points from me.

My fiancee was laid off for 8 weeks or so, but we got CERB pretty quickly and did not suffer any real financial hardship, thankfully.

In fact, we saved enough money for us both to get into some new hobbies. I bought my dream truck to restore (so now I have no more money )

The rugby club has actually been more social than previously, I think we'll have a real increase in team cohesion next year.

Idk, I just want things to be "normal", but I know somethings never will be. And some things that have come back, still aren't the same. Sure, the bars are open, but you still can't really just have a carefree night out. There's still a sense of not being able to go anywhere or do anything.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Idk, I just want things to be "normal", but I know somethings never will be. And some things that have come back, still aren't the same.
I've had this thought cross my mind a few times... I wonder what will disappear from Canadian society as a result of all of this? I suspect that there are a lot of older traditions or institutions that are just barely 'hanging on', and this will do many of them in. But it's hard to tell exactly which ones.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Ugh, me too. Add to that people who walk three across, blocking the sidewalk or worse, dual-use path.
Argh!! This!! We have gone for several walks recently where we moved to the shoulder of the bike path to allow people to pass us with a wider berth and each time they refused to move over even though there was tons of room and walked directly past us within inches. Every time it has been two older ladies in their 50's-60's walking side by side. I don't know if they're oblivious, or stupid or assholes but it is incredibly annoying.

Also joggers are the absolute worst. Refuse to move over even when you are pushing a stroller and have limited mobility to move onto grassy areas.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Argh!! This!! We have gone for several walks recently where we moved to the shoulder of the bike path to allow people to pass us with a wider berth and each time they refused to move over even though there was tons of room and walked directly past us within inches. Every time it has been two older ladies in their 50's-60's walking side by side. I don't know if they're oblivious, or stupid or assholes but it is incredibly annoying.

Also joggers are the absolute worst. Refuse to move over even when you are pushing a stroller and have limited mobility to move onto grassy areas.
Cough on them as they pass. My patience is gone now. Walking, biking, or driving I follow the rules and refuse to adjust. Missus in a minivan thinks she needs both lanes to make a right-hand turn, take the side out of my car if you want I’m not moving a fucking inch. Walker on her phone not paying any attention, welcome to my shoulder, I’m as far right as I can go.

Obviously exaggerating but... yeah. Fuck everyone and everything lol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:42 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I have it way better than many, and I feel a lot of sympathy for the struggles expressed by many SSP forumers on this thread. That having been said, the last 6 months have been shitty. Moving suddenly to online only teaching (try doing this when it is graduate students and a seminar format, as opposed to undergrad lectures, which is more straightforward albeit difficult). Both kids at home all day, everyday. Having to home school the kids while maintaining research, editing, and administrative duties (I have a lot of both, especially the former), with many more technological challenges...well it was just really inefficient. All my conferences were moved online or cancelled, which meant shitcanning planned trips to Marseille, Toulouse, Montreal, Seoul, and Budapest. Stuck toiling in my basement office for 75 hours/week, with few chances at any personal contact (except the indeterminate, endless zoom meetings); wife getting stir crazy, kids pissed off about their entire summer being ruined.

I had to take Covid very seriously as I have elderly parents on my side (my mom, who has been in Cancer surgery 4 times this year [my dad passed 11 years ago, cancer too]; wife's parents, of which one has cancer and the other is nearly 90 and very weak). One of my brothers lost his job so he went back to trying to pickle himself to death with alcohol, and I figure he's got a 50:50 chance of making it through the next few years. My other brother is just a batshit crazy conspiracy theorist, who argues about every single damned thing that there is to have an opinion about (who first believed that this was the implementation of the gov'ts plan to "kill us all", and later, believed the whole thing to be a hoax, undoubtedly cooked up by the Bilderburg group). One of my best friends lost his father to Covid.

But we have it pretty good, all things considered. Big house, big yard with in-ground pool. I put in a fire pit. We are on the edge of town, so it is easy to get out to nature for hiking. I did a ton of cooking; my wife went big into gardening, and the house has never looked so good. My job is secure, and I got a coveted new research position.
Sorry to hear about your family and insane work schedule. Wingnut family members going down the conspiracy rabbit hole are becoming a universal problem it seems. Hopefully your other brother gets some help for his drinking. Scary about vulnerable parents too.

Incredibly jealous though of your large yard and pool. We live in a townhouse with a toddler bouncing off the walls and I would kill for a yard right about now. Having a younger child poses all kinds of challenges and burns you out, but I can really sympathize with you and any parents who have had to homeschool and or decide whether or not to send the kids back to school. Also must be hard when they want to see their friends and go out.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Cough on them as they pass. My patience is gone now. Walking, biking, or driving I follow the rules and refuse to adjust. Missus in a minivan thinks she needs both lanes to make a right-hand turn, take the side out of my car if you want I’m not moving a fucking inch. Walker on her phone not paying any attention, welcome to my shoulder, I’m as far right as I can go.

Obviously exaggerating but... yeah. Fuck everyone and everything lol
I'd love to cough on them or make a witty comment but every single time it catches me off guard. They always seem like they're about to move and then don't. My wife makes comments and they seem completely oblivious. Considering carrying an electric cattle prod or a stick from now on. Or maybe just shouting "2 Meters!" as a warning before they pass.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

There is no shortage of assholes, and thousands more are being minted daily. How else can one explain the election of the orange shitgibbon?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:07 PM
I am the law!

And our despotic trust fund baby was elected to a second term. Sure it's a minority government but, the pandemic has given him the opportunity to run things like a dictator. His methods are different than Trump relying on crocodile tears to appease Canadian bleeding hearts than ingrained racism. He's just as unethical with his business opportunities and fires anyone with a counter opinion particular if they have indoor plumbing.

Strollers are so massive nowadays. It's not all the parents fault when they block passage with a vehicle that is nearly as wide as the sidewalk. They are to blame for buying these SUV baby carriers.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

are you trying to equate the malignancy of Trump's leadership to that of Trudeau?
jesus christ.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
And our despotic trust fund baby was elected to a second term. Sure it's a minority government but, the pandemic has given him the opportunity to run things like a dictator. His methods are different than Trump relying on crocodile tears to appease Canadian bleeding hearts than ingrained racism. He's just as unethical with his business opportunities and fires anyone with a counter opinion particular if they have indoor plumbing.

Strollers are so massive nowadays. It's not all the parents fault when they block passage with a vehicle that is nearly as wide as the sidewalk. They are to blame for buying these SUV baby carriers.
"Despotic Trust Fund Baby"

You should get that out on a tshirt.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Last I checked we don’t have a preventable death toll of 200k people. Also fail to see the comparison to anti-science, racist, $300 million in debt to shady oligarchs Trump.

Quote:
So I am as much to blame as a jogger who could easily go around us onto the grass but refuses or is simply too focused on their music to notice or care about anyone in their surroundings?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
are you trying to equate the malignancy of Trump's leadership to that of Trudeau?
jesus christ.
Yeah, it did seem a tad exaggerated.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:38 PM
Fake News

Add this to the list:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7362921/c...properly-worn/

I see this almost everywhere I go. It’s especially frustrating when it’s a retail worker or someone that you have to interact with. The other one is plastic face visors. Somehow people think it’s the same thing as a mask.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:43 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
2020 has reinforced my mounting misanthropy through suspicions that too many people:
-expect others to solve their problems
-are too eager to scam governments and employers
-carry too much personal debt to handle black swans
-are overly concerned with what other people are doing (like wearing masks)
-fail to challenge the assertions of leaders

Maybe I've been listening to too much Roger Waters era Pink Floyd

-
It must be hard being a Conservative Libertarian during a pandemic. Dealing with it requires all the things that they abhor: common sense, science, cooperation, the greater good, collective action, selflessness, regard for others and government intervention.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 30, 2020 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Add this to the list:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7362921/c...properly-worn/

I see this almost everywhere I go. It’s especially frustrating when it’s a retail worker or someone that you have to interact with. The other one is plastic face visors. Somehow people think it’s the same thing as a mask.
we have to wear these at work. I don't know how useful they are.

amazon.com

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
we have to wear these at work. I don't know how useful they are.

amazon.com
Probably worthless. Don’t know why people spend money on these things. Surely a mask is cheaper?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
It must be hard being a Conservative Libertarian during a pandemic. Dealing with it requires all the things that they abhor: common sense, science, cooperation, the greater good, collective action, selflessness, regard for others and government intervention.
OOOOOh snap

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
In fact, we saved enough money for us both to get into some new hobbies. I bought my dream truck to restore (so now I have no more money )
Some of us really want to know what it is! Pictures would be even better

I almost bought a 1956 F-100 last year that didn't even need that much of a restoration... it was quite cheap, but sold to someone else while I was hesitating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada