HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The density doesn't really matter if everyone's driving to and from places. You're simply left with a glorified suburb inside the city centre. Like, you can look at Brentwood Towers and say 'good density' but its existence hasn't changed Millidgeville from being a car-dependent suburb since being built, and it's likely that as built this development won't do that, either. We can probably get into a discussion on whether or not we should focus on Technology being more walkable (it's a dead-end at the top of a hill), but it's a poor precedent to set when we should be focusing on more active transportation and transit options in the city's core.

Two months after these are built all we'll be hearing about is how we need traffic lights at Millidge & Sussex and at Technology & Somerset. I don't want to play the NIMBY card but i'm sure people on Sussex Drive are thrilled about the idea of 500+ cars living above them.
Be interesting to see if staff addresses this in their report

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Be interesting to see if staff addresses this in their report
I wouldn't be shocked if the gas station that at the Millidge/Somerset intersection would be salivating at that news. =P

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:42 PM

There is a story about the development here: https://www.bbrokers.ca/60-technolog...uuDuq54AvXi_W4

Including this image:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:40 PM
Unregistered Loser

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 5:32 PM

I haven't seen the new residence at UNBSJ posted. I was running an errand and noticed the grim athletics centre is getting new cladding as well.

https://imgur.com/a/9K0YDI5

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 5:34 PM

Paintjob for the former Salvation Army... IDK. You'd think they would prioritize the Atlantic cladding.

https://imgur.com/a/cU8kHpm

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 5:35 PM

Brick veneer going up at the Telegraph. Looks nice in person. I was skeptical when they showed the material to the public a year ago but that was unfounded.

https://imgur.com/a/8ILdupj

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:37 PM

Reconstruction of Waterloo northeast of Castle is well underway, and Princess from Crown to Wentworth has begun from the Crown end. Wentworth from Elliot to Orange, the St. James-Canterbury-Germain-LCL area east of Prince William (which should reopen Germain to LCL), and the power line burying-including work on Charlotte from Trinity Church to Princess have yet to begin.

It will be nice to have Waterloo connect to Crown again for the first time since I can remember. My mom conformed it's been at least 15 years. Same with Germain/Ross and LCL, which has been closed for two generations. This pretty much leaves St James/Crown as the last 'lost' intersection I can imagine Saint John ever restoring.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 1:09 AM

While driving West on Highway 1 today I noticed a crane tower at Brunswick Square/Aliant Tower. I didn’t have time to pull over and take a pic. Does anyone know what is going on there?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
While driving West on Highway 1 today I noticed a crane tower at Brunswick Square/Aliant Tower. I didn’t have time to pull over and take a pic. Does anyone know what is going on there?
That might have been the crane for The Wellington which is across the street.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
That might have been the crane for The Wellington which is across the street.
It was in the right location for the Wellington but it looked considerably taller than the Aliant building. Not sure why they would need that kind of height for the Wellington which is still at ground level.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 12:41 PM

I saw the crane hauling something up to the Alliant building's roof. Likely just maintenance.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 6:18 PM

TJ says the feds are making an announcement related to the Saint John Airport tonight. Minister of Transport on site but it's likely just recovery money like Moncton got earlier today.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I saw the crane hauling something up to the Alliant building's roof. Likely just maintenance.
That was my first thought also.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 5:46 PM

Update from the City's social media:

Quote:
Year to Date, the One Stop Development Shop has received 402 permit applications with a value of $41.8 million. So far for July, nine new building permit applications have been processed with a value of $122,000. As of June 2021, 182 new units have been created in Saint John. To give context as to how great this news is, it is 2.5 times greater than the six-year average over the same time period. The six-year average for units created by the end of June is 71
For a city our size, and our recent history, hearing that we're added 182 units in six months is very good news indeed!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Update from the City's social media:

For a city our size, and our recent history, hearing that we're added 182 units in six months is very good news indeed!
Approx 230 more units will come online with near completion of Wentworth, La Calabria, Telegraph and Atlantic

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
It sounds to me like a new sign for the top of the building. If I recall correctly, one of the two nuclear start-ups had claimed to be taking over a significant lease in this tower. I might be wrong, but if true, they would likely get building signing rights. So, it could be a new logo for the top.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 10:55 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Residential market continues to be hot in greater SJ, according to the latest stats from that Saint John Real Estate Board. Homes are selling quickly, inventory is low and prices are rising dramatically.

Quote:
Saint John MLS® home sales once again set new all-time single month record in June

The number of homes sold through the MLS® System of the Saint John Real Estate Board totaled 340 units in June 2021. This was a sizable increase of 28.3% when compared to June 2020. This was also a new sales record for the month of June and was the highest level for any month in history.

Home sales were 32.7% above the five-year average and 55% above the 10-year average for the month of June.

On a year-to-date basis, home sales totaled a record 1,572 units over the first six months of the year. This was a substantial gain of 50.6% from the same period in 2020.

"The number of market-activity records that have been shattered in our region over the past year is nothing short of extraordinary,” said Corey Breau, President of the Saint John Real Estate Board. "Eight of the highest monthly sales totals in history have been recorded in the last 12 months. June sales again broke the all-time monthly record. Demand has shown no signs of waning and with new listings still barely keeping up with the pace of sales, overall inventory has again fallen to only slightly above the lowest level on record. These conditions are all contributing to the tightest market in the history of our region, and as a result, continue to put upward pressure on prices.”

The MLS® HPI composite benchmark also set a new record in June, marking the ninth consecutive year-over-year monthly double-digit percentage gain.

The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) tracks price trends far more accurately than is possible using average or median price measures. The overall MLS® HPI composite benchmark price was $224,700 in June 2021, rising 25.2% when compared to the same period last year.

The benchmark price for single-family homes was $225,500, increasing by 25.2% on a year-over-year basis in June. By comparison, the benchmark apartment price rose 24% to $154,000, when compared to the end of June 2020.

The average price of homes sold in June 2021 was a record $271,160, an advance of 35% from June 2020.

The more comprehensive year-to-date average price was $250,603, up sharply by 33.2% from the first six months of 2020.

The dollar value of all home sales in June 2021 was $92.2 million, a substantial increase of 73.3% from the same month in 2020. This was a new record for the month of June and was also the largest dollar value of homes sold for any month in history.

The number of new listings saw a modest gain of 5.1% from June 2020. There were 391 new residential listings in June 2021.

New listings were 5.3% below the five-year average and 12.7% below the 10-year average for the month of June.

Active residential listings numbered 665 units on the market at the end of June, a substantial reduction of 34.4% from the end of June 2020. Active listings haven't been this low in the month of June in more than two decades.

Active listings were 51.3% below the five-year average and 62.7% below the 10-year average for the month of June.

Months of inventory numbered 2 at the end of June 2021, down from the 3.8 months recorded at the end of June 2020 and below the long-run average of 9.1 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 2:49 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Just down the street, the warehousing building on the corner of Millidge & University is for sale for $2.6M.

https://www.bbrokers.ca/property/661...saint-john-nb/

It'll probably continue being used as some sort of warehouse or call centre but for such a property at such a high visibility intersection I think its days might be numbered. Something much more high-profile could and should end up here eventually.
This property has sold. Source: SOLD sign on the property

Meanwhile a sign for a "pad site opportunity" has been put up on the former Fire Department training site diagonally across from this property. It would be nice to see some more retail/food businesses set up shop in the area so I'm hoping (re)development of these properties proceeds quickly.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 8:54 PM

I didn’t get a picture but the apartments at Millidge And Daniel Ave have finally started construction. The foundation has already been poured.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces