HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The "milk runs" are absolutely brutal. Few people who can drive are going to get on that bus.

The city needs high-frequency "backbone" routes with a dedicated ROW, ideally implemented using something like automated light rail that would get past the bottlenecks on the peninsula. This would allow the suburban routes to be simplified and would result in dramatically higher levels of service. People living on the peninsula could also use the route to get around reliably without a car. Transit-oriented development near stations would generate lots of income for the city, offsetting the cost.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The "milk runs" are absolutely brutal. Few people who can drive are going to get on that bus.

The city needs high-frequency "backbone" routes with a dedicated ROW, ideally implemented using something like automated light rail that would get past the bottlenecks on the peninsula. This would allow the suburban routes to be simplified and would result in dramatically higher levels of service. People living on the peninsula could also use the route to get around reliably without a car. Transit-oriented development near stations would generate lots of income for the city, offsetting the cost.
Any interest in running for Mayor? You have my vote. LOL

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Any interest in running for Mayor? You have my vote. LOL
Hell no. .

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 8:48 PM

C'mon, I'd vote for you Someone.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 9:00 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hell no. .
Come on! Everybody loves your ideas.

Even on council you would be able to dispell most of the bullshit that gets discussed.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 4:15 PM

i don't mind the milk run route then again i will only be going to MSVU from larry uteck to go to work if i wanna go anywhere else me and my gf take her car lol.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 4:56 PM

I don't mind it either. This new route has a better way of getting downtown than the 80, 81 or 82.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 7:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Even on council you would be able to dispell most of the bullshit that gets discussed.
But part of the problem is that councillors have their own agendas. Many of them know that what they say is bullshit. They're not just waiting for somebody to come along with a better argument. I think some could be convinced of various things but it would take a lot of convincing to produce even modest results.

To be a councillor you also have to get the job. Running is a pain and victory is not guaranteed. The pay isn't great and for me it would involve sacrificing another career. I think this is why the quality of candidates is kind of suspect. How many professionals would gamble for such a mediocre prize?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:02 AM

It is very hard to get elected to HRM Council in most cases. It takes a lot of screwing up for an incumbent to get defeated, first of all. So unless the incumbent chooses not to reoffer you have a tough slog. And if the incumbent does step down, you usually have a horde of people running which makes it tough to win also.

Then you look at who wins and is on council. There are virtually no working professionals on council - the one I am unsure of is Outhit, I dunno his background. You have some self-employed or family business types (Streatch, Mosher, Fisher), a bunch of retirees, and a bunch of community activist/volunteer types. It seems to get elected you need to be involved in minor hockey or soccer, various community/school groups, or otherwise have some kind of profile in the area, even though it may have zero to do with your qualifications to be a councillor. Basically if you have a lot of spare time and can go out an promote yourself by attending lots of events you have no real interest in, you stand a good chance to get yourself elected. The other way is to align yourself with a provincial party organization - Jim Smith did that originally when he first got elected, due to the ability of the NDP machine to deliver votes in north-end Dartmouth. Now his allegiances have changed of course, but he is an incumbent and tough to remove.

And then you have Peter Kelly, whose only career has been as a politician. He had a handful of dead-end jobs when he was younger and got elected as a councillor in Bedford, but he has no qualifications that would let him earn an income anything like he is making now, which is probably a big part of why he is clinging to his job so desperately.

When you consider what we have seen at council of late, it is no surprise considering how those people got there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:52 AM

New skyline pictures from today (photos by me);

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 3:29 AM

Update for Hemlock Square.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/en/lease_f...n.aspx?PID=131

Sobeys 50,700 Sq. Ft. OPEN

Dollarama 10,000 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TD Bank 5,122 Sq. Ft. OPEN

Goodlife Fitness 24,020 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fast Fuels/Needs 2,500 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Royal Bank 4,550 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lawtons Drugs 21,700 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Magicuts 1,200 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. N. Brothers Dentistry 3,500 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Plus Shopper's Drug Mart Across the Boulevard

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 4:05 PM

So much parking I wish there were more stores there, the parking lots take up 80% of the land...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 5:05 AM

Some photos from today;

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 7:52 PM

On June 23rd (2011) Northwest Community Council APPROVED Case 16877.

This proposal is only a minor change to the Nine Mile Drive neighbourhood. It allows for townhouses to be built instead of single-family houses on a cul-de-sac off of the Armenia Drive extension.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:37 AM

Updates for the Royal Bank of Canada and Dentistry Building (next door). As always photos by me;

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 5:14 PM

Updates from the weekend (all photos by me):

420 Larry Uteck Blvd:

Gardens Luxury III:

396/402 Larry Uteck Blvd:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 6:46 PM

Update for Hemlock Square.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/en/lease_f...n.aspx?PID=131

Sobeys 50,700 Sq. Ft. OPEN

Dollarama 10,000 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TD Bank 5,122 Sq. Ft. OPEN

Goodlife Fitness 24,020 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fast Fuels/Needs 2,500 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Royal Bank 4,550 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lawtons Drugs 21,700 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pet Valu 2'800 Sq Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Magicuts 1,200 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. N. Brothers Dentistry 3,500 Sq. Ft. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Plus Shopper's Drug Mart Across the Boulevard

Also Southgate Village (U/C Southgate @ Larry Uteck) has announced two new tenants for the upper floor of the building;

Oxford Learning - 1'570 Sq. Ft

Platform - 3'160 Sq. Ft

Information Source: http://www.borisholdings.com/SouthgateVillage.htm

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:31 PM

6th consecutive post in a row WOOHOO!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:40 PM

Actually make that my 7th consecutive post ...

The remaining lands in Bedford South are now moving forward for approval. These lands are 82 acres in size and are situated between the current ends of Starboard Drive. They are owned by Emcoste and if approved in its current form all uses will be residential surrounded by a large amount of parkland.

"The applicant has requested to enter in to a development agreement (legal contract) to permit a residential development on the approximately 82 acre (33.2ha) site. The proposal is to permit 115 single unit dwellings, 45 townhousesand 224 multiple unit dwelling units. The proposal also includes a large amount of parkland."

Information Source: Case 17082 Information Page on halifax.ca

The concept plans can be viewed in the links below;

Case 17082 Details
Concept East
Concept West
Land Use Plan
Park and Open Space Plan
Phasing Plan
Sidewalk and Trail Plan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's very low density -- 1157 units per square kilometre. This whole development is a pretty big mess, and it seems like the only major concern was over density and road capacity, which is analogous to worrying only about height on the peninsula.

Limiting density is definitely not going to fix traffic problems. It will make things worse because everybody will drive more. More roadway will be required per capita so it will be more expensive. Good transit service to these new areas simply will not be viable. The city can't afford to send a bus through 5 km of road every 10 minutes all day long to serve a couple thousand people, so they won't. They will send the bus through maybe every half hour and it will be a pain so everybody will drive if they can. As for the poor, elderly, disabled, teenagers, etc., well, have fun waiting 30 minutes out in the cold!

In the future Halifax will be even more screwed because energy prices will rise and the city will have buses while other cities have (automated) electric trains that can run more efficiently on any power source that can be hooked up to the grid. Oh well.

Last edited by someone123; Jul 29, 2011 at 7:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs