HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:30 PM

I just needed it. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:00 PM

Laval going LED with their 36,000 lights. Project started a few weeks ago.

2019 press release, in french only.

https://www.laval.ca/Pages/Fr/Nouvel...irage-DEL.aspx

More current press release, avlb in english.

https://www.laval.ca/Pages/En/Citize...-lighting.aspx

They just replaced my street lights last week. It's a pretty quick process. Took the guy less than 3-4 minutes per light.

Quote:
During the 1st phase, the City of Laval will begin the process of converting 29,000 street lamps to light-emitting diode (LED) technology. This project includes replacing street lamps, updating lighting levels and installing an intelligent control system. It is also aimed at transitioning to efficient, safe and environmentally friendly public lighting. Work operations will begin in the spring of 2021 and are slated for completion in the summer of 2022. Once this major project has been completed, the City of Laval will record energy savings close to 75%.

What are the benefits of LED lighting?

The city’s decision to adopt this technology in an effort to modernize its on-street electrical network was driven by 5 main reasons:

Improved visibility. In addition to standardizing lighting, the new LED lights provide better road visibility, thereby allowing residents to feel safer and more comfortable. LED lighting improves the perception of colours and shapes.

Benefit from reliable and sustainable technology. This technology is recognized for its strong energy efficiency potential and its durability. LED lights last 5 times longer than high-pressure sodium bulbs.

Record savings. Converting street lighting to LED technology will have a significant impact on the city’s energy consumption, with potential energy savings of up to 75%. Additionally, LED lighting requires less maintenance thanks to its longer useful life.

Protect the starry sky. In regards to the environment, LED directional light prevents light loss towards the sky. What’s more, the LED equipment installed is certified “Dark Sky” and optimizes the reduction of light pollution emitted by street lighting.

Less intrusive light. The City of Laval will install street lamps that will provide directional lighting directed towards the roadway and sidewalks. Thus, only the necessary places will be illuminated.

Make public lighting intelligent. The installation of a smart public lighting management system (SLMS) will allow the municipal team to manage its street lamp stock in real time. More effective detection of breakages or outages will make it possible to improve services to residents. Smart lighting systems also provide the option of modulating lighting intensity in accordance with needs.
Found the highlighted bit interesting. "Dark Sky" certification. Is that just a marketing gimmick or really a thing?

The 2019 link says they will be saving 2.75M$ per year, on what is a 34.5M$ project.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; May 4, 2021 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:59 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Mississauga replaced much of their street lights a few years ago...just the normal cool (slight blue-ish) LED lights. I don;t like them because they're more blue, and not as powerful as the cobra heads in terms of light dispersal.

As far as I'm aware of, other suburban areas in the GTA have converted most if not all their LED lights...but I can only say that for 3 different cities.

I'm happy Toronto has kept their acorn head street lights, they have an elegance to them....and they're pretty well distributed in the city, despite what happened in the decades since.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 9:57 AM

Twenty years ago, the organization of lighting of streets, parks, roads and other open objects was quite a complex and expensive event. But with the advent of ultra-bright LEDs with high light output and an exceptionally long service life, the situation has changed dramatically. Today, LED street lamps using the latest technologies are successfully replacing the classic ones – incandescent and arc. I use a cool lamp with amazon and also solar flagpole light that decorate my house.

Last edited by AronGlower; Aug 19, 2021 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:22 PM

on the right of the pic is Bunaby which is switched to LED and on the left is Vancouver which has not switched yet fully.

click pic its very large https://i.redd.it/otb54i113ay51.jpg

redd.it

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada