HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:22 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
It would be a great spot to put up a 2 or 3 story parking garage but the major drawback during construction is where would you park everyone that works at Heritage Court. I am confident that the city will come up with a plan on this issue. The major problem I see witha parking garage there is only one way in and one way out and instead of having city of moncton employees handle the in and out have a self serve pay station to alleviate the pre and post game conjestion.
Harbour Station allows employees from around Uptown to use its parking lot during the day and the lot switches to event parking in the evening. I'm sure Moncton could introduce a similar practice without too much issue. Events starting at 1900 or 1930 local shouldn't get too in the way of employees leaving work at 1600 or 1700.

The biggest issue I see with that lot is the number of people who will be attempting to cross the rail tracks as a shortcut. I know this issue has been brought up before but a pedestrian bridge/tunnel would be the easiest remedy for this.

The idea of a parking garage doesn't sit overly well with me. A parking garage will supplant current surface parking in the Downtown and unless there are legitimate plans to convert all surface parking to developments which forces people to utilize the garage the City of Moncton will run into similar issues that Saint John had with its Peel Plaza garage - lack of users due to cheaper alternative options (surface parking). Moncton should be looking at transit options and creating better transit connections with the new events Centre whilst making it easier for pedestrians from the Downtown to access the Centre.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a photo as good as the second one to show people how underdeveloped and underutilized the downtown core just really has been all these years. Look at all that surface parking and lack of density.

I understand that parking is not an issue that can be ignored for some but I also dream of a downtown Moncton in 5-10 years that sees much of that space better utilized and collecting high taxes, and a fully revitalized St George that operates like a bustling Spring Garden in Halifax.

5 years ago that would I would not have thought that was a possibility..now it is not so far off.

One option I haven't seen mentioned in many places is to use the large surface lot on the Nissan/Rally Motors property on west main. Has anyone heard mention of this at the meetings?

This wouldn't be needed for all events. But I am thinking for events that are going to be large crowds. Have people park here and pay a 2 dollar fee and bus them over (particularily in winter). Use school buses that would not be utilized during this time of day anyway. Moncton hasnt shyed away from doing this for events like Fifa or Magnetic Hillconcerts. Why not for events expecting large crowds ? A tuesday night Wildcats game in November against Victoriaville wouldnt need this but the opening night of the arena for example would be a terrific test.

That lot seems like a huge waste when it is so close to the events centre. In larger cities people would have no issue walking to the arena from there.
I do believe there is already a Buyer/Developer in place for the land after Rallye Motors Nisan dealership moves to the new location (If they do plan to move that dealership) to the lots at the corner of Carson, and Commercial where the Rallye Motors Hyundai is located now.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a photo as good as the second one to show people how underdeveloped and underutilized the downtown core just really has been all these years. Look at all that surface parking and lack of density.
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed as well. The amount of surface parking in that pic is insane.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 4:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The biggest issue I see with that lot is the number of people who will be attempting to cross the rail tracks as a shortcut. I know this issue has been brought up before but a pedestrian bridge/tunnel would be the easiest remedy for this.
There are at least tentative plans for a pedestrian tunnel under the CN tracks. You can see this on the site plan.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There are at least tentative plans for a pedestrian tunnel under the CN tracks. You can see this on the site plan.
I clearly didn't pay close enough attention to the site plan. Thanks MR.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 10:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I clearly didn't pay close enough attention to the site plan. Thanks MR.
Here is an image showing a pedestrian crosswalk across the Highfield Street extension heading towards the south towards the tunnel.

I also recall an image explicitly mentioning a tunnel, but I can't find it right now.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:10 PM

I spy with my little eye, steel on the site today!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:18 PM

Excuse me if this has been discussed here somewhere earlier but does this image show the Crowne Plaza upgrades, if so it would be quite an upgrade in size to it's current state, every other building seems to be represented accurately.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I spy with my little eye, steel on the site today!!
Does this mean the arrival of the tower cranes is imminent? Rumour is that there will be two of them.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Does this mean the arrival of the tower cranes is imminent? Rumour is that there will be two of them.
Checkout the webcam. One crane is there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
Excuse me if this has been discussed here somewhere earlier but does this image show the Crowne Plaza upgrades, if so it would be quite an upgrade in size to it's current state, every other building seems to be represented accurately.
I overlaid the sketch over Google Maps and while the different perspectives skew things, you're right that Crowne Plaza is the only building that's noticeably different.

The hotel itself appears intact (again, perspective), but the old bus terminal and most of the parking lot is replaced with a building that appears to be roughly 3 storeys high. They even took care to show a new sidewalk/entrance on the north side. I don't think anyone here is aware of anything concrete, so the city might have had a peek at a preliminary conceptual plan. On the other hand, it could be artistic liberty, just like other renderings which show a large building on the triangular lot...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Tower cranes, not mobile ones. But having a mobile crane is a good first step.

Of course that 1 crane may be setting up the Tower crane. On the webcam it looks like where the crane foundation would be.

*Edit* Looking at the foundation footprint pictures from a couple days ago, I only see 1 crane foundation, midway on the left edge in this picture.

There might be a second crane foundation in the right corner as well; but that looks like an awkward place for a crane set up and removal.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Tower cranes, not mobile ones. But having a mobile crane is a good first step.
How tall will the centre rise? Is there a need for a tower crane?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
How tall will the centre rise? Is there a need for a tower crane?
It will be the equivalent of a 7-8 storey building. Tower cranes will be necessary both for the height of the building and the large footprint.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Chances are the mobile crane is off loading tower crane parts.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 2:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Parking solution coming for the new Events Centre??

The following images are from the June PAC agenda for the city of Moncton

Heritage Resources Inc (Heritage Court) is seeking approval for several offsite parking lots, most notably this one to the south of the CN mainline, opposite the site of the new events centre.

The area in question is outlined in red, and wraps around the Department of Health Building on Albert Street.

There is a more detailed site plan for the portion of the property to the east of the DOH Building, immediately across from Heritage Court.

There are three gated entrances into this (presumably) pay parking lot. Presumably the lot would be used by Heritage Court during the daytime, but be available for use by the events centre in the evening. This section of the parking area holds nearly 900 cars. If you add in the area on the opposite side of the DOH Building, I would imagine that you are getting up to about 1500 parking spaces.

If approved, this will go a long way to alleviating peoples concerns about parking at the events centre.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
No tower crane to my knowledge, there will be a large crawler crane and the small crane that is currently on site.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicted View Post
No tower crane to my knowledge, there will be a large crawler crane and the small crane that is currently on site.
Hate to say it but this might be true because there is now and unplanned assembled base to a large crawler crane now on site

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 11:42 PM

They need that crane to put the larger crane together

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:

There are three gated entrances into this (presumably) pay parking lot. Presumably the lot would be used by Heritage Court during the daytime, but be available for use by the events centre in the evening. This section of the parking area holds nearly 900 cars. If you add in the area on the opposite side of the DOH Building, I would imagine that you are getting up to about 1500 parking spaces.

If approved, this will go a long way to alleviating peoples concerns about parking at the events centre.
Let's not forget, the Coliseum has 1,995 official parking stalls front and back of the Coliseum.

So if 1,500 parking spaces are reality south of the tracks, then you can easily add 500 more side street parking spots north of Main street. Not even counting downtown Main.

Look like we may have that parking issue resolved!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces