HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:54 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

I agree

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
"Forum is offline to do some major database reconstruction, and possible forum upgrades. We'll return in the morning!

In the meantime, go talk about video games at http://war-ensemble.com "
surprise sur-fucken-prise. Wasnt the fucken 3 week outage only half a year ago done so they would upgrade the server to one that can handle it for teh next 1-2 years?

If SSC was an airplane company, there would be alot of planes falling from the sky

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:48 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing767 View Post
surprise sur-fucken-prise. Wasnt the fucken 3 week outage only half a year ago done so they would upgrade the server to one that can handle it for teh next 1-2 years?

If SSC was an airplane company, there would be alot of planes falling from the sky
unlike the airline industry, you don't have to pay to use SSC.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:51 AM

Quote:

There's some problems with the backened database. Currently, at 12:50am my time, it is the best time to pull the site down and repair these minor glitches. Unfortunately it requires a complete overhaul of the database to do so.

Friday night/Saturday morning (my time) is traditionally the lowest traffic period of the week.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
unlike the airline industry, you don't have to pay to use SSC.
here we go again with the "i don't have to pay" blah blah blah

When you are operating a public service, whether you have to pay or not, it's patrons expect a reliable service regardless. If you pull into a gas station only to be confronted with an "out of order" pump, you get annoyed and will move on to another gas station. SSC loses big time in the reliability stakes. If it always stuffs up, the users are not going to be happy. If SSP can manage without having constant "server 500 bullshit errors" and other various forms of lengthy outages, then why cant SSC?

Sorry Daitengu but you are running a "business" of sorts here and in a business the constant string of errors and database stuff ups that are notorious to SSC are not acceptable.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:33 AM

Quote:

When you are operating a public service, whether you have to pay or not, it's patrons expect a reliable service regardless. If you pull into a gas station only to be confronted with an "out of order" pump, you get annoyed and will move on to another gas station. SSC loses big time in the reliability stakes. If it always stuffs up, the users are not going to be happy. If SSP can manage without having constant "server 500 bullshit errors" and other various forms of lengthy outages, then why cant SSC?

Sorry Daitengu but you are running a "business" of sorts here and in a business the constant string of errors and database stuff ups that are notorious to SSC are not acceptable.

SSP doesn't have 1/8 of the traffic SSC does, nor does it have 1/10 the posts, or even 1/8 the members.

If you'd like to move on to another gas station, be my guest. There will be 100 more members that will take your place tomorrow.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:38 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

^^ I for one really get annoyed when ppl go for the "You don't have to pay" excuse. For one, I did pay in SSP in monetary terms but when I request basic services to be done (i.e. complain when a troll is attacking me), I get little in return since such trolls are still here and never punished. And even in SSC, I did "pay" my own fair share of contributing to its current form, with two years of service leading Asian Skyscraper Forum to one of the largest and successful, relatively "troll free" forum they have up to my retirement, plus contributing even more to its growth by lobbying the branching out of the Philippine Forum successfully, which has become a major source of information for our local real estate industry.

I'm sure DaiTengu is doing his best and if there is a message to be said here, its that. Not the usual, "you don't have to pay" crap. No reason to belittle forumers who do have a legitimate complaint. Even that particular forumer contributes heavily to SSC given how famous it has became in Australia (to the point even the marketing dept of Eureka implied part of their target audience for their observation lounge are "skyscraper enthusiasts").

P.S., no offense JMancuso, I know you are cool and all. But I just had to vent that out and its not directed personally to you so I hope you understand...

Last edited by queetz@home; May 12, 2007 at 8:43 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:55 AM

Of course it is a business. Don't tell me the ads are free. How much money does SSC generate and how do the sponsors feel with all these technical failures?

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
Of course it is a business. Don't tell me the ads are free. How much money does SSC generate and how do the sponsors feel with all these technical failures?
Google ads, sir. Google doesn't care about technical failures.

Also, SSC costs more to run than it brings in. SSC, in it's current form, is Jan's HOBBY. If it was a business, you'd see a lot more ads.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:07 AM

Thanks for the info. But as it generates money, it is a business imo.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
Thanks for the info. But as it generates money, it is a business imo.
Then by your definition, anyone who works for a living is a business.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I'm sure DaiTengu is doing his best and if there is a message to be said here, its that.
This point bears repeating. DaiTengu is working his @ss of at times to get things working. Does he get paid? Nope. IMO so what if it was down a few hours this morning (my time)?
@Dai
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
This point bears repeating. DaiTengu is working his @ss of at times to get things working. Does he get paid? Nope. IMO so what if it was down a few hours this morning (my time)?
@Dai
Actually, I do get paid

I do this stuff for a living.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

it's not a business, it's a hobby.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Also, SSC costs more to run than it brings in. SSC, in it's current form, is Jan's HOBBY. If it was a business, you'd see a lot more ads.
Yeah sure. I doubt Jan doesn't get a paycheck and the site funding.
I know he never confirms or denies this, but a little critical thinking and it's a fairly obvious conclusion.
Not that it is anyone's business, but so many seem to think one person pays for it all out of his own pocket. Maybe he does, but I don't think so.

http://www.hoogbouw.nl/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
SSP doesn't have 1/8 of the traffic SSC does, nor does it have 1/10 the posts, or even 1/8 the members.
SSP also has a lot less off topic chat and trolls, so if you are using this as an excuse, maybe that's something to work on. Not that it's something you personally can control, but the "powers that be" don't seem to mind that there's probably as much off topic chat as there is discussion about projects, skyscrapers and urbanity.

As for people complaining being justified, I say yes they are. Just because it is a free site and just a hobby and not a business, doesn't mean that people (both regular forumers and mods) haven't put a lot of effort in it and made the place what it is. Kudos to you DaiTengu because from your posts I can gather that you put a lot of effort in it too and give it your best, but I'm done with that site. I know first hand what goes on behind the scenes and it aint pretty...

Last edited by SHiRO; May 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 4:04 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

^^ I agree with you 100% Shiro and yes, I too know first hand what goes on behind the scenes and can concur that it ain't pretty. For God's sake they got a bonafide troll modding the NASF!

But I don't think putting Jan in a negative spot is the right way. He has done a lot of service to the skyscraper community. It doesn't matter whether he pays for the site or has donors/sponsors that does so. Its there and because of him, he has given at least some of us (Non-North Americans) an excellent site where we can truly discuss skyscrapers, urban issues, and even economics and local current events. I for one made a lot of friends all over the world through SSC and that alone is enough reason to be forever grateful to Jan.

The issue here really is attitude of some people towards the forumers who do complain if there is a technical problem. The usual response is, "get out if you don't like" or "you don't have to pay" is extremely arrogant. Because at the end of the day, dedicated forumers, whether they be mods or regulars, do make SSC the successful site that we see today. Its not perfect, it does have the usual problems like trolling that cannot be avoided in such a huge site. But the fact that people here rant when SSC is down shows that they love the site, they want to keep visiting the site, and they want to continue contributing to its success. We all want the same thing, which is to have an excellent international forum where we can all participate and discuss our interests.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 9:20 PM

It's amazing how people bitch and complain when the site is down for a few hours, but no one notices when the site is running lightning quick with 5000+ users online.

yes, that's right, SSC broke, nay, _shattered_ the 5000 user online mark today, with 5,206 users online.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:51 AM
NothingBetterToDo

^^ yes, most ever users on-line wasn't it??

And it seemed to be going at pretty good speed, well done

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 9:01 AM

This thread always make me laugh. Keep it up people!

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 9:21 AM
YIMBY co-founder

hehe ssc's gotta be good if people start b*tching if it's offline for a couple hours...
/what addiction?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe