HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Lathrop Homes Developer: High-Rise Part of Plan Despite Alderman's Dissent

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...arousel_slot_1
I cant believe people's broad irrational opposition to highrises. Their is no valid argument against one for this development. Being a mixed income development this is not the second coming of cabrini green, and the 'out of place' argument is just as ridiculous. If the developer is seeking a certain number of units to turn a profit, while also maintaining the existing low-rise buildings, then a high rise may just actually make sense economically.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I'm going to be giving a presentation at work on some of the areas in the city undergoing redevelopment. I'd like to include the McCormick area, but I haven't been paying as close attention to that one as others.

What's a good summary of the new developments around McCormick that should make it a better destination for cons and expos?

-New green line station
-New Marriott
-Some other hotels I can't remember
-Would the stadium be relevant for that?
Supposedly, theres also a beautification project for Motor Row and the vicinity that is upcoming (infrastructure upgrades, reconfiguration of Michigan Avenue etc) to help make the area more of an entertainment district. They were to use over 6 million in public funds for this, but I havent seen any construction actually take place yet.

There is also a boutique hotel that would be built on the same block as the new Depaul arena. Another boutique hotel was previously slated for Motor Row as part of a 'Cheap Trick' themed development, but I believe that will no longer happen.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 3:44 AM
Urbane observer

And I'm not sure of the status of the Hilton Garden Inn in the Cowles Cadillac Building, SWC 23rd/Indiana. Haven't heard anything for several years.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:05 AM

This project takes a big step forward.
(I like how Spielman writes this whole article - she enjoys shining a light on some of the petty politics of getting things done around the city.)

www.suntimes.com/news/22673570-418/expansion-of-tifs-okd-for-norfolk-southern-rail-yard-in-englewood.html

Expansion of TIFs OKd for Norfolk Southern rail yard in Englewood
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter September 19, 2013

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s plan to strengthen Chicago as a rail and freight hub got back on track Thursday after a monthlong political derailment.

The Chicago Plan Commission agreed to expand a pair of tax-increment financing districts needed to allow Norfolk Southern Railroad to proceed with a $285 million expansion of the railroad’s intermodal yard in Englewood.

The massive project would enlarge by 57 percent and 84 acres an existing rail yard bounded by 47th, Wallace, Garfield and Stewart where rail containers are transferred to and from trucks.

Englewood residents and their environmental champions have extracted a string of concessions from Norfolk Southern ... . The railroad also has promised to contribute $3 million toward transportation improvements, thousands more to area schools and to donate unused rail spurs that the city hopes to convert into an elevated bike trail akin to the Bloomingdale Trail.

At Emanuel’s behest, the City Council already has given Norfolk Southern the go-ahead to purchase 105 city-owned lots for $1.1 million to pave the way for the massive expansion of the railroad’s intermodal yard.

The project will be completed in phases. It will begin with making the yard more efficient by closing off 58th Street and putting in a Y-connection that would allow the railroad to access the western portion of the intermodal facility that now functions as two separate yards.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
This project takes a big step forward.
(I like how Spielman writes this whole article - she enjoys shining a light on some of the petty politics of getting things done around the city.)

www.suntimes.com/news/22673570-418/expansion-of-tifs-okd-for-norfolk-southern-rail-yard-in-englewood.html

Expansion of TIFs OKd for Norfolk Southern rail yard in Englewood
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter September 19, 2013

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s plan to strengthen Chicago as a rail and freight hub got back on track Thursday after a monthlong political derailment.

The Chicago Plan Commission agreed to expand a pair of tax-increment financing districts needed to allow Norfolk Southern Railroad to proceed with a $285 million expansion of the railroad’s intermodal yard in Englewood.

The massive project would enlarge by 57 percent and 84 acres an existing rail yard bounded by 47th, Wallace, Garfield and Stewart where rail containers are transferred to and from trucks.

Englewood residents and their environmental champions have extracted a string of concessions from Norfolk Southern ... . The railroad also has promised to contribute $3 million toward transportation improvements, thousands more to area schools and to donate unused rail spurs that the city hopes to convert into an elevated bike trail akin to the Bloomingdale Trail.

At Emanuel’s behest, the City Council already has given Norfolk Southern the go-ahead to purchase 105 city-owned lots for $1.1 million to pave the way for the massive expansion of the railroad’s intermodal yard.

The project will be completed in phases. It will begin with making the yard more efficient by closing off 58th Street and putting in a Y-connection that would allow the railroad to access the western portion of the intermodal facility that now functions as two separate yards.
Plain and simple, it's good to see a company investing in freight infrastructure and also adding jobs in a place that desperately needs them. But you must at least agree to some extent that when they buy city owned property and also receive public money, there will need to be some consensus when it comes to ensuring environmental safety and traffic restrictions. There just needs to be a delicate balance and the community discussion needs to be there. Maybe it sounds like "petty politics" but I'd add that the discussion and negotiations allow for transparency and even better....cooperation to getting some of the abandoned railways converted to something useful to the community.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:12 PM

GEMS School LSE

Shooting up pretty quickly, eh?

If you're interested, tuition for 5th grade is only $37,000 according to this DNAinfo article.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:25 PM

^ Holy cow! This one sure creeped up on me. Lots of progress!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Nice progress at the Illinois Masonic Outpatient Expansion

If you can't find a magnifying glass, here's the link
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?p...85389833940583

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Sep 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Inexplainable internet issues.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
^ Holy cow! This one sure creeped up on me. Lots of progress!
Agreed!! I can't believe how much progress occurred on Gems!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 9:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ To be honest, what can be built as-of-right there is basically exciting enough for me. Make it kind of modern and funky, and there you go. I certainly don't think we need tall buildings all over town. I am all about midrise density
BlitzLake is still trying to build "taller than 5-6 stories" at the Belmont/Clark site, according to Tunney's spokesperson.

Tunney also personally owns, and is selling off, most of the buildings on the south side of Belmont between Clark and Wilton. These may also become redevelopment targets - they are in a -3 zone, on a Pedestrian Street, and near a CTA station, so they qualify for the full gamut of parking reductions and density increases in the new TOD ordinance.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 11:37 PM
The City

Couldn't Tunney sell his buildings at a premium with the promise to support an upzoning? Sure it's sneaky and corrupt as hell, but this is Chicago, after all..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 12:39 AM
tilted & shifted

Earl Shapiro Hall at U of C, designed by Valerio Dewalt Train

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Sep 21, 2013 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Studio Gang's new residence hall at University of Chicago
Sorry man, but that is the new UC Lab School by VDT.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:15 AM
tilted & shifted

^Thanks. Had my wires crossed.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Sorry man, but that is the new UC Lab School by VDT.
Regardless, it is an awesome photo and building.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:16 AM
TL;DR

Love it. Kinda reminds me of a '59 Bel Air.

src

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:56 PM

Depaul arena proposal from Pelli, more photos:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:57 PM
TL;DR

McCormick/DePaul Arena

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Depaul arena proposal from Pelli
I really hope the language suggesting that the Pelli design is the "recommended" option allows some wiggle room, because this proposal is nowhere close to being as thought out as the other competing design I have seen.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:11 PM

^^^ how so?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development