HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:06 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Its awesome that calgary is up there, but with no playoff experiance and the second half 9f the season here, it wont be easy. This is when the Jets took off last year and were unstopable, this is where and when teams go into overdrive. Also you have played alot more games the the Jets and Leafs so 2nd place will be short lived. No on os catchimg up to Tampa. And you dont want that presidents trophy. You win that you lose the cup. Its been proven hear after year. Tampa will be so worn out by playoff time i wouldnt be surprised they are out in first or second round.
Tampa rolls 4 lines better than any team in the league. Take a look at the TOI stats. Hedman is averaging 22 minutes a game. Kutcherov is less than 20. I doubt Vasilevsky gets to 50 GP, Domingue has been giving them decent starts. Cooper doesn't over work his horses.

They will not be tired or worn out come playoff time.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Tampa rolls 4 lines better than any team in the league. Take a look at the TOI stats. Hedman is averaging 22 minutes a game. Kutcherov is less than 20. I doubt Vasilevsky gets to 50 GP, Domingue has been giving them decent starts. Cooper doesn't over work his horses.

They will not be tired or worn out come playoff time.
Not to be a Leafs homer, but Marner is the only forward playing 19 minutes a game. That's with Nylander not playing the first half of the season and Matthews injured for 15 games. Reilly's in contention for the Norris right now playing 22 min/ game. Andersen has really been the one bearing the heaviest load, as evidenced by his injury over the past 3 weeks. Hopefully he comes back healthy and well-rested for the final push.

Obviously Tampa is still a better team.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:42 PM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:28 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Who says the Flames have no playoff experience? it's not a massive amount, but the Flames have 3 rounds since 2015 (sadly both times the Ducks ended the run) and guys like Giordano and Neal have much more. The Flames playoff hope pretty much entirely rest on the shoulders of Rittich, and he is where the team falls short in terms of experience. And saying we have played way more games than the Leafs or Jets is a bit of a stretch, we have played 2 more, and the Jets and Leafs would have to win those 2 games in hand for it to matter.
Giordano has LESS playoff experience than the Flames core, because of injuries causing him missing Flames’ playoff runs in 2009 and 2015.

I see no reason to be worried about his lack of playoff experience though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:54 PM

Oh right, forgot about that haha! Giordano has exactly 8 games of playoff experience...

Last edited by Calgarian; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:24 AM

Geez, the Flames are 2nd in league standings now. Gaudreau keeps racking up points. I thought the Flames were a piece short to be real SC contenders. Maybe not.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:43 AM

They still need a more reliable backup as Rittich has clearly taken the helm as starter now. Smith just doesn’t have it this season unfortunately. If he was having a season more like last year and Rittich was just giving solid backup netminding the Flames could be better than they are now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Geez, the Flames are 2nd in league standings now. Gaudreau keeps racking up points. I thought the Flames were a piece short to be real SC contenders. Maybe not.
They're still short of real contenders IMO. Mainly because of goaltending, and because most of their success rests on one line. Right now they're reminding me of Colorado a few years ago when they finished 2nd or 3rd overall.

Having said that, I believe the Flames aren't far off from being a legit contender. If Rittich continues to play well and becomes a solid goalie, and they can get one more solid player in the top 9 they could be a contender for the cup.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:08 PM

The Flames aren't short of contenders, we have 4 guys over 50 points and 3 solid lines. Gio is at 43 points and is one of the top D again this year, Brodie has had a resurgence and our top 4 D are the envy of most of the league. I'd say goaltending is our biggest weakness right now, Smith is shook and Rittich is carrying a very heavy load that he's mot used to, if something comes to bite us in the ass now it's going to be that. Fortunately Rittich's play has elevated us right now, last night was a pretty clear example of that, Colorado vastly outplayed the Flames for pretty much the entire game.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:26 PM

Many successful cup runs have been made on the back of a hot goaltender. Can Rittich be the Flames' Tim Thomas this year?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Many successful cup runs have been made on the back of a hot goaltender. Can Rittich be the Flames' Tim Thomas this year?
AS long as he stays healthy, I think yes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:31 PM
ハルウララ

If the Flames need a goalie it seems like a pretty good one is available in Columbus right now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:34 PM
Fake News

The insane part is that there is a possibility that the Flames could face Tampa Bay again for the Cup final. Revenge would be sweet.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:43 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If the Flames need a goalie it seems like a pretty good one is available in Columbus right now.
Hard pass.

The Flames are missing three pieces:

One more skilled RH shot forward.
Bottom pairing LH shot defenceman (maybe Valimaki, but no injury coverage if he goes down again).
Backup goalie.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Who says the Flames have no playoff experience? it's not a massive amount, but the Flames have 3 rounds since 2015 (sadly both times the Ducks ended the run) and guys like Giordano and Neal have much more. The Flames playoff hope pretty much entirely rest on the shoulders of Rittich, and he is where the team falls short in terms of experience. And saying we have played way more games than the Leafs or Jets is a bit of a stretch, we have played 2 more, and the Jets and Leafs would have to win those 2 games in hand for it to matter.
3 more games actually

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Flames aren't short of contenders, we have 4 guys over 50 points and 3 solid lines. Gio is at 43 points and is one of the top D again this year, Brodie has had a resurgence and our top 4 D are the envy of most of the league. I'd say goaltending is our biggest weakness right now, Smith is shook and Rittich is carrying a very heavy load that he's mot used to, if something comes to bite us in the ass now it's going to be that. Fortunately Rittich's play has elevated us right now, last night was a pretty clear example of that, Colorado vastly outplayed the Flames for pretty much the entire game.
Colorado os a good team, they would be a top team if they had a goalie. Trust me they plaued hard to the bitter end against my jets the other night.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Hard pass.

The Flames are missing three pieces:

One more skilled RH shot forward.
Bottom pairing LH shot defenceman (maybe Valimaki, but no injury coverage if he goes down again).
Backup goalie.
We aren't going to get another forward, I could actually see us trading a forward to get another Defenseman. And I think we will need to give Gilles a shot to see what he can do, Smith was shaky when Rittich was down, and I thought Gilles should have got a game.

Neal is a big question mark right now, I figured he would have had a break out game by now. Should the Flames trade him for a good D-man or hang onto him and hope he does well in the playoffs? Neal should be able to elevate his game in the post season and provide some scoring depth.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:45 PM
Near Generational

I don't think they will get another forward either, I was just offering my opinion on what pieces the team needs.

As far as Gillies is concerned, he's not the answer. His numbers in Stockton are god awful against AHL shooters, zero chance that improves, especially when you see how many quality chances the Flames have been giving up.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
We aren't going to get another forward, I could actually see us trading a forward to get another Defenseman. And I think we will need to give Gilles a shot to see what he can do, Smith was shaky when Rittich was down, and I thought Gilles should have got a game.

Neal is a big question mark right now, I figured he would have had a break out game by now. Should the Flames trade him for a good D-man or hang onto him and hope he does well in the playoffs? Neal should be able to elevate his game in the post season and provide some scoring depth.
Neal is probably untradeable now with that albatross of a contract and poor play, unless you want to trade him for Lucic, we are stuck with him.

Gilles lets in too many bad goals, Elliott-esque bad momentum killing goals, he's gone from a promising prospect to joining the pantheon of Flames never will be good enough for NHL goalie draft picks. Can't see a goalie trade, Treliving is too invested in Smith to give up on him.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:26 PM

I don't think Neal is untradeable, he hasn't done well this year, but he hasn't been properly utilized either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada