HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:43 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
You say "cost prohibitive," I say "scared to spend money"... potato/potato.
Ha. Funny.

That is an apples-to-oranges comparison. "Cost prohibitive" and "scared to spend" are mutually exclusive. You must rally know that and are simply pulling my leg...I hope.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Ha. Funny.

That is an apples-to-oranges comparison. "Cost prohibitive" and "scared to spend" are mutually exclusive. You must rally know that and are simply pulling my leg...I hope.
Actually, they're NOT mutually exclusive. On the contrary, they're very likely the same. If a project does NOT look feasible on paper (running the numbers etc.) then an investor would be wise to avoid it, or scared off. No?

The only companies that consistently build the very tall towers in "ANYtown USA" outside of NYC are financial firms, at least up until recently. Suddenly, it appears they're into the diversification and relocation game too. Look at Charlotte, where it was cheap for banks to camp and hire talent off each other for decades. It's been a great alternative to NYC and SF. But even now, those firms are both fewer in number and learning that their employees are 'backroom' and can work from home or a warehouse building in the burbs or even worse, offshored. Even Wall Street is seeing an exodus. The forces that built the tall towers in midsized cities like Charlotte are now going to lowrise buildings in cornfields and smaller cities where it truly is cheaper.

For the next decade, the taller towers - and they won't be the tallest in those cities - will be cities with the strongest and biggest downtown population growth. Nashville falls right in there, but those buildings won't be 40-60 story office towers.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 3:08 PM

^Also, a lot of the tall towers in Charlotte were historically built by homegrown companies. To be honest, we might not see another 600 ft+ building after Duke Energy II for while unless there's a major relocation.

Edit: Even if some companies start to build elsewhere, there's always gonna be a demand for talent-cluster cities. Because professionals tend to job-hop to boost their salary. I see it all the time here.

Last edited by Rhodium; Oct 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 11:33 PM
Nashville born and raised

As I've always noted, the strong point regarding Nashville's skyline is not so much it's height, but it's breadth. As the screen cap below shows, the urban high-rise area is 25 blocks long stretching into a booming Midtown/Music Row/Vanderbilt district.

Video Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiW0A5i6OU

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:42 PM

^Wow!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
To me personally this is not the best news. I live in the Nashville metro area and have been ecstatic over the growth Nashville has experienced. Being born in the 50s, I remember when for years the LC tower was the focal point of downtown. Then we got the batman and again went though a long period of not much activity. Sometime during the Bredesen administration things really took off. Obviously the last several years have been phenomenal. However, in my opinion, the skyline is starting to flatten out. These clusters developing around the lower Broadway area ( SoBro, The Gulch, Midtown, etc.. and even The Yards ) are starting to pull the eye away from the center of downtown because we are sort of stuck in this range of medium tall buildings. My personal opinion is that Nashville needs to break the 700 to 800 foot barrier soon or it runs the risk of becoming SanDiego, Vancouver, etc... These are beautiful cities but moving around them you sort of lose the sense of their true depth of development because without those sky piercing towers like many cities have in the center I believe you lose that wow/majestic sort of feel that should exemplify the status due a large, important, city. Does anyone else agree, or do you think I am making something out of nothing? I hope that I live long enough to see the skyline pulled back to the center with one or two marquee structures. No disrespect to anyone meant to anyone living anywhere else intended.
I agree. I love Vancouver and it's a city that for a long time its tallest buildings were primarily in the 20, 25, 30 story range with some 40 story and I believe one 50 story building. While there are some absolutely beautiful vistas of Vancouver, it did appear to be very horizontal even with as many towers as they have. However, in the last 5-10 years, there's been some additions to their skyline that are in the 60+ story category and more buildings in the 45+ story range. Those additions have added drastically to their skyline in that it caused me to be drawn to several focal points and examine their skyline from various perspectives.

Should developers really be concerned about that when building in Nashville? Probably not. I wish that they would . But, I just don't see that happening. Mind you, Nashville's skyline is far better than it's ever been and I can see buildings in the 20, 30, 40 story range at the truck stop property off I-24 adding to the skyline in a way in which it's not clustered with downtown and should provide a nice view as you drive south beyond the I-65/I-24 split. As you travel north bound on 1-24 and as you cross over the Cumberland, the addition of towers along I-24 will give more depth to the skyline and draw your eyes into different areas. The stadium want be the primary focal point. It'll be even more expansive if the River North development comes to fruition the way that it has been designed to include multiple 20 to 30 story buildings.

I don't see Nashville getting an office building that will be in the 50, 60 or 70 story range anytime soon. As already stated by someone else, most companies just aren't interested in those size buildings anymore unless they intend to get into the office leasing business. If any company that is locating in Nashville was going to do that it would have been Amazon. But they chose to go with two 20+ story buildings instead. Hotel wise Nashville is probably going to level off with major hotel construction. Especially luxury brands that tend to lean towards tall structures. So, I don't see a hotel announcing a 50 to 60 story property in Nashville. Hope I'm wrong. So, that leaves residential. Should Nashville continue to grow population wise and should the city continue to promote downtown living, that is probably where Nashville might see a major tower or two in the 50 - 60 story range. Which brings me back to Vancouver, their tallest building is a mixed use building that is 62 stories and 659 feet. The first 15 floors are a hotel and remaining floors are condo's. The second tallest is 63 floors and 616 feet, but it's all hotel. So, I think Nashville's future tallest is going to be a mix use tower or all residential. The question is where will it be, should that happen? The downtown core is unlikely, unless it happens in Nashville Yards. Sobro and the eastern edge of Mid-town are the mostly likely locations.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:44 PM

I think Nashville's future can be seen more in my former hometown, Austin, than other cities. So many similarities, and it has seen several very tall residential towers of late. One difference between them, is Nashville has a much more substantial midtown, which has siphoned some of the development that would have maybe been downtown. Then, Austin has the university campus area, which is becoming its own 'midtown'.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post

However, I don't think we should let our admiration for skyscrapers make us lose sight of what is really important. A nice skyline is fun to have.
I moved to Nashville in 1997, right after the arena was completed. Most of the downtown entertainment was on Second Ave., not Broadway. In fact Broadway was pretty sleepy. The Korean Vets bridge wasn't there and that street hadn't been widened and that traffic circle hadn't been built. There was nothing of note over in that area other than a few strip clubs. It was impossible to imagine that the Greyhound Station would be replaced 20 years later with hotel towers.

I think the sale of the Beaman car dealership property is a big, big deal. Not only will it enable the walkable gap to be closed between downtown and Vanderbilt, it also removes a prominent anti-transit force from the equation.

I think that Nashville needs to move toward limiting vehicular access to the downtown after the pandemic. The light rail subway plan needs to come back and it needs to be even bigger, adding a second subway line under West End and Broadway, under the river, and to the stadium and East Nashville.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:41 PM

I don't have a plan to relieve the congestion because I'm not an engineer or city planner but something is definitely going to have to be done to address increasing traffic into Nashville's central core. A top notch public transport system seems best to me. I suspect the problem will become larger than a bus system can handle.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
This Oxblue cam gives a good view of the excavation for the Live at Nashville Yards entertainment district.

The buildings will line up like this...

According to the Nashville Post (behind paywall but quoted on Urban Planet) the developers of the AEG project are in a holding pattern until the Corona Virus Pandemic eases up...per NP/UP

Quote:
“We have elected to pause briefly before proceeding to the next phase of construction," Roth said. "With the continued significant impacts of the COVID pandemic on our business and the economy more generally, we believe that the prospects for successful completion and opening of this exciting project will be best served by waiting until we are emerging from the pandemic before proceeding with the next phase. We do not have a definitive timetable yet, but expect that conditions will allow for a start of vertical construction sometime in 2021.”
A recent construction cam view of the site..

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
According to the Nashville Post (behind paywall but quoted on Urban Planet) the developers of the AEG project are in a holding pattern until the Corona Virus Pandemic eases up...per NP/UP

Well, at least the property is nice and tidy. Hope it drains well. we don't need this to become the next man made lake like Lake Palmer before Broad West took over.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I supposed we should not be surprised as several projects in Nashville appear to be delayed due to the pandemic/economic problems. In particular, AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group) makes their money by owning and managing major arenas and entertainment districts (including the Staples Center and surrounding development in Los Angeles) around the world, so the shutdown of tours and events has hit them hard. It should not be too surprising they want to wait for things (revenue streams) to improve.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:23 PM

A few random construction pictures from today.

Some new renderings BTW.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
I supposed we should not be surprised as several projects in Nashville appear to be delayed due to the pandemic/economic problems. In particular, AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group) makes their money by owning and managing major arenas and entertainment districts (including the Staples Center and surrounding development in Los Angeles) around the world, so the shutdown of tours and events has hit them hard. It should not be too surprising they want to wait for things (revenue streams) to improve.
Such a shame.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
A few random construction pictures from today.

Some new renderings BTW.

It’s not often that the actual buildings look as impressive as the renderings but to me Broadwest is already outshining the renderings. I thing Four Seasons will as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
It’s not often that the actual buildings look as impressive as the renderings but to me Broadwest is already outshining the renderings. I thing Four Seasons will as well.
The Broadwest brings a lot to the city as it not only adds 35 floors of a five star hotel and luxury condos to the Midtown district along with a quality, 20 story office building, it also presents an imposing presence on 'The Split' where Broadway and West End diverge and gives a big city feel to that area. The Broadwest is in the distance. Another rising residential tower is in the foreground.

The "Split' has a couple of 25 story residential towers proposed to add to the high rise density along with the 26 story Greystar apartments a block away.

Another view of the area...

And an older pp slide...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Nov 8, 2020 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 12:40 AM

Not skyscraper news, however.....

Quote:
Report: Raptors look into playing next season in Newark. Or Nashville. Or Tampa Bay.

The Raptors would like to play next season in Toronto. However, travel from the United States to Canada is currently restricted — including a 14-day quarantine — and, considering the increase in positive tests in the USA recently, those restrictions could remain for a while.

That has the Raptors considering a stateside residence for next season, especially if the season starts Dec. 22. Newark, the former home of the New Jersey Nets, is an option, reports Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News. He also lists other possible stops.
Are you sure, Toronto? The Nashville covid petri dish from last Labor Day.....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Not skyscraper news, however.....

Are you sure, Toronto? The Nashville covid petri dish from last Labor Day.....

Toronto is considering Nashville as a temporary home during the pandemic. A sports talk show in the DC metro area mentioned that the NBA is supposedly assisting the team in finding a U.S. location to play next season due to the virus. it was also mentioned on the NBA channel. They also said that the NBA could be gearing Toronto towards cities that are possible future expansion cities for the NBA to test interest in those markets. They also said that the NBA declined to comment on that subject. I doubt Newark would be on the NBA's expansion lists of cities. Nashville is said to be. I would imagine that Las Vegas would be added to that list as well.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:28 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I would imagine that Las Vegas would be added to that list as well.
While Vegas would be a great NBA city, I would think the travel required for an Eastern Conference team would make that untenable.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:56 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
While Vegas would be a great NBA city, I would think the travel required for an Eastern Conference team would make that untenable.
In a permanent relocation, you'd probably see a team from the West (Memphis, New Orleans, or OKC move to the East, and then some slight shuffling within the Eastern Divisions to hold a geographical tie...DC moves to the Atlantic and one of the western teams moves to the Southeast).

It would certainly be a headache as far as travel time for the Raptors traveling back east in a season where they're temporarily relocated to Vegas. That's probably why Newark makes the most sense for a temporary home. 60 to 90 additional minutes per flight may not seem like much, but doing that multiple times would add up. The only solution would be extended road trips for 2 to 3 weeks (similar to the Spurs' rodeo road trip each February).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations