HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Division west of there already appears to have improved dramatically.
Got that right.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
^ Really? Am I missing something? That's not all that I see when I visit that area, at least for now...
I've lived near Chicago and Ashland for about seven years. It's been a constant drip of new businesses and infill; even during the recession years there was a great deal of SFH construction south of Chicago. And real estate prices between Chicago and Division held up relatively great.

There's a pincer movement of gentrification closing in on this area from Division/Wood and Fulton Market areas. In 2007 we had the Green Zebra, Swim Cafe and the West Town Tavern, but there was no Ruxbin, Five Star, Hoosier Mama, Roots, Branch 27, La Farine, Mexique, Coal Fire, Frontier, Gaudi, Two Butterfly Sushis, Noble Grape, Lush, Aberdeen Tap, Butcher and Larder, Clutch, etc. Not to mention a ton of less notable put more upscale retail infill and several good-sized apartment buildings on Chicago Ave.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:00 AM

Today
Anyone know what is going in here?
Clark and Maple

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Got that right.
Speaking of constant wicker park improvements, what ever happened to 1815 Division St? They knocked down the lumber yard last fall, but the site has been vacant since. It has created a huge gap in the strip where a building and a couple of restaurants were supposed to set up shop.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Today
Anyone know what is going in here?
Clark and Maple
That's a good sign. That space next to D&B has been vacant a long time.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:57 AM

Also, just heard on wgn that they broke ground on the Bulls practice facility today.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:59 AM

[QUOTE=XIII;6160263]Speaking of constant wicker park improvements, what ever happened to 1815 Division St

Was wondering the same thing. That area is packed almost nightly. One would think developers would be moving as fast as possible to get these smaller units up in this area.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:18 AM

Just a side note, it appears that construction is finally imminent on the JGMA designed NEIU El Centro Campus:

curbed.com

I saw more utility crews on site the other day and they just delivered a rock pulverizer and construction trailer on site today. Looks like they are planning to do some big time excavation of some concrete slabs judging by the size of the equipment they delivered. I can't wait for this beauty to get underway.

I hope this uses the same color shifting material they used on that building they built down on Western and 26th street on this building so it changes color as you drive by.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 11:41 AM

Today
The Madison near Racine and Madison.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:51 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Speaking of constant wicker park improvements, what ever happened to 1815 Division St? They knocked down the lumber yard last fall, but the site has been vacant since. It has created a huge gap in the strip where a building and a couple of restaurants were supposed to set up shop.
I see you were at the developer's presentation. Last update was 1815 W Division is still on track, working through the permits phase. The project was reduced to 4 floors total with less units & parking than this rendering indicates. Proposed Lettuce Entertain You restaurants to occupy the retail space. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:58 PM

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...le-spot-people

I'm glad they're doing more of this. One of my biggest gripes about the city is the fact that there aren't enough intimate public plazas where people can just hang out. I'm not talking about parks, but plazas. Maybe I'm just a snob for Europe though...but they can be amazing

This is part of the "Make Way For People" initiative:
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...or_people.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
I see you were at the developer's presentation. Last update was 1815 W Division is still on track, working through the permits phase. The project was reduced to 4 floors total with less units & parking than this rendering indicates. Proposed Lettuce Entertain You restaurants to occupy the retail space. Stay tuned.
The floor reduction bugged the hell out of me. It is literally 2 blocks from train station and the "neighbors" still freaked about cars. I was hoping they quietly tacked on the additional floor when no one was looking.

I can dream, can't I?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 4:20 PM
The City

Quote:
Last update was 1815 W Division is still on track, working through the permits phase.
They're not the only ones. I've been waiting now over 6 months for a building permit for a much smaller project. Absolutely ridiculous.

"City that works", huh?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
They're not the only ones. I've been waiting now over 6 months for a building permit for a much smaller project. Absolutely ridiculous.

"City that works", huh?
You just aren't bribing the right people I guess...

Seriously though, are you using an expediter or did you just submit them yourself? I'm moving right along in the permitting process for a very complicated project that I'm working on that requires a zoning review and everything and hope to have my permits in about 60 days (90 total).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You just aren't bribing the right people I guess...

Seriously though, are you using an expediter or did you just submit them yourself? I'm moving right along in the permitting process for a very complicated project that I'm working on that requires a zoning review and everything and hope to have my permits in about 60 days (90 total).
^ The architect I hired does his own expediting. My project had its own complications (Alderman stuff, easement from the neighbor) that, to be fair, probably added about 2 months to the process.

Either way, no I'm not 'paying anybody off' nor have I felt the need to do that up until this point. I imagine if I ever move on to bigger projects some day that could change...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
The floor reduction bugged the hell out of me. It is literally 2 blocks from train station and the "neighbors" still freaked about cars. I was hoping they quietly tacked on the additional floor when no one was looking.

I can dream, can't I?
^ I don't get it. Isn't this the same neighborhood group that wanted a dense project at the site that is currently the 'Tower of Pizza Hut'? I was under the understanding that they supported density in this area..

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:29 PM
dream fast

^ The neighborhood group East Village Association does want density, but in the right locations. A dense transit oriented, 11 story 'Tower of Pizza Hut' makes perfect sense at the busy corner of Ashland & Division. However, further west at Division & Honore, less density was desired by the neighbors. 4 stories is the current norm along that strip, so 5 stories would have set a new precedence, opening the door to who knows what down the road. I know it's fine line but that's the rational behind the final plan/decision.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:36 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
^ The neighborhood group East Village Association does want density, but in the right locations. A dense transit oriented, 11 story 'Tower of Pizza Hut' makes perfect sense at the busy corner of Ashland & Division. However, further west at Division & Honore, less density was desired by the neighbors. 4 stories is the current norm along that strip, so 5 stories would have set a new precedence, opening the door to who knows what down the road. I know it's fine line but that's the rational behind the final plan/decision.
It's a dumb rationale. The problem with NIMBY types and "community groups" is that they never, ever recognize that they shouldn't rule areas as if it's their own. Even if someone grew up in that area and lived their whole life there, their entire lifespan would cover less than 1/3 of the history of incorporated Chicago, and an even smaller portion of the entire history of development in the Chicago region. Planning based on what local residents want, with no grounding in objective evaluation of the facts is a waste of everyone else's money and time.

That site at Honore is still only 1/4 mile (a 5 minute walk) from a subway station. Restricting density there to begin with is irrational, and restricting it to only 4 stories is beyond irrational and become theft, stealing the opportunities that were paid for by the city at large when Rapid Transit was installed mere blocks away.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:52 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's a dumb rationale. The problem with NIMBY types and "community groups" is that they never, ever recognize that they shouldn't rule areas as if it's their own. Even if someone grew up in that area and lived their whole life there, their entire lifespan would cover less than 1/3 of the history of incorporated Chicago, and an even smaller portion of the entire history of development in the Chicago region. Planning based on what local residents want, with no grounding in objective evaluation of the facts is a waste of everyone else's money and time.

That site at Honore is still only 1/4 mile (a 5 minute walk) from a subway station. Restricting density there to begin with is irrational, and restricting it to only 4 stories is beyond irrational and become theft, stealing the opportunities that were paid for by the city at large when Rapid Transit was installed mere blocks away.
I'm sure 5 stories would have worked but 4 fit the context better. Directly across Division to the NW is a very similar mixed use development at 4 stories. 1 more valid issue is that LaSalle II Elementary School is directly across the street. Honore St will be the primary egress for 1815 W Division resident parking & traffic. Sharing Honore St with the school's morning & afternoon drop-off & pick-up program was a very heated concern sensitive to the school, residents & Alderman.

Last edited by george; Jun 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I'm sure 5 stories would have worked but 4 fit the context better. Directly across Division to the NW is a very similar mixed use development at 4 stories. 1 more valid issue is that LaSalle II Elementary School is directly across the street. Honore St will be the primary egress for 1815 W Division resident parking & traffic. Sharing Honore St with the school's morning & afternoon drop-off & pick-up program was a very heated concern sensitive to the school, residents & Alderman.
I grew up walking to school, starting in kindergarten. I probably don't have to elaborate my thoughts on kowtowing to drivers, parents or not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development