HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 9:59 PM
Project manger

Sorry guys, been away for a while but will resume posting here soon with lots of updates.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:42 AM

Ground breaking for City Gardens today. Starting with a 600 stall 3 level parkade (1 of 2) that will take up most of the site, and first building to go up will be the tallest at 24 storeys. Sounds like only 2 of the houses were saved and moved. They must have been in rough shape.

Untitled , on Flickr

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/loc...mloops-5168679

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 8:02 PM

Found these pictures of one of the house moves. Photo Credit to Mike O'Reilly.

Original location

New location

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 4:24 AM

Very impressed with the City Gardens project. And for council to approve the levelling of an entire block of tired, rundown single family homes is very forward thinking. I know of a few cities in BC where residents would be up in arms about such a demolition.
"Think of the heritage we are losing!"
"Where will the low income tenants go?"

Way to go, Kamloops. Looking forward to watching this project take shape.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:29 AM

I was surprised too. Nothing I hate more than when people want to preserve buildings solely based on age. I'm all for preserving heritage buildings that are architecturally significant, but when people want to ruin developments because of an old Sears kit house, that bugs me. I think that's why there wasn't much push back here. These houses were nothing special other than their age.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:51 AM

The house they moved still has its mother f*cking Christmas lights lit. How the hell?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:31 PM

Ya the tenants slept through the whole thing, haha.

Infill downtown on 9th & Nicola St. Removing an existing duplex.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 9:32 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
I was surprised too. Nothing I hate more than when people want to preserve buildings solely based on age. I'm all for preserving heritage buildings that are architecturally significant, but when people want to ruin developments because of an old Sears kit house, that bugs me. I think that's why there wasn't much push back here. These houses were nothing special other than their age.
They were large houses for the Downtown. I thought they were quite nice, thank you very much.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:30 AM

That's cool. I know lots of people who really liked those houses.

Was working downtown this week so strolled up to the hospital to see the progress. Looks to be getting close.

Full on hazmat scene at City Gardens.

Majority of site is pretty much empty now.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:20 AM

Noticed the old Storms restaurant was torn down and checked out the developers website.

Untitled [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152832480@N05/]

Looks like this is what they're putting up on River Street. Nice to see another waterfront development, but this is not that appealing. I'll give it to them for being at least different. Gives off some 90's Miami vibes, haha. Will be interesting to see how it turns out since the renderings are pretty rough.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 8:02 PM
Project manger

I actually like that a fair bit. Way better hen the " RONA " designed condos and apartments you see going up all over the plaice.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:16 AM

I agree. Like this gem that was just approved on Tranquille.

Untitled

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 11:22 PM

City Gardens went on sale this past weekend and sold over 50% in one day. Looks like the penthouse that takes up the entire top floor sold as well. Nice to see the demand for this type of development in Kamloops. Hopefully it catches on with other developers. https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/loc...g-line-5422173

The Tranquille development https://tranquille.ca/ looks to be making some progress as well. Andrew Peller Ltd will be conducting soil analysis to determine what grape varieties are best suited for the property https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/loc...roject-5425691 Their website also looks to have some more renderings of the project. IMO this will be one of the more exciting projects in the city. Kamloops is in desperate need of single family land. The city is almost at build-out. Most recent study pegged only 3-4% of land in city limits suitable for lots. If this doesn't change prices will continue to go up.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:48 AM

Nice looking development, good for Kamloops! Top 5 fastest growing metro area in Canada, keep it up!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:28 AM

Am I misremembering this? I thought I read a few years ago that Golardi what is going to build a pedestrian bridge from the transit exchange over the trains into Pioneer Park. Was I high? Or was this actually a thing?

Also, love the bike lanes going up on Summit. Would love an extra traffic singnal on either Notre Dame or Springhill because both intersections you can only cross three ways.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 12:10 AM

I think you were high, haha. I've never heard of that happening. Would be sweet though.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:40 PM
Project manger

Kamloops airport

Expansion planned for YKA ??

With the population in the Kamloops-area well above the 100,000 mark, Airport Manager Ed Ratuski says it has triggered an automatic review by the airlines as the city is now considered a census metropolitan destination.

“Because we now formally have the population base to support more destinations, we are now actively talking with existing and new potential carriers for other opportunities to serve Kamloops,” Ratuski told NL News, saying it could lead to a number of new destinations potentially being added.

“Edmonton is a market that we are hoping to get back in service. As well, the demand to Victoria is recovering very well, and Toronto as well.”

WestJet announced a direct Kamloops to Edmonton flight which began service in July last year. It was cancelled in August as it did not perform as expected, which Ratuski says was due to the lack of available flight crews as well as a lack of passengers due to the pandemic and the summer wildfire season.

Back in December 2019, Swoop – WestJet’s ultra low-cost carrier – announced plans for a direct Kamloops to Edmonton flight which was to begin in April 2020. That flight never took off because of COVID-19.

Air Canada Rouge ran a direct Toronto to Kamloops flight in 2018 and 2019, but it too was the victim of a pandemic-related cut, while Ratuski says there has never been direct a direct flight from Kamloops to Victoria.

It is not just an expansion in the sky, Ratuski says the Kamloops Airport Society has been handed a list of on-the-ground expansion options. That includes an increased capacity for cargo, as well as allowing light-industrial companies to potentially move in.

“We are making sure that we maintain that available for aviation related cargo development as well as for businesses in the community to develop on airport lands,” he said.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:19 PM
Project manger

Monte Creek winery has finished construction on a new production facility that's been years in the making — a plant that could allow the winery to triple its production.

The new building is part of $10-million dollars worth of new infrastructure the winery has been working on since before the COVID-19 pandemic began in 2020.

Erik Fisher, general manager of Monte Creek, said the new facility was designed with sustainability in mind.

“It's really attributed to a belief that you can only produce great wines from balanced fruit and healthy vines,” Fisher said.

“And in order to do that, you need to foster soils that are truly alive, both above and below the soil.”

He said that sustainability has always been a core value for the winery.

Built into a hill, the new building is predominantly earth sheltered and maximizes earth cooling similar to a cave, the winery said. Monte Creek said the building was designed to operate passively for most of the year, reducing the winery's environmental impact.

“We're very committed to our people who lead the charge in quality, sustainability and innovation,” he said.

According to the winery, the 15,000 square foot building boasts 52 feet of vertical space, allowing gravity to process grapes gently rather than using the usual pumps — which Monte Creek winemakers believe will result in more elegant wine.

“If you can produce wine more delicately without pumping grapes through a hose, you give yourself a better opportunity to produce more elegant and more premium wines, particularly red wines, like Pinot Noir, which is very much a hallmark of our future wine program,” Fisher said.

The new facility will primary be used to process red wines, while Monte Creek's original facility will now be used to make white wines.

“We're [Monte Creek] always trying to think of our three core tenets, which is innovation, quality, and sustainability,” Monte Creek winemaker Galen Barnhardt said adding that the new facility really relates to the winery’s values.

“There's a bunch of us here that think sustainability is is front of mind.”

Along with the new facility, Monte Creek also unveiled its new 5,000-square-foot multi-use greenhouse space that will be used to propagate vines from January to May to expand the vineyard. For the rest of the year, the facility will be used for private, community and educational events.

Monte Creek said by propagating their vines on property, they reduce their carbon from long distance suppliers.

Barnhardt said though currently the winery doesn’t have a demand to triple its production, the added capacity will allow Monte Creek to grow with future demand and expand their business.

Castanet news

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Expansion planned for YKA ??

With the population in the Kamloops-area well above the 100,000 mark, Airport Manager Ed Ratuski says it has triggered an automatic review by the airlines as the city is now considered a census metropolitan destination.

“Because we now formally have the population base to support more destinations, we are now actively talking with existing and new potential carriers for other opportunities to serve Kamloops,” Ratuski told NL News, saying it could lead to a number of new destinations potentially being added.

“Edmonton is a market that we are hoping to get back in service. As well, the demand to Victoria is recovering very well, and Toronto as well.”

WestJet announced a direct Kamloops to Edmonton flight which began service in July last year. It was cancelled in August as it did not perform as expected, which Ratuski says was due to the lack of available flight crews as well as a lack of passengers due to the pandemic and the summer wildfire season.

Back in December 2019, Swoop – WestJet’s ultra low-cost carrier – announced plans for a direct Kamloops to Edmonton flight which was to begin in April 2020. That flight never took off because of COVID-19.

Air Canada Rouge ran a direct Toronto to Kamloops flight in 2018 and 2019, but it too was the victim of a pandemic-related cut, while Ratuski says there has never been direct a direct flight from Kamloops to Victoria.

It is not just an expansion in the sky, Ratuski says the Kamloops Airport Society has been handed a list of on-the-ground expansion options. That includes an increased capacity for cargo, as well as allowing light-industrial companies to potentially move in.

“We are making sure that we maintain that available for aviation related cargo development as well as for businesses in the community to develop on airport lands,” he said.
This sounds like it lines up with the new airport firehall that was just approved a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 4:55 PM
Project manger

North Show Neighborhood plan approved

Kamloops council has approved a new North Shore Neighbourhood Plan as pockets of redevelopment continue springing up in the area.

The plan — which includes new infill zones, ideas to activate the Thompson River waterfront and more — will guide land use from Overlanders Bridge north to the Halston Connector and west to Kamloops Airport.

The last area plan dates back to 2008. The city estimates slightly less than a third of the city’s population lives in the area and that it is estimated to grow significantly in the coming years. The plan points to specific populations and also outlines income, housing types, age distribution and more for the area. However, data was pulled from the 2016 Canadian census and the information is six years old and quite outdated.

Council voted this week to adopt the plan in an unanimous vote of 9-0.

Mayor Ken Christian noted his attendance last weekend at several events in North Kamloops, including the Tapestry Festival, and said the North Shore Neighbourhood Plan sets the table for private sector investment and increased vibrancy.

“I truly hope that they do [invest] because I think the potential is great,” Christian said. “I think the profitability is great and certainly the majority of our population live on the North Shore, at this point in time, and would really welcome some of the amenities that we envision there.”

Council discussed the plan at a recent committee of the whole meeting. Staff also consulted with a variety of people, businesses and organizations over multiple years leading up to the plan’s adoption, including students at Brocklehurst middle school who did a class project to brainstorm ideas for amenities they would like to see on the North Shore.

So-called “big moves,” or design concepts that could act as key redevelopment areas or catalyst projects, are identified in the plan and include a cultural village and innovation hub in the Tranquille Market Corridor, new missing-middle (duplexes, triplexes, etc.) housing, a civic park and public amenity building at the southern end of Northills Shopping Centre, a new waterfront park along Schubert Drive, extension of Rivers Trail and expanded cycling infrastructure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia