HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I have a PDF saved of the EA for the alignment saved on my PC - The HOVs end around Duckworth with 8 GP lanes running to the split. The NB HOV ends just north of Bayfield, with 5 GP lanes extending to Duckworth and 4 GPs afterwards, while there are 4 SB GPs running from the split down to just before Duckworth where an additional HOV opens up. The EA also doesn't identify the St. Vincent bridge as needing replacement.

This makes sense as the AADT for the 400 from Duckworth to the split in 2016 was only 66,000, compared to 120,000 between Essa and Dunlop further south. Traffic drops from about 100k to 80k between Bayfield and Duckworth, then again down to 66k between Duckworth and the 400 split.

The 400 north of the split isn't actually busy at all, a ton of traffic on the 400 gets off in Barrie. 4 GP lanes should be fine for a long time to the split. 66k is barely enough to justify 6-lanes, yet alone 8 lanes. Also likely why MTO isn't in a huge rush to replace Bayfield, the widening just isn't really needed north of there.
Thank you for them.

It would make sense that the HOV lane ends just short of the split as further north, most of the time they would not be needed. (I'll deal with the split below.) St. Vincent seems to have been over built way back when as it seems you could easily fit another few lanes under for each side. It looks like they are preparing to do it as the last time I was by, about 2 weeks ago, it look like they were staging just north of it on the NB side.

Quote:

SB the two lanes from each highway stay as is and become 4 lanes. NB, 3 lanes continue onto 11 before dropping to two lanes shortly after the split, and the 400 splits off with one lane and an auxiliary lane.
...What a mess!

So, instead of a clean 2/2 split of the 4 lanes, they will do a 3/2 only to have the extra lane end shortly after the exit? It ends before the flyover. They are just asking for traffic to back up there.

As far as widening and traffic, the times that this interchange becomes very busy is the weekends in the summer. I am fortunate to live up north, so I never sit in the mess going north on a long weekend.

Right now, the last exit north that the Highway could be widened to is Maple View Dr. Essa Rd, Dunlop St and Bayview St need to be done. Anne St is under construction. Tiffin St is done. St Vincent is good. Duckworth was done with the split construction that seems to finally be done....

I could see widening to be done to Highway 9 start soon, as Canal Rd would need some work, however they decide to do that. Then, they could widen to Essa Rd and fix Canal Rd at that time. Then, once the bridges are redone, extend it to the split. I could see all this happening in 10-15 years.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

Tiffin St is done.
As I noted in an earlier post. Tiffin is not done. They only build the outsides of the structure and not the median.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
T
...What a mess!

So, instead of a clean 2/2 split of the 4 lanes, they will do a 3/2 only to have the extra lane end shortly after the exit? It ends before the flyover. They are just asking for traffic to back up there.

As far as widening and traffic, the times that this interchange becomes very busy is the weekends in the summer. I am fortunate to live up north, so I never sit in the mess going north on a long weekend.
Can one really justify widening for a handful of weekends in the summer?

I think improvements to that section of 11 to Orillia would be far the better deal, even if it just remained four lanes.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
As I noted in an earlier post. Tiffin is not done. They only build the outsides of the structure and not the median.
Sorry. What I mean is that they don't need to reconstruct it, just aadd to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Can one really justify widening for a handful of weekends in the summer?

I think improvements to that section of 11 to Orillia would be far the better deal, even if it just remained four lanes.
Handful? From May Long Weekend till Labour Day Weekend every weekend is bad. Quick math is 3 months, 4 weekends a month, for roughly 12 weekends every summer. I'd say that is plenty reason to do it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:34 PM

The OnRoutes are finally getting EV fast chargers.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...819883411.html

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:02 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The OnRoutes are finally getting EV fast chargers.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...819883411.html
Taking credit for something GreenON was supposed to do before Douggie got in.

Douggie wants more EV sales but won't offer an incentive like the previous Libs did.

Guess they are 'Progressing' while still being 'Conservative'. PC= doing things that should have been done years ago. Better late than never (full Conservative?)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Taking credit for something GreenON was supposed to do before Douggie got in.

Douggie wants more EV sales but won't offer an incentive like the previous Libs did.

Guess they are 'Progressing' while still being 'Conservative'. PC= doing things that should have been done years ago. Better late than never (full Conservative?)
Yeah. Three chargers per location is pretty weak. They also had three government ministers for an announcement where the province didn't put in any money. But it is better than nothing. And good to see that the logjam between Canadian Tire, OnRoute and the charging networks has been figured out.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:40 PM

Nice as the OnRoutes are, it's always sort of bugged me, that the government never took the opportunity to develop them into real showcases of local and provincewide products. We just got a bunch of chain restaurants available anywhere else. Check out this eco-friendly service centre in the UK run by the Westmoreland Family. No chains. Everything sold there (including a farmshop with local produce, cheeses and a butcher) comes from within 30 miles.

Video Link

Video Link

Walkthrough of a second service centre run by the same family/group:

Video Link

I really wish we had done something like this to showcase so much of the great products of communities along the 401 and 400, and other great Ontario products. I would much rather see Balzac's coffee sold at OnRoutes than Starbucks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Just drove through the new divided section of highway 69. Not quite done, but should be fully open by Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:48 PM
National Capital Region

2+1 pilot project

Finally this gets pushed past the MTO bureaucracy...

Ontario Advances Critical Road Infrastructure in the North
Province seeking input on 2+1 highway pilot to improve road safety and support economic growth
https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...e-in-the-north
December 14, 2021

TEMISKAMING SHORES – The Ontario government is taking steps to help improve road safety and traffic flow in Northern Ontario with a 2+1 highway pilot on Highway 11 north of North Bay. The three-lane highway – with a centre passing lane that changes direction approximately every two to five kilometres – is part of the government’s plan to build Ontario by getting shovels in the ground on critical infrastructure projects that support safe communities, economic growth and job creation.

“Our government is moving forward with the first-ever 2+1 highway pilot in North America to help make our roads safer,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “We have heard resounding calls from local stakeholders to move this project forward, and we are delivering as part of our plan to build Ontario. Identifying potential pilot locations for further consideration is a big step forward, as our government continues to improve Ontario’s transportation network, helping people and goods get to where they need to go quickly and safely.”

The province has identified the top two locations for the proposed 2+1 highway pilot:
  • Highway 11 from Sand Dam Road to Ellesmere Road (14 kilometres)
  • Highway 11 from Highway 64 to Jumping Caribou Lake Road (16 kilometres)

Public and stakeholders can comment on the proposed 2+1 pilot locations on the Ministry of Transportation’s Technical Consultation Portal until January 11, 2022. The province will evaluate comments and announce the final 2+1 pilot locations to advance to preliminary design in January 2022.

“The 2+1 highway project is important for people and businesses across Northern Ontario who rely on our roads and highways every day to get where they need to go,” said Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, and MPP for Nipissing. “This pilot project along Highway 11 will help address some of the unique transportation challenges experienced by remote communities, including First Nation communities, and will play an important part in strengthening economic growth and job creation in the North.”

The pilot locations were selected based on a site selection criteria report that was posted for comment on the Ministry of Transportation’s Technical Consultation Portal on September 13, 2021, with input from 2+1 Advancement Working Group, which includes representation from Going the Extra Mile for Safety (part of the Temiskaming Shores and Area Chamber of Commerce).

Quick Facts
  • A 2+1 highway is a three-lane highway with a centre passing lane that changes directions approximately every two to five kilometres, separated by a barrier.
  • From April 2021 to March 2022, the Ontario government is committing $641 million to repair and expand provincial highways and bridges in Northern Ontario.
  • Ontario’s transportation plan for Northern Ontario includes more than 60 actions that will get more people moving, improve travel options for people in remote communities and support economic growth in the North.
Quotes
"The City of North Bay would like to thank the Ontario government for moving ahead with this important pilot project to help make highway travel in Ontario safer. This is especially important in Northern Ontario where winter conditions can be severe and some major corridors such as Highway 11 north are limited to two lanes."

- Al McDonald
Mayor of North Bay

"The Going the Extra Mile for Safety (GEMS) committee worked tirelessly to bring solutions to the table and continued to work closely with the Ontario government to prove that a 2+1 road system was a viable alternative. GEMS would like to thank Minister Mulroney and her staff very much for seeing and sharing our vision of safer roads and helping us to develop the first 2+1 pilot project in Ontario. This investment is an important step to show Northern Ontarians that our safety matters."

- Helene Culhane
Chair of Going the Extra Mile for Safety

"The member municipalities all along Highway 11 have for many years been in conversation with the province for a safer, more efficient and cost-effective solution for northern travel. We congratulate Minister Mulroney for taking a bold stance and supporting the efforts of the Going the Extra Mile for Safety (GEMS) committee and committing to this pilot project for a safer design and reconstruction of this highway. Today’s announcement of a 2+1 pilot project is welcome news for the north and promotes a solution brought forward by people from the north."

- Danny Whalen
Councillor, City of Temiskaming Shores and President of The Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities

Additional Resources
Connecting the North: A Draft Transportation Plan for Northern Ontario

Media Assets
2+1 Top Pilot Locations

2+1 Top Pilot Locations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:34 PM

the real question is if it will provide a median barrier (with gaps for driveways of course). Otherwise it's not that useful.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
the real question is if it will provide a median barrier (with gaps for driveways of course). Otherwise it's not that useful.
I’d assume so. That might be why MTO spent a long time investigating 2+1.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’d assume so. That might be why MTO spent a long time investigating 2+1.
My concern on these roads is what is going to happen to the forest roads. They typically don't have a turning lane. That may mean a lot more driving to go to a road.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:38 AM

Quote:
There will be a barrier because the main concern is head-on collisions that happen between North Bay and Temagami and especially with transports in the Winter. I've witnesses more than a few on that stretch.

There will be planning done for resource (logging, mining, etc) roads and access roads. None of the roads are very busy along the pilot sections.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 2:57 AM

Good for the MTO.

If there was a section of highway that would be optimal for a 2+1, that would be high on the list. It doesn't have many accesses, is trafficked enough to merit the safety improvement and windy/hilly enough that passing is frequent.

All the better that passing is limited to designated to dedicated lanes. It prevents foolish overtaking on these sections.

I look forward to seeing it.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:59 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

They have a point. The highways are already there and are massively underutilized.

Quote:
Durham Region mayors continue fight to have tolls removed from highways 412, 418

Mike Walker
CTV News Toronto Videojournalist

Published Monday, December 13, 2021 7:10PM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 13, 2021 7:10PM EST

The mayors of Durham Region are continuing the fight to have tolls removed from Highways 412 and 418.

Under the previous Liberal Government highways were built as part of the Highway 407 east extension, linking it with the 401.

In a letter recently submitted to Premier Doug Ford by Durham Regional Chair John Henry and all of the regions mayors, local leaders are urging the province to remove the tolls.

"Highways 412 and 418 in Durham Region are the only tolled north-south highways in Ontario," the letter states. "We have been consistent, and vocal, in our advocacy for fair and equitable application of tolls across the GTHA."

"You look over to the 418, there's nobody on it, roads were built for people to use and we have traffic issues getting people to work effectively , efficiently and moving goods," said Henry.

Regional officials are voicing concerns that motorist are avoiding using the tolled highways and instead using municipal and regional roads which is leading to congestion and capacity issues.

They argue it's unfair that the province is moving ahead with new highway projects including Highway 413 and the Bradford by-pass without tolls.

"For fairness why is this different than the 413? It takes the pressure off the other major routes going north and south roads - use the roads for the reason they were built," Henry said.

During peak periods, the rates for the highways varies from 29.87 cents per kilometer for light vehicles and up to 88.59 cents per kilometer for heavy multi unit vehicles.

"If you don't have a transponder there are the additional fees. It's not worth it when you have to go a short distance," said Whitby resident Rick O'Donnell, who avoids the tolled highways.

Earlier this month, Oshawa NDP MPP raised the issue during question period. The Minister of Transportation responded by blaming the previous Liberal government for signing a contract to put a toll on the highways.

"We know that those contracts are bad for Ontarians, it makes life more unaffordable and we will not do that going forward," Caroline Mulroney said.

French has previously tabled a bill to make the highways toll free, but was stalled in committee. French plans on re-introducing the legislation in the new year.

"The 412 and 418 are owned by the province, there is not some consortium involved, they are our highways, so this provincial government can chose to do whatever it wants."

The province has currently put a freeze toll-rates on the highway until the end of May 2023.

A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation wrote in an email to CTV News Toronto that the decision to toll Highways 412 and 418 predates their government.

"It was the previous Liberals, under the direction of then Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca, who built these highways and locked in a contract against drivers in Durham region to pay tolls for the next three decades," spokesperson Dakota Brasier said.

"As an immediate relief measure for drivers in Durham, we have extended the toll rate freeze on Highways 412 and 418 for the next two years."

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/durham-region-mayors-continue-fight-to-have-tolls-removed-from-highways-412-418-1.5705975

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 2:16 PM

People are scared of the tolls, they aren’t actually that expensive. The 412 costs $2-$3 to use. I use it to visit family in Brooklin occasionally and use it regardless of time of day since it saves so much time over using Lake Ridge.

But yea - it’s always empty.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
People are scared of the tolls, they aren’t actually that expensive. The 412 costs $2-$3 to use. I use it to visit family in Brooklin occasionally and use it regardless of time of day since it saves so much time over using Lake Ridge.

But yea - it’s always empty.
The 407 costs about $20 to use between the 400 and 401 W. That is ridiculous. I feel the push for the Bradford Bypass will be a good thing for the 407 becoming more affordable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 10:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
The 407 costs about $20 to use between the 400 and 401 W. That is ridiculous. I feel the push for the Bradford Bypass will be a good thing for the 407 becoming more affordable.
That’s more so for 413 to do. 489(?) is simply too far out.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 10:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That’s more so for 413 to do. 489(?) is simply too far out.
Too far out in what sense?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario