HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

399 Fremont Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 9:38 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | Transbay blocks 6/7 | 300 FT / 91 M

A project consisting of a 300' tower, three 50'-85' midrises and some 40' townhomes has been selected for blocks 6/7 of the Transbay redevelopment area in downtown SF.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...mont.html#more

Quote:
As we first reported yesterday, the winning proposal to develop Transbay Block 6/7, from Folsom Street to Clementina Alley and Fremont to Beale, includes a 300-foot tower on the corner of Folsom and Fremont, 40-foot townhomes along Clementina, and three 50 to 85-foot mid-rise buildings on Fremont, Beal, and Folsom.

In total, 545 residential units (a mix of market-rate and subsidized), 10,000 square feet of ground floor retail and 136 undergrounding parking spaces will be built on the site with multiple green roof gardens and decks above, parks and a mid-block paseo below.

Designed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz, the tower will leverage prevailing winds to naturally ventilate and cool the tower without air conditioning.
some more details on the units:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...emont_and.html

Quote:
In total, 545 residential units will rise on the site: 348 market-rate units, 61 below market rate, and 136 subsidized affordable units which will be developed by Mercy Housing California. The average unit size will be 715 square feet. And in terms of parking, 136 spaces in total, a ratio of .25 spaces per unit, less than half the ratio of any other proposal.

The "sky gardens":

It'll even have fancy smart-phone controlled window blinds:

The site as it looks currently:

I think this thing is pretty good looking. Definitely one of the more attractive glass boxes I've seen.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
Sonoma Strong

Very cool.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:44 AM
heavy user of walkability

life sign

socketsite blurbed about this today

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:14 PM
Chairman

Townhomes? I thought townhomes were for the suburbs? Unless "townhomes" have a different definition along the west coast.

At least it is great to see development on an asphalt surface lot.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 3:13 PM

Is this the site of the temporary transbay terminal?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Is this the site of the temporary transbay terminal?
No, it's across Beale street from it. The temporary terminal is on blocks 2, 3, and 4:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 5:34 PM

Looks like this may happen sooner rather than later

John King says construction may begin October 1:

Quote:
Yes, even more cranes are on the way. Construction should begin Oct. 1 on a 300-foot residential tower at Folsom and Fremont streets, due west of the temporary bus terminal (still the best piece of pop-up urbanism I know, by the way). Developer Golub Real Estate paid $30 million for the land, which helps fund construction of the transit center, and the market-rate tower will be accompanied by a low-rise block of affordable apartments by Mercy Housing.
Checking the permit database, they've already been issued the construction permit, so it looks like this is just pending the official transfer of the land.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:01 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Good to hear. This will be the first block of the new and improved Folsom St. experience with broader sidewalks, trees, etc. This stretch of Folsom will be utterly unrecognizable from its current state in a few years.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:11 PM

Good news. Folsom and that entire part of SOMA really will be an entirely different world in several years. And It's already changed considerably since the 90s.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 4:19 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Townhomes? I thought townhomes were for the suburbs? Unless "townhomes" have a different definition along the west coast.
The way I understand the phrase, it means individual units with two or three levels. It's a good way to add value to the units at the base of a tower, which don't offer good views like tower units generally do.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 7:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Today, Curbed posted a bunch of new renderings I've never seen before:

This gives an indication of how much more pedestrian-friendly this stretch of Folsom will be:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:36 PM

Curbed posted the wrong renderings for Blocks 6/7. Those are from the BAR/Grosvenor Proposal. The winning bid was Golub/Mercy with architect Solomon Cordwell Buenz. The rendering at the top of the thread is correct.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:42 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I was wondering why a scoop like that was presented so low-key and under the radar. Thanks for the correction. I'll go ahead and leave them up for historical purposes, knowing they are not current.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:14 AM

It's October now, but it doesn't seem like they've started yet. The Permit database shows that Cahill is still waiting for the excavation and shoring permit.

In the meantime, here is a description and construction schedule posted by Cahill:

Quote:
The Transbay Block 6 project consists of combined market rate and affordable apartments with basement level parking, retail shell space, and amenity areas. The buildings include one 32-story tower, one 8-story midrise, and 7 townhouse units, with one level below grade.
  • October 2013 - Start Construction
  • July 2015 - Complete Project

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 5:32 PM
THAT Guy

From the architect's website

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The BAR/Grosvenor proposal is so much more imaginative than the Solomon Cordwell Buenz one. Not that the Solomon Cordwell Buenz one is necessarily bad, it's just not as imaginative.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
From the architect's website
Oh man, value engineered.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 1:56 AM
She needs her space

I'm not so sure it is. The Bar rendering below looks like it could be awesome, but it also gives me the impression that it has a lot of room to be value-engineered with cheap materials, both on the tower and on the middle/low-rise portion. The newest renderings look almost a little like the St. Regis, which I think is an attractive building. The windows have those same sort of inserts and I can tell that those floor to ceiling corner windows in the rendering will look so much better in reality than in the rendering. I still have hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Today, Curbed posted a bunch of new renderings I've never seen before:

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:47 PM
She needs her space

Transbay Block 6/7

I think this equipment including derrick crane is on that block? Or at least next door.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:17 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-transbay.html

Quote:
Financing secured for $200 million Transbay highrise
Oct 25, 2013, 11:44am PDT J.K. Dineen

Another downtown residential tower is set to rise.

Golub & Co. is ready to start construction this fall on a $200 million, 32-story residential tower at 299 Fremont after securing financing from the Multi-Employer Property Trust and its advisor, Bentall Kennedy.

The 409-unit luxury high-rise complex will include an apartment tower, townhome residences, a ground-level courtyard and street-front retail.
Groundbreaking is expected by year-end 2013, with expected completion in late 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive